PDA

View Full Version : Importing goods from USA

Jack
14-09-05, 01:36 PM
Has anyone had any experience of importing stuff from America? I've found some wheels I like, and not sure whether its worth having them shipped over here.

UPS have quoted me about ?200 (thats for 4 packages of approx 25lbs each) door to door; does this seem a good price? Any comments/experience of their USA to UK parcel services?

I'm also concerned about having hassle or to pay additional taxes or charges at customs - the wheels are worth about ?400, is this likely to incur any charges?

FlatBeatBoy
14-09-05, 01:40 PM
the only thing i ever shipped to america... was a computer case + ge-force 6800 and that cost me a 100quid and it got there in 2 weeks

burgo
14-09-05, 02:02 PM
ive imported lots of engine parts from america. the only thing you have to watch out for is value added tax when it gets to here

Jack
14-09-05, 02:06 PM
As in 17.5%? I'm assuming you pay it every time, I doubt I could get away with marking 4 heavy boxes as "gift" lmfao

Tbh I'm not too worried on that, as on ?400 it'll only be an extra ?70, and (with ?200 shipping) ?670 is still pretty good for a set of 18's that nobody else over here has

burgo
14-09-05, 02:07 PM
As in 17.5%? I'm assuming you pay it every time, I doubt I could get away with marking 4 heavy boxes as "gift" lmfao

Tbh I'm not too worried on that, as on ?400 it'll only be an extra ?70, and (with ?200 shipping) ?670 is still pretty good for a set of 18's that nobody else over here hasyeah i spose its still not bad. thing is when i had some stuff imported it came to ?1000 worth thats when the tax gets nasty

General Baxter
14-09-05, 02:08 PM
oh thee joys! remember that intercooler ;)

the thread which turned into whats for dinna :lol:

burgo
14-09-05, 02:11 PM
lol the intercooler i got from america was huge,

MARTIN KELSON
14-09-05, 02:21 PM
We inport from USA everday at work just be careful thats its shipped as duty paid and not to pay or Mr UPS will be knocking on your door for the VAT which could cost a fortune.
I'am lucky here part of our company is in Dublin and you dont pay duty shipping into Ireland so i ship USA-Ireland-UK and dont pay tax and get company to pay the freight from Ireand to!!!

Just be careful.

Dave
14-09-05, 05:45 PM
i got my latest paintball gun from the states
only problem i had was that customs nabbed it for ages as it was marked as 'paintball gun' on the shipping note
think if he'd have put marker it would have been fine!