PDA

View Full Version : Where do I stand with this????

Mr-G
14-09-05, 12:53 PM
From a legal stand point if i was to paint out my rear quarter windows and tailgate window where would i stand. i Know that a certian amount of light has to be let though the front windows and windscreen but what about the rears??

cheers

Jack
14-09-05, 01:11 PM
As far as I'm aware the rules only cover the front windows and windscreen - rears (including the rear windscreen) are not covered. Hence why some MPVs and what not have very dark tinted rear windows whilst the fronts are much lighter.

NovalutionGSi
14-09-05, 01:17 PM
and also Panel vans... basiclly your creating a Van by painting the rear windows and thats how the law will see it.

Mr-G
14-09-05, 01:19 PM
so i can paint all the rear windows out and the law wont have a problem with it, nice one will have to do that then :)

Jack
14-09-05, 01:22 PM
Would paint be ok on the glass though? I'd have thought you'd be better with proper metal van panels, or maybe even fibreglass panels... be a bit lighter than the glass too

Mr-G
14-09-05, 01:23 PM
well its just basically so people cant see into the back of the car without having to spend ?200 on tints, i would rather put that money into the engine or suspension tbh

burgo
14-09-05, 02:03 PM
i wouldnt be suprised if paint would just flake off.

Mr-G
14-09-05, 02:10 PM
i wouldnt be suprised if paint would just flake off.

depends on what u use, i will be using proper glass paint

sickrabbit
14-09-05, 03:04 PM
Dont be surprised if you attract more attention , as it will appear that you have something to hide . Many of my friends have also noticed , that once the windows were even just tinted Mr Plod certainly reacted in a more intrusive manner and they were stopped more.

NovalutionGSi
14-09-05, 03:14 PM
ah.. depends on how they drive! and the force..... round my way they couldnt give 2 monkeys about tinted windows in Norfolk, but go into Cambs then you have to hide of the VOSA will have you picking them off at the side of the road!

you could use the Van panels and just weld them in... at least then if some twat wants in then they will have to go thru the front to find out whats in the back.

sickrabbit
14-09-05, 03:24 PM
Sorry mate , I should have been more descriptive - there may be also more attention paid to your motor by thievin scum , who may decide youre hiding nice ice.......and pay your motor an unwelcomed visit with a brick... :evil:

NovalutionGSi
14-09-05, 03:33 PM
and even the toughest paint couldnt save that! :o

Dod
14-09-05, 08:50 PM
Painting your windows is ok, but kinda Pointless?

If you're turning your car into a Van you need non shatterable and non transparent panels and to remove all rear seating, seat belts and ancillaries. Then you need an engineers report to state the work has been carried out to a specific standard.

If you're just tinting the car, go for as dark on the rear windows and rear sides as you want, Even the drivers and passengers windows are ok but the front needs to be clear or only with a very very very light tint.

The only window that matters is the front screen, the sides will differ from cop to cop. Best bet is to clear it with a MOT mechanic first. If its ok with them, the cops cant say a thing.

Nick
14-09-05, 08:58 PM
im sure there is a limit on the front side windows.

A friend of mine has a jeep grand cherokee, and from the factory the windows are tinted all to the max possible that the law allows.

the rear and rear sides are very black (limo black) but the front sides are definetly alot lighter, and the front screen is very light

tbh it kinda looks a mess/shit

Dod
14-09-05, 10:01 PM
The front sides are only done lightly so you can see the mirrors. If you really want them that way, they can be far darker..

Stuart
14-09-05, 10:01 PM
from the B pillar forwards you can only have a 10% tint (or something like that) unless it came from the factory darker....

Dod
14-09-05, 10:15 PM
Unless the law is different over there, i dont think so. Any MOT Meshanics about?

Jack
15-09-05, 01:24 AM
Direct from VOSA:
http://www.vosa.gov.uk/vosa/publications/tinted%20windows%20information.pdf

Motor Vehicles first used before 1 April 1985:
The windscreen and front side windows must allow at least 70% of light to be transmitted through them.

Motor Vehicles first used on or after 1 April 1985:
The light transmitted through the windscreen must be at least 75%. The front side windows must allow at least 30% of light to be transmitted through them.

HOWEVER that leaflet also states that window tints are NOT part of the MOT test - so your car can still pass an MOT with heavily tinted windows. Its also against the law for a company to fit, or offer to fit, tints to a vehicle that would make it illegal.

NovalutionGSi
15-09-05, 08:42 AM
but then you also need to take into account that 99% of cars already have a light smoke on windows already nowadays.

think the Kia's are too dark standard! :o

Malc
15-09-05, 02:01 PM
THE NEW LAW STATES YOU CAN,T HAVE TINTS ON YOUR DRIVERS /PASENGER FRONT WINDOWS. AS FOR PAINTING THE REAR IT IS ALLOWED IF YOU HAVE DOOR MIRRORS , YOU DONT NEED ANY REPORTS TO DO THIS OR FOR REMOVING YOUR REAR SEATS ECT.

Jack
15-09-05, 02:17 PM
:roll:

Direct from VOSA:
http://www.vosa.gov.uk/vosa/publications/tinted%20windows%20information.pdf

Motor Vehicles first used before 1 April 1985:
The windscreen and front side windows must allow at least 70% of light to be transmitted through them.

Motor Vehicles first used on or after 1 April 1985:
The light transmitted through the windscreen must be at least 75%. The front side windows must allow at least 30% of light to be transmitted through them.

HOWEVER that leaflet also states that window tints are NOT part of the MOT test - so your car can still pass an MOT with heavily tinted windows. Its also against the law for a company to fit, or offer to fit, tints to a vehicle that would make it illegal.