PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust Rattle

wardyworld
13-09-05, 05:04 PM
Hi,

Got a magnex exhaust on the car - when the handbrake is On it rattles like f**k against the body - its so annoying.

Took it to a place that does stainless exhausts - they refit it, but it still does it.

It only seems to do it when the handbrake is on?

any ideas how I stop this?

(I WILL make the nova stop rattling!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

cheers,

wardyworld.

swainer69
27-09-05, 02:02 PM
Dont use the handbrake! :D

NovalutionGSi
27-09-05, 02:07 PM
sounds like your centre mount has gone....althou you say they refitted it?

you sure you have all the correct parts for your model of nova? used to have a Stainless Magnex system from a SR on my GSi.....never was quite right and rattled as well! :roll:

Adam
27-09-05, 03:39 PM
How can the handbrake cause the exhaust to rattle on the car body?

Have a look underneath when its rattling and see wheres its touching.

NovalutionGSi
27-09-05, 03:45 PM
You'll be supprized mate....if the centre mount goes and its not lined up correctly or is pulled into position by the 2 mounts it soon moves a few inches in the wrong direction.

Aragorn
27-09-05, 03:48 PM
its probably bad routing of the handbrake cable

i fitted a later 92> handbrake cable to my nova becuase it goes the opposite way round to the older style one and that means the plastic covered part doesnt cross over the exhaust tunnel and is therefor less likely to rattle

wardyworld
27-09-05, 05:53 PM
its probably bad routing of the handbrake cable

i fitted a later 92> handbrake cable to my nova becuase it goes the opposite way round to the older style one and that means the plastic covered part doesnt cross over the exhaust tunnel and is therefor less likely to rattle

hi mate,

all sorted now - your right, it was sitting on handbrake cable - i've had the cables tightened and the rear brakes sorted - its fine now thank god :lol:

cheers,

Adam.

Adam
27-09-05, 06:10 PM
You'll be supprized mate....if the centre mount goes and its not lined up correctly or is pulled into position by the 2 mounts it soon moves a few inches in the wrong direction.
Yep, my centre box taps on the transmissions tunnel.
Damn sportex exhaust :roll:

I didn't realise pre 92 novas had a different hanbrake cable layout, which is why i asked how it was causing the exhaust to rattle.

Anyways, glad its sorted :)

Aragorn
28-09-05, 12:21 AM
on the earlier models the main cable runs down the left hand side of the exhaust tunnel the crosses over the exhaustat the rear beam to attach to the regulator thingy then continues onto the osr wheel and the nsr wheel is connected to the regulator

on the later models the main cable runs down the left hand side of the tunnel then goes into the regulator then into the NSR wheel, and the adjustable cable goes over to the OSR

that means the only cable anywhere near the exhuast is the thin single wire running parallel with the beam as opposed to the large black plastic coated main cable crossing over the tunnel which gets in the way in the earlier designs