PDA

View Full Version : can i run spark but no fuel on standard ecu?

benji
12-09-05, 02:31 PM
i am going to be fitting a megasquirt ecu on a standard x16xe engine and i have been told that i should get it running with either fuel or ignition first, then do the other. what i want to know is will the standard ecu run the ignition side if the injectors are not getting any fuel to them.

cheers

ben.

Stuart
12-09-05, 03:07 PM
im 99% sure dan was running GTE ign on his with carbs before he converted to the 1.4 ign setup

benji
12-09-05, 07:44 PM
did he leave the injectors plugged in?

Dan
12-09-05, 08:17 PM
as stu stated back i the beginning i still ran the gte ecu and dizzy. the injector wires were just cut and stopped off as no need with the carbs. The only problem with this the lack of power top end. i lost 20bhp on velos rollers due to it hence i rushed and got a 1.4sr setup to allow manual adjustment.

benji
12-09-05, 08:29 PM
i wouldn't be using this set-up for any lenght of time, all i want it for is so i could run the engine to get the fuel side of the ecu up and running, then swap the ignition over aswell once the fueling is ok

m.d.
12-09-05, 09:05 PM
yeah you can mate, ive done this dozens of times on different cars, converting them to carbs from injection on a tight ass budget,

when i ran my 2.0 8v it was faster this way, i fitted the carb dizzy set up and it lost power

Aragorn
13-09-05, 11:47 AM
your main goal will simply to be to stop the ecu going into limp mode, and that means all the sensors it wants to be present must be present, for example the throttle position switch may pose a problem as will the original idle control system, you'll also need to retain the vauxhall crank sensor which will be problematic if you want to run a different kind of crank sensor for the megasquirt (most of the time they use ford EDIS)

ive looked at it but just dont think its viable tbh, the mapping costs will be the same with any programmable ecu (perhaps higher with squirt as no-one will have used it before meaning more time on the rollers)

ok your getting the ecu for about ?200ish, but by the time uve got a custom crank pulley and sensor, all the edis bits and anything else required for the swap its not gonna be that much more expensive to buy an off the shelf MBE or emerald system, and as long as u make the loom yourself you'll prolly only be spending another ?200-250 on a proper system

benji
13-09-05, 06:43 PM
the ecu i am getting is $189 then it's another $40 for the tester. fuel mapping is not too much of a problem to get a decent result, the ignition i will need help with. the crank sensor and coil packs i'm pretty sure the vauxhall stuff can be used, it mighjt need a bit of the programe code tweeking to understand the vauxhall stuff , this is not the sort of thing i could do, but ican get help for that.

i belive that i can get it all running for less than ?200

Chris
13-09-05, 07:22 PM
I thought megasquirt supplyed a base map i.e just basic enough to get you up and running via email, would that not control the ignition too?

Chris

benji
13-09-05, 07:48 PM
nope, all they provide is a way of calculating a base map.