PDA

View Full Version : Choosiing a new car.

Dar
09-09-05, 02:56 PM
*NOTE: Im not getting rid of the Nova :mrgreen:

Right im thinking about getting a new car. Im quite specific in what I want though. It must be FWD have a 6 speed box and 200bhp or over. It also has to look nice 8)

Current runners are :-

Honda: Civic Type-R
Seat: Leon Cupra-R
Renault: Megane Renaultsport 225

Anyone have any other sensible suggestions?

Everyone I have talked to has basicaly slated the CTR I can only assume that its the low torque figures, but it rev's to 9,000rpm :mrgreen: I love high revving engines!!

However the Megane seems to have all the right stuff and the general feeling is that they are a very nice car.

The Cupra-R has got the same sort of reaction as the Megane.

So what do you lot reckon?

Philsutton
09-09-05, 03:06 PM
i'd go for the civic, the other two just sound to girly for me. But if it was me i wouldnt be going for anything new anyway.

Georgelus
09-09-05, 03:08 PM
I'm not up-to-scratch on my car knowledge, but I like the Civic's appearance.

The megan is just... horrible

benji
09-09-05, 03:41 PM
i'd go for the cupra r. 200+ BHP and upto 300 pretty easily. all the toys/comforts you will ever need and they are plently quick enough on the road (i say that because having 200bhp don't mean much now days)

Dar
09-09-05, 03:45 PM
How about the main dealers?
Anyone had much experiance of each of these?
Honda, Renault& Seat

Jim
09-09-05, 03:57 PM
I love the Civic Type R's, The Cupra R is an awesome car and the Megane is growing on me:

http://i.podrobnosti.ua/upload/news/2005/03/02/184644_3.jpg

Hmm, touch choice, but do they all come with 200bhp or over? Isn't the CTR 197BHP? ;) :P

Tough Choice Dar, I'd go for the Civic...no, the Cupra, wait, no the Megane, no Cupra, but I want the Civic, Arhghghghghghhg...

...What about the Astra VXR? Does it have a 6 speed box though?

Jim

Philsutton
09-09-05, 04:00 PM
Jim raises a good point, forgot about that bad boy. Lost of power to start with, although i reckon a different diff might be order with it though.

srs1
09-09-05, 04:55 PM
i would either go with the astra if you could or the leon.

evry one has a civic now and the cupra is so understated for its power, plus i would imagine you'd have change for a crate of coke too.

Dar
09-09-05, 05:18 PM
imagine you'd have change for a crate of coke too
lol.....Good point though ;)

Tough Choice Dar, I'd go for the Civic...no, the Cupra, wait, no the Megane, no Cupra, but I want the Civic, Arhghghghghghhg...

Yup Jim is a ruddy difficult choice hence why I have posted. The origonal idea was the CTR and its the 9,000rpm rev limit that makes me want one :twisted: But one minute im thinking CTR the next its, ohh that Megane rates well in the reviews and then, but everyone seems to be going for the Cupra-R.

Gurrr - Mind you just ?3500 and I could have a supercharger on that CTR to give 300+bhp. The things I don't like about the Megane and Cupra is that they are turbocharged. I've never been a fan of turbocharged cars. But that is a very small niggle. Iddy biddy in fact.

It took me a year to finally pick the GTI-6 so I guess im going to go through this for a while :oops:

Nath
09-09-05, 05:50 PM
the megane is a top car m8. drove one the other month or so ago on a renault open day down in stratford. had some fun on an empty car park with the traction control off :lol:

im a big fan of the civic though, not only are they quick little cars but imho the look the dogs bollocks.

tough choice but i think i would go for the civic just because renault cars are renowned for expensive parts etc

Stuart
09-09-05, 05:58 PM
fooking picky mofo lol

can you wait till jan? focus ST out then ;) and it "should" be priced inline with the Astra VXR as ford cant justify pricing it up at the Golf level....

whats your budget? its all well and good saying "i want this, this and this" if you cant afford it lol

tbh id avoid the CTR as its just a small ratty boy racer car lol. Also you have your high revver for the track etc so why not jsut get a low grunt power car for the road as thats what you really need in all fairness..... when nipping from a junction you dont want to have to wait till 5K to get power from a V-Tec lump when most current turbos kick in at about 1800-2K...

otherwise, if your after a car tahts more or less the same as your nova on the road, just build another nova like that lol

sickrabbit
09-09-05, 06:15 PM
Whatever you decide to spend your money on there is one very important factor you must consider in you final choice - parts cost . Anything French is mega expensive - my father has owned 3 Meganes ( very nice indeed ) but the cost of replacement bits and bobs just wasnt worth it . And this also includes annual servicing .

peester
09-09-05, 06:31 PM
seein as ur goin for new or nearly new cars - get test drivin; its not often one gets the chance to legitimately, with intent to buy, test drive such wonderful cars.. i wudn't guess, try em, try em all. Each one is special. On paper though, abiet with a waitin list, bein a vaux id'e vxr. Megane mings looks wise, civics are too old hat, cupra wud be second choice.

benji
09-09-05, 07:48 PM
what about a new golf gti? or are you going to be buying used? or a mini cooper s works, with the extras pack that includes a diff. a mini like that was tested by track and race car magazine and it was loads quicker than the cupra r, golf gti, clio 182 cup and the civic type r. and they sound ace, depreciation is not as bad as the others aswell.

Stuart
09-09-05, 08:27 PM
but a bloke getting out of a mini would just scream "i take it up the ass" lol

Ben
09-09-05, 08:36 PM
Leon 110% all day long.

Paul
10-09-05, 12:07 AM
I'd look at either:

Astra VXR, or The new Vectr VXR, the vectra vxr would kill all of them as would the astra.

Vectra 2.8 V6 Turbo 236lb/ft of torque and 255bhp.
Astra Dont know torque of top of my head but its a turbo'd 2.0 16v 240bhp.

ANDYRACER
10-09-05, 12:35 AM
Well if the civic is like the old civic vtis then i wouldnt have one the power is why to high up in the revs, no low down power at all.
The renault has really grown on me, but wouldnt touch one just coz the price of parts.
The leon looks a really nice car as does the golf gti.
Oh and the Astra just looks insane id have one anyday!! :twisted:

boredbloke
10-09-05, 12:42 AM
CTR any day,

a friend has one and it is dam quick! 0-60 in 6.2 iirc

dead comfy for the car it is too, plus turboing the vtec engine would give it an absolutely massive kick in the right direction, looking at 300+ bhp for a lot less money than buying a car with that kind of power. plus honda is dead realiable.

other than that the cupra's pretty sweet, although i don't know much about it.

and don't get a renault.

Marc
10-09-05, 11:42 AM
when nipping from a junction you dont want to have to wait till 5K to get power from a V-Tec lump when most current turbos kick in at about 1800-2K...

To be honest stu thats easily solved you pay a bit of cash and get a v-tec control and lower the vtec down to 3000revs then you get power quicker!

I personnlly like the civics always have from the eg to ep and hoping of gettin a LSI EG when ive saved up just something small but nippy with lots of mods for them! also the new civic if anyone has seen them are fucking ugly!

The CTR would be better with a supercharger because you wont loose the v-tec as much like with a turbo. A turbo will drown out the v-tec and take the fun out the car in my opinion and with a supercharger you get power from the begining and it builds up so you will have less problem with v-tec!
also v-tec sounds amazing when you hit it proper nice sounds and with a decent exhaust system will sounds mint! I doubt you would regret getting 1 mate

this is an easy topic for me cause 6 out of the 8 mates i hang around with have a honda of some sort civic, prelude or crx so we talk about this stuff a lot, but then there is me still with me nova lol :D

The End

Stuart
10-09-05, 11:54 AM
you shouldnt have to modify a "fast" modern car to make up for the fact its not got power in a certain region.......

plus you'd lose your warranty

Marc
10-09-05, 01:39 PM
you shouldnt have to modify a "fast" modern car to make up for the fact its not got power in a certain region.......

plus you'd lose your warranty
yes you may loose the warrenty but dar was talking about supercharging it so your gonna loose the warrenty anyway and he might by a secendhand one and might not get a warrenty with it so its all swings and around abouts with it

but was just giving my opinion about the whole subject with CTR having less power before v-tec

Dar
10-09-05, 09:21 PM
Im still wanting a CTR more than the others. Im not out for the FASTEST one I have the Nova for going fast.

Since its going to be my daily drive I looking at reliability & fun. I've heard that the Megane has some reliability issues and I prefer the styling of the CTR to the Cupra-R.

I will keep mulling this one over but in my heart of hearts I know the CTR will be the one I choose. Seen the exact one I want today at Combe and in my view its the best looking out of the three, its the most reliable and it rev's to 9,000rpm. I LOVE high revving engines!

Anyhoo - thanks for all the comments and opions. It is much apprciated :mrgreen:

Dod
10-09-05, 10:09 PM
Go old School and get a Sunny GTI-R or the Almera Equivalant. Mental cars and one of few Japs i actually approve of. Thats saying a lot mate. :wink:

Jack
10-09-05, 10:32 PM
Whats up with the '6?

I'm kicking myself for saying this but I think out of the three I'd choose the CTR, although to be fair thats the one I've seen most of in action. Can't say I'm particularly fond of its styling, best get ye a few loaves of Hovis to sit in the back of the breadvan lol

However, I'd hold fire and see what yo uthink of the Astra VXR

Dar
11-09-05, 10:37 AM
Nothings wrong with the 6 I just jinda fancy a change. Plus the 6 is getting old now and its a bastid to work on. Im also sure the clutch will need replacing sooner rather than later as well.

I've read about the VXR and I do like the fact that they have left the torque steer in the handling caracteristics. So I may have to add that one to the list as well.

Ian
11-09-05, 12:45 PM
everyone slates the steering on ctr too, no response, basically shite

the new vxr has optional sports exhaust which is giving 265bhp from just that

Stuart
11-09-05, 12:58 PM
Vxl have messed the pricing up, its pisisng ford/vw/seat etc off as it now means that the prices either have to drop of the features have to increase lol.

So vx might have done something good for a change ;)
the Focus ST should be at a similar price to the VXR astra when its released. I think i can get one for about 25% less but tbh i dont want to buy a new car

Matt2107
11-09-05, 04:06 PM
Cupra R in my opinion.

scott.parker
11-09-05, 04:11 PM
Dar you though about the Golf or Audi with the same engine in as the Cupra R??

They are both very nice cars.

Scott

Adam Moran
11-09-05, 04:27 PM
Golf R32 or Seat Cupra

Really dont like the CTR.... too many around i there very plasticy inside...

Go German if you can :wink:

Nova Full
13-09-05, 05:04 PM
What about an Alfa Romeo 147 or 156 GTA?

peester
13-09-05, 07:58 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/peester/canof.jpg

jedi
13-09-05, 08:58 PM
focus st when it comes out

J4MES
13-09-05, 11:02 PM
that new alfa coupe, beautiful.....

or leon cupra...

DaveMarshall
13-09-05, 11:12 PM
Astra VXR definitely, i'd sell my missus to get one.

jamie gsi16v
13-09-05, 11:38 PM
MINI COOPER S WORKS with sports package like benji said, a mates got one and it leaves civic type r's for dead off the mark, on the straight and round bends!

or be daring and go rwd and buy my mates black honda s2000 thats in auto trader this week, 18s, invidia twin exhauts, filter, hardtop, immaculate throughout, 14k?

rs focus?

scott.parker
14-09-05, 02:10 AM
Astra VXR definitely, i'd sell my missus to get one.

LMAO may as well i buy everything els of you :lol:

DaveMarshall
14-09-05, 10:53 AM
When do you want to collect her Scott?

NovalutionGSi
14-09-05, 12:42 PM
:o Bless her! :lol: :lol: :twisted:

personally it'd be down to the VXR and the Cupra R. but i'l put another Cupra R to you...what about the Ibzia... think its running the same engine as the Leon but is more lightweight than its bigger brother!

andyhayes77
14-09-05, 04:12 PM
*NOTE: Im not getting rid of the Nova :mrgreen:

Right im thinking about getting a new car. Im quite specific in what I want though. It must be FWD have a 6 speed box and 200bhp or over. It also has to look nice 8)

Current runners are :-

Honda: Civic Type-R
Seat: Leon Cupra-R
Renault: Megane Renaultsport 225

Anyone have any other sensible suggestions?

Everyone I have talked to has basicaly slated the CTR I can only assume that its the low torque figures, but it rev's to 9,000rpm :mrgreen: I love high revving engines!!

However the Megane seems to have all the right stuff and the general feeling is that they are a very nice car.

The Cupra-R has got the same sort of reaction as the Megane.

So what do you lot reckon?

Dont go 4 the megane my neighbours got 1 so as a guy at work they dont know each otha but av both said its computer managements like windows looks good performs good but has well too many F#@k ups

Dar
14-09-05, 04:21 PM
andyhayes77 - I've heard the same thing a few times now. So that ones off the list :)