PDA

View Full Version : Stupid mistake needs to be solved...

riverbum
08-09-05, 02:48 PM
Hi,
I've got a UK H reg 1.2 Merit with me here in Sweden and did a pretty stupid mistake.

The battery is not much cop and ocassionally needs to be taken out and charged up but I couldn't undo the terminals to take it out as they were seized up so I connected the charger in situe instead.

What I think happened is that this must have melted some of the insulation so that a couple of days later the electrics shorted out with loads of smoke and melted plastic.

The car will still jump-start but not with the ignition anymore. The wires melted together where the positive battery cable leads straight from the battery to a device (is that the solenoid?) on the back left (looking from the front) of the engine block. Where a bunch of cables were held together with a cable tie they melted together. I have now separated them and reinsulated them with tape.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a trouble shooting list to see what if anything has been damaged and how I can get it working again. I guess the battery is probably buggered now?

Cheers,
Ben

Austin_Nova16
08-09-05, 02:55 PM
New battary time I think!

Seems like you've buggered a few cells.