PDA

View Full Version : help ! nova t40's who's got a answer to my prob

novasr40's
31-08-05, 08:26 PM
Finally today i got my car on the rolling road bein lynx ae at northants. i got it on the rollers the carbs were set to idle properly balanced up and the jets changed to suit because it was runnin lean we then prevailed......
we did the power run and the figures turned out as follows(bhp at the flywheel) :
3500rpm =57.1
4000rpm=73.6
4500rpm=83.7
5000rpm=87.5
5500rpm=88.8
6000rpm=85.0

temp = 28degrees humidity= 60% barometric press =1019 mbar

When he handed it me i was quite shocked i spose, but maybe it was my fault for expecting too much !!
I do know that this is a close friend and it is the most accurate rollers in my area because others (no names) seriously bullshit and we all know that! but still i wanted 3 figures out of her but the whether again was at its worst possible THE HOTTEST DAY and look at the humidity 60 % !!!
the spec of me car is as follows.

Nova 1.4 sr standard bottom end.
ported & polished head
kent ast 02 cam does it ring any bells?
twin webber 40's set up wit piperx socks.
4-1 exhaust manifold wit system.

upon chattin for a while we came to the conc that the cam had been previously thrashed and definately had some sort of wear at least.
the leads were 10 yrs old, old dizzy and dizzy arm, and the plugs wernt up to much.
so i have just wacked on sum splitfire twin core leads, bpr6et ngk triple spark plugs and a new dizzy arm. This should help slitely but havent been back to the rollers yet. bearin in mind a standard nova sport is 93 bhp i was i bit saddend !!!!!
Is the cam a big factor here ?
am i right to be dissapointed wit the bhp?
Any other comments at all bout n e of this hit me bak !!

thankx 4 listenin to me moan
Andrew

S_Gault
31-08-05, 11:17 PM
when i run a car on the rolling road i take a base run as you did, then i swing ignition timing and cam timing.

Im sure you could certainly find a few more hp- but the rollers i use are spot on here (everyone gerns that they read lo..they read right)- and i would expect to see 95-100bhp on that spec if it was one of my heads.

Id need to see engine thou to make anymore suggestions.

but id def look at the cam timing as it makes a big difference on novas- and remember to set the ignition timing again after doing cam as one will move the other.

Steven (SG performance)

Stuart
31-08-05, 11:30 PM
heat wont help..

and if the cam is fcuked then dont expect too much from it

also what head is it thats been ported etc? is it the 1.4 sr one or an MPI head or 1.2/1.3 carb head.....

oh yeah and the socks arent the best option for filters as they are rather restrictive.

S_Gault
01-09-05, 12:27 AM
i have back to back dyno tested sock filters and found no loss till 160hp on them.

as long as they are not fitted with the end strangling the trumpet

Steven

SKoob
01-09-05, 11:17 AM
i have back to back dyno tested sock filters and found no loss till 160hp on them.

as long as they are not fitted with the end strangling the trumpet

Steven
What would be classified as a strangling trumpet? Do you mean one thats too long or too short?

Aragorn
01-09-05, 03:38 PM
too short

there should be a gap between the end of the trumpet and the flat of the sock, the flat of the sock should not be hard against the trumpet end

SKoob
01-09-05, 03:40 PM
Ok as I am gonna be getting some bling blue annodised trumpets and was unsure on which length to choose from :lol:

novasr40's
02-09-05, 12:38 PM
yeh the head is a 1.4 carb head which is worked.
we hav run an amazin 1.3 head on an engine before which was rapid(sort of stock rod short oval spec) but it kept blowin the head gasket !
i still have the head but am a bit tentative to replace it.

Cam timing tell me more what would you set it at for a kent ast2?

benji
03-09-05, 08:22 PM
get a uprated head gasket, and have the head checked that it's flat

Stuart
03-09-05, 08:49 PM
also verify that the block is flat too......