PDA

View Full Version : Buggerin Buggery

coxie
30-08-05, 01:05 PM
ello :D

had a few small problems this weekend ..

decided first of all the mk1 wasnt doin it for me so changed the car bak to the mk2 look .. goin for a abyss front bumper (basically a smooth gsi ) all in black on a red car .. 8)

now while doin this a mate of mine tried the car out n noticed the brakes were a lot lighter than they should be (having owned a nova before he knew they werent right)

now its got 16v brakes on and should be a hell of a lot better than they were ..

so we got the car up rims off brakes off .. n sure enough virtually siezed were a right sod to strip down clean up and put back together .. all lookin great nice clean pistons etc .. all went well ..

till we got em both eon plumed in and ready jus bleedin left to do .. do the O/S .. perfect there ..

get to the N/S .. sand snap .. off comes bleed nipple .. well bo***cks ..

new calliper sourced on a bank hols, refurbed agen n replaced .. re bleed sweet ..

only brakes are no better .. shit re bleed may have air lock .. .. bit better lot better than before but still real weak ..

reet wat to do ..

now i no my rear brakes have been mullered and handbrake hardly works etc .. ( i did attempt to open up rear brakes so they get to the hubs etc but the lil adjuster bar is solid n wont adjus :cry: ) so were now pressumin of of 2 things ..

* rear brakes missing like mad stoppin enough pressure bein administered so fronts are a lil slack as fluids not pressurin till foots quite far down makin rear brakes finally reach

unsure ?

or

* master cylinder / servo isnt quite doin its job no more ..

personally the workings of brakes on a nova wen converted etc isnt somethin ive had a lot of experience with .. so any helps great :) ..

also . 17's on a nova .. my arches were cut wen i bought it .. deffo need replacin .. once done if the lis jus rolled back and sealed .. will there still be sufficent room for 17's without cuttin Sh*t out of the new arch ?

et49 offset etc perfect for nova 8)

Spudly
30-08-05, 08:00 PM
Depends wot model yours is to start with mate cos i heard wen u change the calipers an discs to 16v ones on base models the servo aint big enough so u gotta use the one from a GSi or GTE otherwise they will feel spongy and have quite alot of travel on the pedal!!!!!!!

Lee
30-08-05, 10:27 PM
have you tried a fluid change?

Riggy
30-08-05, 10:50 PM
the servo doesnt make your brakes any stronger , fitting a gte one just means that you dont have to push the pedal as hard to make them work

as said it could be that you have boiled your fluid in the past and now it needs changing

coxie
31-08-05, 09:29 AM
not done a full fluid change .. have blead the front quite a lot basically flushing out most of wat was inthere to beine with ..

the peddle does go about 1/2 way down n require a good push to work .. i can slam it on but really hae to give it some at times ..

would upgrading the servo etc be the best option to be on the safe side ?

mikey14sr
31-08-05, 07:55 PM
might be worth trying a larger master cylinder, From a 2L astra or cav? But I'd definately have the rear brakes apart and adjusted so they're spot on first.

coxie
01-09-05, 11:02 AM
ahh .. never thought of that .. thinkin .. would a astra 2 litre Servo etc fit onto the nova .. ? as im pressumin this would be stronger than a nova one ...........

Aragorn
01-09-05, 03:36 PM
sounds like your mates are simply used to a larger GTE servo

u said they work fine if u press really hard so that would imply that the servo is either knackerd or not as strong as they are expecting it to be

start by fitting GTE servo and if its still not right look at changing the master cylinder

the reason youve got a long pedal is the rear adjustment

to prove this pull the handbrake on and press the pedal a few times, you'll notice a lot less travel

coxie
01-09-05, 03:59 PM
good thought .. ill try that wen i get home ..

rear brakes are being replaced and adjusted soon so hopefully that will cure the prob ..

cheers peeps ..