PDA

View Full Version : coilovers

Aragorn
26-08-05, 12:04 AM
my brother currently has an RSX kit on his nova and is quite unhappy with the way it handles - its far too hard

i think its caused by the damping rate on the front dampers being far too high

what i wondered is if it would be possible to purchase the strut alone from another coilover manufacturer, ie FK or Gaz perhaps and run the spax springs in them for now, then if we decide the spring rate is too high we can swap the spax springs out for lower rating springs??

and leave the rear alone as i think its the front thats causing the majority of the problems

point is we cant really afford the ??? of a complete new coilover kit, but buyng the two front struts alone might work out reasonably cheap in comparison?

Stuart
26-08-05, 09:06 AM
gaz deffo sell them seperate

Lee H
26-08-05, 12:30 PM
Two front struts from Gaz cost me about ?300 delivered so definitely cheaper than a full kit.

Aragorn
26-08-05, 06:43 PM
yer but the full gaz kit is only 385 from raldes

Lee H
30-08-05, 08:33 AM
yer but the full gaz kit is only 385 from raldes

I had the front shocks custom made 1" shorter than the Avo's I had as the Avo's used to bottom out all the time because the car was so low so thats why mine were probably a bit dearer.

byd1380
01-09-05, 10:09 AM
What is the spring rate on the springs, adjust the shocks off and see what it's like. I got a set on koni front struts and cut the platform off them, then fitted a coilover sleeve kit to give me the adjustable height. The car is built for autotesting so I lowered the car as much as possible, I them ran into the problem of the car sitting on the bumpstops on the shocks, so cut them off and got a set of MGB ones, fitted these to the wisbone?bottom arm, also cut the supension turrets and added in an inch of steel, now the car sits extremely low but still has suspension travel. I had to pull the wings out to clear the wheels - I run 13" with a 60 profile tyre!!!

Cheers

Ivan