PDA

View Full Version : Coilovers - urgent - fitment friday!

wardyworld
25-08-05, 12:57 PM
Hi,

bought a set of Spax RSX 543 coilovers off ebay - new.

The fronts look slightly different - they both have SPAX 543 on them, but the bump stops are different - one is yellow hard plastic, the other is softer, light peach colour, and is bigger, looks like it will compress under weight to be the same size as the other one though.

Also the labels are different designs - still says SPAX RSX but slightly different badging - they are the same when put side by side though.

I think they are basicailly the right kit, but not from the same batch - will this make any difference when on the car?

Cheers guys - urgent - im driving up to just novas on Friday morning to have them fitted! Dont want a 100 miles wasted trip!

wardyworld.

Stuart
25-08-05, 12:59 PM
how much are you being charged to have them fitted?

fit them yourself its only 5nuts/bolts....

wardyworld
25-08-05, 01:15 PM
how much are you being charged to have them fitted?

fit them yourself its only 5nuts/bolts....

mate - me and spanners dont mix - lol. Plus I trust Just Novas. Good people always sorted me OK out.

Just found out that one is 2 years old (new) and gas filled other is new under 2 years old and oil filled!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Not happy - trying to get a refund at the moment.

GRRRRRRRRRRRR!

Cheers,

wardyworld.

jamie gsi16v
25-08-05, 04:48 PM
ha ha i nearly bought these and asked a few questions before hand, they were on a buy it now of 249.99? how much are just novas charging you?

wardyworld
25-08-05, 06:02 PM
ha ha i nearly bought these and asked a few questions before hand, they were on a buy it now of 249.99? how much are just novas charging you?

Yeah - same ones - he's got loads of sets - gonna warn peeps on here so they dont get stung like me.

What you ask him to find out they were dud?

Ah well - Spax are gonna redo the wrong one for me for ?85.00 quid - so its OK really - just dont buy stuff off him.

Reckon i've got grounds to have his account closed on ebay? As im sure this s**t is not right - dangerous even? Surely ebay wont allow that if its brought to their attention?

Asked for a refund - his emails stopped, hmmmmmmmmmmm.

Any tips on how to fight for my cash back?

cheers,

wardyworld.

Adam
25-08-05, 11:45 PM
I think baxter bought a set, AFAIK his are fine.

Aragorn
25-08-05, 11:55 PM
if hes got loads of missmatching sets why doesnt he simply put the gas ones together and the oil filled ones together as the struts are not "handed"

wardyworld
26-08-05, 12:27 AM
if hes got loads of missmatching sets why doesnt he simply put the gas ones together and the oil filled ones together as the struts are not "handed"

I dont know mate, but I phoned Spax themselves, described the shocks and they said that they were different - labelling etc is different, i know underneath yes they are the 543 RSX kit, but the rears and 1 front says "krypton gas" whilst the other does not.

Spax said - different - cant argue with the manufacturers.

Anyway - he's supposed to be meeting me tomorrow to swap the strut - so i'll post once I know.

All this malarky just for a set of shocks!

:o

cheers,

wardyworld.

wardyworld
26-08-05, 12:34 AM

Fair enough - glad Baxters are OK.

Here is a pic of the fronts together - the only thing that i've done is unwrap them from their original packaging - nothing else.

One has the krypton gas logo on, the other the spax "england" logo - different bump stops, different badging - slightly different build to the struts - only visible when you look close - def. not a matching set.

One strut is hard - the other you can push the strut in - and it slides back out - the other wont move at all!

http://img80.imageshack.us/img80/3203/spaxrsxsmall2rm.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

What you guys think? Am I talking out my ar*e?

cheers,

wardyworld.

Adam
26-08-05, 12:38 AM

One strut is hard - the other you can push the strut in - and it slides back out - the other wont move at all!

Gas dampers will usually extend themselves, oil wont.
SO as you say, its sounds like one damper is gas, and the other is oil.

burgo
26-08-05, 01:06 AM
if he has loads then it is understandable that he may have got them mixed up as he probably didnt realise they were different

wardyworld
26-08-05, 08:38 AM
if he has loads then it is understandable that he may have got them mixed up as he probably didnt realise they were different

Which is cool - if he comes through and swaps them over for me, then no issue!

Just a big ball ache for something that should be so simple.

Ah well - cheers for the responses - at least I know its not just me talking crap.

cheers,

wardyworld.

wardyworld
26-08-05, 01:13 PM
Just to say met the bloke - swapped the fronts - have 2 gas fronts now - with the rubbery type bump stops as in the picture, 2nd one down.

All good!

Just gotta get them fitted now! lol