PDA

View Full Version : iPod?

ade
24-08-05, 09:31 PM
thinking about getting an iPod but want more info on it before I shell out the wonga...

I have tons of cd's and although I'll prob download a few tracks from various sites I'm more interested about uploading me existing cd's to it.

Can you do this?

If so is it straight forward or do you have to convert to mp3 or whatever...

And is the iPod the best thing for this? TBH I just want something I can take on me holibags that doesnt need me taking 1/2 a ton of cd's with me and me old portable cd player. Last trime I did this sand got in the case and scratched 2 cd's to buggery!

:evil:

I'm forever lost without Europes final countdown and the best of ABBA!

:lol:

help?!?

novaco
24-08-05, 09:40 PM
im not 100% on this as i dont own one but most of my mates do but you can definatly put your existing cd collection onto one. iirc all you do is download itunes off the apple website, you put your CD (ABBA Gold) into your pc and then itunes does the rest. it compresses all your songs from a wave file into a mp3.

They are also very easy to use and imo the best mp3 player on the market. Out of all the ipods though most people buy the ipod mini but to be honest you if you are going to buy one you might aswel spend a little bit more money and buy a normal ipod (cant remember the name if it even has one) so that you can hold more songs. Most of my mates bought ipod mini's but are now selling them on to buy the bigger ones as they have ran out of memory and cant fit all of there songs on.

The only problem i have ever known about them is that after a while of using them the battery must be changed but the only way to do this is to send it back to apple and i think it costs in the region of ?25 plus P+P.

Well hope this helps ade!

Karl!

FlatBeatBoy
24-08-05, 09:52 PM
mate has 1...

Just upload the tracks from ur cd to your pc... I think IPOD's can take any form of media file... (.wmp and .wmf) Plus others like .mp3. I dont think you need to convert it just plays them : )

Hope this helps mate.... :)

ade
24-08-05, 09:57 PM
cheers guys. So whats with the battery? This still an issue with the new ones?

And is the ipod the best for this or are there other "cheaper" options available?

Ade

FlatBeatBoy
24-08-05, 10:00 PM
the only downer about IPOD's is that battery thing novaco mentioned.... Thats the only thing i can think of. And it is the best option :P But some other mp3 players are decent like my sony one :P

boredbloke
24-08-05, 10:17 PM
Ade mate I have an ipod mini and for what they are they are worth the money just for the reason of u never need to carry another cd with you, and you can't scratch your favourite disc!!

u simply download itunes, u can do this now for free, off of apple and then insert the CD you want onto the computer itunes will recognise it, and then u can import the tunes in same as media player

if you've got broadband the cd names will appear automatically, if not upload all your tunes highlight them all and theres an option to "get all cd names" click on it next time your on the net and bobs ur uncle!

They are really really simple to use.

As i say try the software first uploading them onto the pod is childs play.

and battery wise, they last the same as phone batterys if you keep giving them quick shitty charges eventually it will bugger up, but that'll happen wih any rechargeable bat, it lasts about 8h's continuosand 10x longer if you only listen once every so often.

dooooney
25-08-05, 08:59 AM
get the ipod killer casue ipods just suck not loud enough, drop it it dies, hard drives are crap what you want if ur going for space and great sound and a great looking mp3 player you want an i audio m3

Our Price: ?145.41 (?170.86 incl. VAT)

UK Delivery: 2 - 4 days FREE
Next Working Day Before 6pm - ?6.99 incl. VAT
Next Working Day Before 9am - ?11.99 incl. VAT

http://eng.iaudio.com/product/images/iaudioM3/intro_m3.jpg
fetures
MP3, OGG, WMA, ASF and WAV (Up to 44.1khz mono) Playback, Voice Recording, FM Radio, Listening and Recording, Direct MP3 Encoding, Mobile Disk
Built-in HDD (20GB)
6-Line, 4-Gray Graphic LCD Remote (Indigo Blue Backlight)

USB 2.0 Interface
Long Play Time: Up to 14 hours (Based on company test research) Note: (The playing time may be shortened if backlight is used.)
Multi-Language Support
Enhanced Integrated Navigator
Play/Pause/Stop, Record/Pause during Recording
Next Track/Previous Track, Fast Forward/Fast Rewind
Infinite Loop
Resume. Fade In, Auto Play
Search Speed & Skip Speed Setting
40 levels of digital volume control
Various EQ and sound field effects
- User adjustable 5-band Equalizer
- Normal, Rock, Pop, Jazz, Classic, Vocal, User
- BBE : improves brilliance and clarity of music
- Mach3Bass : Elaborates bass booster to accentuate low-end frequency
- MP Enhance : Recovers and improves the sound from loss of compression
- 3D Surround : Makes the real cubic sound
Hold
Backlight ON Time Control, Scroll Speed Control, Selection of Scroll Direction, Power-Save Auto Stop, Sleep Timer
Firmware & Logo Download
ID3V2, ID3V1, Filename Support
Product Info Display (Firmware version, HDD Total Capacity/Usage, Total Number of Folders. Total Number of files)
MAC Os Support (Only Data Transfer Supported)
Software
- JetShell (File Transfer, MP3/WMA/WAV/Audio CD Playback, MP3 Encoding)
- JetAudio (Integrated multimedia playing software)

Supported File Types MPEG1/2/2.5 Layer 3, WMA, OGG, ASF
WAV (11/22/44Khz,16Bit, MONO/STEREO)
Hard Disk 20GB
PC Interface USB 2.0 (Max. 480M bps)
Battery Rechargeable Lithium-ion
Power Supply AC adapter DC 5.0V, 1.5V~3A
Charging Time About 3 hours (When using AC Power Adapter)
Buttons Remote : PLAY/PAUSE, FF, REW, MENU(NAVI), VOL+, VOL-, MODE, REC
Main Body : PLAY/PAUSE, FF, REW, Mode, VOL+, VOL-, MODE, REC
Switch Hold
Display 128 X 96 dot, 6Line 4Gray LCD with LED backlight (Multilingual Support)
SNR 95 dB
Output Frequency 20Hz ~ 20KHz
Output 16 Ohm earphone : 20mW+20mW
Size Main Body : 103.7mm x 60.8mm x 14.2mm (H X W X T)
Remote : 33.2mm x 58.6mm x 14.4mm (H X W X T, without clip size)
Weight 136g (Including built-in battery)

All other specifications are same as iAUDIO M3 20GB.
Hard Disk 40GB
Size Main Body : 103.7mm x 60.8mm x 18.2mm (H X W X T)
Remote : 33.2mm x 58.6mm x 14.4mm (H X W X T, without clip size)
Weight 150g (Including built-in battery)

All other specifications are same as iAUDIO M3 20GB.
Max. Continuous Playback time About 35 hours. (Based on our company test research)
Charging time About 6 hours.
Size Main Body : 103.7mm x 60.8mm x 18.2mm (H X W X T)
Weight 168g (Including built-in battery)

Pentium 200MHz or Higher
32MB Main Memory or Higher
20MB Hard Disk Space or More
256 or Higher color display
OS
- Microsoft Windows 98/98se/ME/2000/XP (NT는 지원불가)
- MAC OS 10.X (Only data transfer supported)
USB Port
CD-ROM Drive

or you can go for the i audio x5 if you feeling like u want to spend a lil more
Our Price: ?229.74 (?269.94 incl. VAT)
Click here for details
Was: ?234.00 (?274.95 incl. VAT)

UK Delivery: 2 - 4 days FREE
Next Working Day Before 6pm - ?6.99 incl. VAT
Next Working Day Before 9am - ?11.99 incl. VAT

http://eng.iaudio.com/product/images/iAUDIOX5/photo/zoom/x5_11.jpg
MP3, OGG, WMA, ASF, FLAC, WAV, MPEG4* (video) playback, FM Radio Receiver and Recording, Voice Recording, Line-In Recording
TXT (Text), JPEG** (Image) File Viewer (Image Enlargement, Background Screen Designation)
Built-In HDD (20GB/30GB)***, USB Host****, File Copy/Delete
USB 2.0 Interface
260,000 Colors TFT-LCD, Resolution 160x128
Long Playback Time : Up to 14 hours playback (35 hours for iAUDIO X5L)
(Based on company's self-test, The playing time may be shortened according to LCD usages.)
Multi language support
Enhanced Integrated Navigator
Play/Pause, Recording/Pause While Recording
Next Song/Previous Song, Fast Forward/Rewind, Section Repeat
Resume, Fade-In, AutoPlay Features
Search Speed, Skip Speed Setup
Volume (Digital 40 Levels)
Various EQ and Sound Field Effects
- User-Adjustable 5-Band EQ
- Normal, Rock, Pop, Jazz, Classic, Vocal, User
- Supports BBE, Mach3Bass, MP Enhance, and 3D Surround.
Clock, Alarm, Timer Recording, Sleep Function, Power Saving Shut down.
Power, LCD On/Off, Hold Combined Switch
LCD Auto Off Time Adjustment, Brightness, and Contrast Adjustments
Easy Firmware Upgrade
Supports ID3V2, ID3V1, FileName
Device Information Verification(Firmware version, HDD capacity, HDD volume, total folder number, total file number)
Supports MAC OS (Data transfer only)
Supports Linux v 2.2 or higher (Data transfer only)
Software
- JetShell (File transfer, MP3/WMA/WAV/AUDIO CD PLAY, MP3 ENCODING)
- JetAudio (Integrated multimedia player software, music/video conversion feature)

Playback format MPEG1/2/2.5 Layer 3, WMA, OGG, ASF, FLAC,
WAV (11/22/44Khz,16Bit, MONO/STEREO),
XviD MPEG 4 Video, JPEG
Capacity Hard disk (20GB/30GB)
PC interface USB 2.0 (MAX 480M bps)
Playable media files 2,000 folders and 10,000 files.
Battery Built-in Rechargeable Lithium Ion Battery
Power Supply AC adapter DC 5.0V, 2A
Max. Continuous Playback time Up to 14 Hours (X5) / 35 Hours (X5L) of Continuous Playback(Based on company's self-test, The playing time may be shortened according to LCD usages.)
Charging Time Approximately 3 hours when using the AC power adaptor (6 hours for iAUDIO X5L)
Buttons Main Unit : 5-way Jog(NAVI/MANU, VOL+, VOL-, REW, FF)
PLAY, REC, POWER & HOLD Switch
Remote Control : PLAY/PAUSE, FF, REW, MENU, VOL+, VOL-, MODE, REC
Display 160 x 128 Pixel, 260,000 color TFT-LCD
SNR 95dB
Max Output 16 Ohm earphones : 20mW + 20mW
Frequency Range 20Hz ~ 20KHz
Size (excluding the LCD) iAUDIO X5 : 4.08 X 2.39 X 0.56 inches (103.7 X 60.8 X 14.3 mm)
iAUDIO X5L : 4.08 X 2.39 X 0.72 inches (103.7 X 60.8 X 18.3 mm)
Weight iAUDIO X5 : 5.11 oz (145g)
iAUDIO X5L : 6.35 oz (180g)

Pentium 200MHz or Higher
32MB Main Memory or more
40MB Hard Disk Space or more
256 or Higher color display
OS
- Microsoft Windows 98/98se/ME/2000/XP
- MAC OS 9.X, 10.X (Only data transfer supported)
- Linux kernel v2.2 or higher (Only data transfer supported)
USB Port
CD-ROM Drive

Dar
25-08-05, 10:24 AM
Holy crap! Thats alot of text to get through.

I have an iPod shuffle and its brilliant! Can't fault it. Loads of battery life, loud and its teeny weeny. Also no moving parts. So it should last forever....ish

You get iTunes with any iPod you buy. But you can download iTunes from the apple site before hand to see if you like it. Its simple to use and you just basically feed it your CD collection. Then you can burn backups if you like or make new compliations.

The iPod & iPod mini are also great but out of all the music I have I don't listen to more than a small percentage of it at one time. So my Shuffle just contains my fave tracks. You can fit around 500 or so songs on the 1GB version, so thats alot of fave tunes.

sickrabbit
25-08-05, 12:07 PM
There is another much cheaper option here mate . Why not go for an Mp3 player a 512mb one off ebay . They vary in price , but are very small , very easy to use ( just download Real players free basic set up - then transfer cd,s thru your pc. )and some come with an fm radio . The only thing thats a minus to these units is the earphones - but I,ve slapped a sony cheapo set on ( ?7.99 - argos ) and am amazed at the sound reproduction.If your like me and like to have sounds with you most of the time , you wont have to worry on silly issues like putting your player in an empty pocket ect - just pop these in with you money keys whatever - the are robust , and dont damage, and due to their size -very portable. You just have to wait a couple of weeks to have it imported . I think these units will surpass the iPod , but time will tell. It, ll save you a few quid mate........

Dar
25-08-05, 01:46 PM
Just had a look at those little MP3 players on eBay. Cheap as chips!
They do appear to be a good cheap alternative to the iPod shuffle.
If you haven't got alot of dosh to spend they look good.

Given the choice I think I would still have the shuffle. Apple stuff is very good and always does exactly what it says on the tin....and to the spec you expect.

Ian
25-08-05, 04:11 PM
we have an ipod 20g and a mini, no probs at all, battery is fine, 15hrs they last for now

theres a reason the ipod is the best seller in the world and these so called ipod killers arent.

Nick
25-08-05, 09:44 PM
I bought an IPOD the other day, not a mini, the full on Colour/photo one.

it's brilliant. You can convert existing WMA's, MP3's e.t.c into AAC format using I-tunes. You can also upload CD's onto the ipod too, all using I-tunes.

However, you can't copy Protected WMA's onto the ipod unfortunatly , but im finding out a way to do it !

The ipod is functional and dead simple, it's easy to use and looks quality. The attention to design and detail with all Apple hardware is one step ahead of anything else on the market.

my battery lasts for ages, and when ever you connect it to your computer it charges through the USB and updates any changes to your ipod since last time (adds new music, new photo's, new album art, new track info e.t.c)

Ian
25-08-05, 11:15 PM
ade, if you order through apple and know a lecturer/teacher/student and do it in their name you get a 10% discount, look for education discount on apple site.

dooooney
25-08-05, 11:23 PM
lol i had one of the ebay ones they is shit broke in a week i had 4 of them top a total of 130 pounds so i say they should not b wanted

reson not to get apple ipod if your useing windows prpare your self to not get the shit off of it foreva i tunes is the hardst program to uninstall not only do you have to uninstall it from your control pannel you then have to delete the folder from program files then all your music is in i tunes format and good luck converting that

Dar
26-08-05, 01:31 PM
You can get iTunes to convert your music to mp3 or indeed juist have it import the music as mp3. So no worries there.

As for uninstalling it. It uninstalls just like any other program. Plus would you like ALL your music to dissapear once you uninstalled it? I wouldn't.

Jack
26-08-05, 01:51 PM
reson not to get apple ipod if your useing windows prpare your self to not get the s**t off of it foreva i tunes is the hardst program to uninstall not only do you have to uninstall it from your control pannel you then have to delete the folder from program files then all your music is in i tunes format and good luck converting that
Wow, manually having to delete a folder after the auto uninstall, phew, tough work... try ones that leave crappy reg keys and startup files all over your HD! :lol:

A lot of programs I've come across often leave an empty folder behind... Thats why I put all my programs in the C:\Programs Files folder, games in the C:\Games folder, etc etc... makes them easier to find lol

I remember when I uninstalled an olllllld version of RealJukebox years and years ago - only after that I realised I'd inadvertantly given all my MP3's a security key and couldn't play a single one of them! Had to re-install it and re-record all the MP3s without the key :lol:

Nick
26-08-05, 06:42 PM
^ yep i don't know what that guy is on about.

I-tunes uninstalls fine, and works great.