PDA

View Full Version : scary driving !

DISCO GSI
24-08-05, 12:10 PM
My 91 gsi feels horrid to drive! its lowered 40mm on apex shocks and springs and i have 15" oz super t's i have changed the rack , ball joints , nylon bushes , track rod ends got two new tyres and its still scarry

any one got ideas of how i can get it to handle better and stop some of the understeer? i use the car day to day and have a average budget to play with !

Adam
24-08-05, 12:16 PM
What offset/width are the wheels.
Put some standard et49 wheels on, see if that sorts it.

Jack
24-08-05, 12:16 PM
I'd have thought a setup like that should be quite good! When you say its horrid to drive, can you give us any more details as to how its bad?

What tyres are you using?

Stuart
24-08-05, 12:56 PM
if you have a front ARB, remove it.

get the camber and tracking setup properly. then try...

also tyres are important. if you have ditchfinders then that will explain 70% of the problem

DISCO GSI
24-08-05, 01:06 PM
loads of under steer fornt end feels like its about to let go im going to try some origional vauxhall rims but the only ones i can find in my area are astra fan blades and im not too keen on them! in a ideal world sone cav gsi or mk3 astra rims would be nice

Atic
24-08-05, 09:47 PM
Understeer causes:

1) too much pressure
2) too hard suspension

My standart nova had understeer problems...so i think its not a problem, its it character :lol:
Try to learn how to go through a bent properly and how to use Left foot braking :idea:

leemh1234
24-08-05, 10:23 PM
thats 1 wierd problem.my gsi just cuts out 4 no reason.it's lowered 60mm on cav gsi rims and its fine so it's strange y urs is like that.Did you get the tracking done when u changed the suspension?if not get it looked at. 8)

Dan
25-08-05, 12:37 AM
as stuart said remove the anti roll bar and get all the geometry checked, that should improve things

Ste_Nova
25-08-05, 08:47 AM
remove arb

fit new bushes, lower arms and tie bars

4 wheel alignment

Lee
26-08-05, 05:42 PM
sounds like too much toe out caused by not having the car tracked when it was lowered to me!

mowgli
27-08-05, 10:35 PM
what tyre pessure are you on?
A prat who used to work for me had a corsa on 215/40r18's and he had them at 51psi all round, apparently he had read the max pressure on the sidewall. at least it explained why he kept spinning it.
seriously, the bigger the wheel, the more important the correct tyre pessure is

Dod
27-08-05, 11:55 PM
I'm guessing we're not fans of Front Anti Roll bars, what about the rear item? My Car was like that, then thi busted both front Gas Shocks and it actually handles much better now. Also' i'm running 16's with a 42 or 45mm Offset, they catch a bit on the rear but the front is rock solid and it gives her a far steadier stance meaning cornering is a dream, just need to sort out the rear arches a bit, Lump hammer here i come!!