PDA

View Full Version : going for a gsi engine too much for a 17 year old?

antinator
23-08-05, 10:24 PM
if i was to get a gsi engine fitted to my nova would i cost me loads for a garage to do it also would my insurance jump ten fold........if i tell them?

Dan
23-08-05, 10:34 PM
if i was to get a gsi engine fitted to my nova would i cost me loads for a garage to do it also would my insurance jump ten fold........if i tell them?

erm, learn to drive first then maybe upgrade the engine as you learn to drive and acquire some no claims (i mean actually learn after you have been given a silly card to say you can move a car unsupervised)

Also, if you tell them? If you dont you deserve to loose your liscence at minimum. There are reasons why faster things cost more.

On the flipside if you have deep pockets then do as you wish but expect to get raped for the privilege

antinator
23-08-05, 10:41 PM
i have a licence and i meant to say 18 (sorry typo) its becoming annoying being outrun by most cars.....maybe im thinking wrong but i am not too good when it comes to engines and tuning usually pay 4 it :(

ANDYRACER
23-08-05, 10:55 PM
Well what u driving now? U thought of maybe a 1.4 with a 32/34 carb, manifold n full exhaust? Sam aka Mad driver has the same set up and since fittin the carb he hasnt shut up about how good the performance is. The step between the 1.4 and 1.6 in insurance terms is hugh and not worth it imo.

antinator
23-08-05, 11:03 PM
mmm could go for twin webers but r they best left for the pros to fit???

Jack
23-08-05, 11:05 PM
A std GTE/GSi will probably be cheaper to insure than a 1.4 with engine mods... especially T40s

ANDYRACER
23-08-05, 11:06 PM
Yep but fitting twin webbers will take ur insurance up to the same insurnace group as a 1.6.

antinator
23-08-05, 11:10 PM
:x grrrrr dont think ill do those then im paying ???? atm for insurance i really hate being sooo young i think i need to know sum cheap mods which improve bhp nicly

sickrabbit
23-08-05, 11:19 PM
Tart the car up first , get it lookin sweet , you speak of being outrun - does this mean you race on the roads?? Theres a lesson to be learnt on the roads and having a motor that goes shagspeed will only put most new drivers either in the ditch , the emergency room or in a pine overcoat .
Go steady mate - you dont know whats around that corner.......

antinator
23-08-05, 11:26 PM
mmm yeah its just like mine takes like 20 sec to get 0-60!!!!! really does put me down lol

sickrabbit
23-08-05, 11:29 PM
Me too mate .....I like to use the term cruisin ...slow and easy like. There is only one time to burn rubber - and she,d better cook breakfast in the morning after an all. :twisted:

ultimatepug
23-08-05, 11:37 PM
here comes some wise words from the wise old man...

1st off, yes insurance wil go through the roof...
next, if you do upgrade, make sure you upgrade the suspension and brakes too

last but not least insurance... i didnt bother to tell them, luckily enough for me i managed to get away with it when i wrapped it. that was a very big lesson learnt my son, i then had to start from scratch/penniless and buy another car.

to sum up its simply not worth it just yet.....

adam

Cassie-Nova
24-08-05, 12:27 AM
I'm in the same boat as you mate, 19yrs old, not long passed my test, 1.2 nova, fancy a bit more grunt etc etc... had a go in my mates Honda Civic V-Tech B16 on the weekend, holy shite.... I can honestly say I doubt I could handle that car on the road w/o being all over the shop and quite probably crashing... too much power for too little a driving experience...

Give it a year, presuming you have a 1.2? I have decided to get some nice wheels, lower it a bit, weber carb and an ashley exhaust system and leave it at that....will look nice, ickle bit nippier than your average 1.2 (not much) but that'll be me satisfied for a year ;) After a year your ins drops presuming you get a yrs ncb....

Race a 1.3 and you want a 1.6gsi...what about when you "race" something more powerful, upgrade the engine to a 2ltr? Pay even more ins? Stick with it a year mate......

Mike
24-08-05, 07:55 AM
jsut settle for a 1400 SR lunp. still bout ?2k to insure if your young though?

mines ?2.5k with 2 claims and 3 points? im nearly 20!!! :o

mike

Ste_Nova
24-08-05, 08:53 AM
mines ?2.5k with 2 claims and 3 points? im nearly 20!!! :o

mike

:o thats too much... i'm paying under ?200 for my 1.6 now

Dpnova
24-08-05, 08:58 AM
im 20 with 1 years no claims and i pay 800 on my gte

Jos
24-08-05, 09:19 AM
I know where you're coming from antinator.

I'm 18, and had my licence for nearly a year now.
I've been wanting a bigger engine for ages (currently only a lawnmower 1.0l :oops:)

My insurance has finally began to drop out of the insane limits, and I've decided that I'm going to see what my premuim would be with a 1.4 SRi engine. They have about 82bhp WITH a cat, and (I think) as my nova is pre cat, I won't need one fitted.

Give it a year, and make sure you DO tell your insurers, else you'll be hard pressed to get insurance at all in the coming 6years

Stuart
24-08-05, 09:23 AM
more old git wise words lol.

I got a 1.2 nova when i was 18ish and the ins was ?950ish. My mates might ahve had faster cars etc but they all binned them within 6-9months where as i managed to keep my 1.2 in one piece for 5 years. Ok she wasnt the fastest thing on the road, nor was it the prettiest. but it gave me 5 years no claims and an appreciation for faster cars.

at the end of the day its only peer pressure that makes you think you have to get a fast car when your young...... but look at CP hes and old coffer and hes running a baad ass fast nova lol so you dont have to get it all out of your system before you hit 25.

Just grin and bear it, and build up the no claims before you start modding properly. And when you do start, go with brakes, suspension and tyres before adding power to the engine.

obv its all just my humble opinion, but im happy with cheap insurance now :D

Jim
24-08-05, 09:55 AM

Yes, but how old are you Ste (late 20, early 30's?) and how many years NCB do you have? Do you think it's wise posting replies like this without background info as you're only going to make these young drivers think they can get insured on a 1.6 for ?200 :roll:

I don't know what the rush is with young drivers these days :| I'd only be repeating what has been said by the older members, so instead I'll say...

Do what you want, it's your money, your car, your life, etc.

Jim

sickrabbit
24-08-05, 10:44 AM
I,d like a motor with a bit more go , but the reality is even tho the car may have more poke the legal speed limit is 70mph - and sadly it is overlooked and often ignored by loads of people. It is peer presure to a degree , but foot peddle pressure no matter what the car power, is the most important factor here , and some just dont respect it , OR the safety of other road users. With age comes experience - with experience comes knowledge . I know loads of kids thru my work who are privileged , they,ve passed their tests at 17 yrs of age and the first car theyve owned was far more than they could handle - one in particular was a golf gti . Lasted approx a month....but at least he walked away...........
I,m not digging hints towards anyone here , but do you really believe that most new drivers DONT push the limits of their ability at least once to test their boundries ?? I,m a new driver - been on the road for 3 years now ,and at 38 yrs of age I,m still learning . Thankfully there is no peer pressure to affect ability to drive in a normal manner - if someone passes me with speed , then stuff em , I,m in no rush to catch em and I dont find it embaressing - we all have to start somewhere . Premiums are set for different values , including age awareness....sorry , but its the truth- as there are far too many boy racers out there - face it , we,ve all met em regardless of the car , But with a far more concious affect if theyve a fast un. ..........

wise words in that advertisment - SPEED KILLS.

antinator
24-08-05, 10:53 AM
mmmm these words have made me feel i have no need for speed anymore :lol: maybe my accel needs doing instead lol but i have read in redline mag a 18 year old in a supra twin turbo............they must have diff rules 2 uk

antinator
24-08-05, 10:57 AM
this is in austrailia 4got to metion....

Dpnova
24-08-05, 11:19 AM
i dont class myself as a great driver, but just because i have a 1.6 at 20 doesnt mean im out to kill myself....like said your money mate

Jack
24-08-05, 11:23 AM
afaik Australian police are even worse than UK fuzz when it comes to tolerating modified cars lol

If you really want to make your 1.2 quicker without affecting insurance, then strip it. It'll be lighter and feel quicker. Check with your insurance company how they stand on small mods like filter, exhaust, wheels, suspension, brakes etc. Decent handling and brakes will also make a car feel quicker.

IMO its not speed alone that kills, its poor driving in general or inappropriate use of speed.

antinator
24-08-05, 11:25 AM
wait where did i say i had a 1.2??? just wondering as my car feature is below....1.3gl also does any1 know what the gl actually stands for..and what came xtra with this type if anything?

Rexy
24-08-05, 11:33 AM
As everybody has pretty much said, if you want a faster car your going to have to pay for it...

Start small and work your way up.

I started with a 1.2 nova saloon that cost me ?1200 to insure at 17, it was only until I'd been driving for about a year I decided to get a corsa sport 1400 (?2000 insurance) even then the jump was pretty big (power wise) after having the corsa for two years I decided to get a clio 16v which again was another power increase (?1000 insurance), theres a few other car's but i cant be arsed... Stick with a 1.0l/1.2 do what dan said and actually learn to drive the car then go for an increase in power.

Thats what I did, but I loved my 1.2 lol Oh I'm 23 as well driving a 1297cc Nova and thats only because i decided to go back to college and I've always liked novas :D

Jack
24-08-05, 11:51 AM
lol whoops, my bad... dunno, i guess i had 1.2's on the brain :lol: 1.3 then!

And yeah working up the power scale is definately better than going in one big jump. Says me who went from a 55bhp Nova to a car with 60bhp in each corner lmfao

Will
24-08-05, 01:11 PM
if you build up your no claims, by the time you are 23 with full NCB (in theory) insuring a GSI will cost you about 400 notes

1.2-1.4 bracket is the best place for under 21 nova drivers but as said before do as you wish but spending more than 1k on insurance is a waste of money in my eyes

Austin_Nova16
24-08-05, 01:27 PM
Well, I I had my first 2.0 16v at 18 after running around in a 1.3 for a bit, was absolutly rapid for the time, but was just a case of not going balls out all the time, and getting used to it.

A mate of mine got his 300bhp cossie at 18. Nothing wrong with that, he still has it now, 3 years on running over 400. Perfect.

At the end of the day, do what you want to do. A 100bhp 1.6 isn't really that fast anyway.

As for insureance, get a parent insured Third Party only then get a small runaround and insure with a company like CIS who give TPF&T insurance on any other car....

boredbloke
24-08-05, 02:30 PM
WTF does it matter how fast your car is?

maximum u can do on a street is spos to be 30mph and mways 70

as long as the car gets ya from a to b who cares how fast, I thought exactly the same as u did i had a 1.3 now i've got a 1.6 honda del sol and it does shift, but i still can't go any faster than i was in the nova,

only difference is the fact it has comfy seats and the rides smoother but thas got nothing to do with power so i'll be off!

Jack
24-08-05, 03:04 PM
As for insureance, get a parent insured Third Party only then get a small runaround and insure with a company like CIS who give TPF&T insurance on any other car....
I didn't think CIS gave any-car polices out on TPF&T any more? I had one with my Fiat, but that was about 5 years ago now!

i've got a 1.6 honda del sol and it does shift, but i still can't go any faster than i was in the nova
Put the new front bumper on, that'll add 400bhp :lol:

Austin_Nova16
24-08-05, 03:49 PM
as long as the car gets ya from a to b who cares how fast, I thought exactly the same as u did i had a 1.3 now i've got a 1.6 honda del sol and it does shift, but i still can't go any faster than i was in the nova,

Obviously some of us don't just consider our 'boyed up' novas as something to get from A to B. Thats what a 'run around' is for.

Razor...CIS still do it, as my mate still has his cossie insured this way.

Mike.
24-08-05, 07:24 PM
lol @ this post

my novas a 1.2 but i've gone a different route, i'm build a nova track car, you don't have to insure a track car, just trailor it to tracks and etc

iff you want a fast car go down that route, or you will have to wait and build up ncb up

my other car is a 1.1 but i don't give a shit :lol:

Ste_Nova
24-08-05, 10:16 PM

Yes, but how old are you Ste (late 20, early 30's?) and how many years NCB do you have? Do you think it's wise posting replies like this without background info as you're only going to make these young drivers think they can get insured on a 1.6 for ?200 :roll:

30 next year :lol: 18yrs ncd :o but i did have a gsi when i was 17 and had it insured fully comp for ?700 :P

boredbloke
24-08-05, 10:24 PM
Put the new front bumper on, that'll add 400bhp :lol:

u know it'll look cool when it's done....

ANDYRACER
24-08-05, 10:42 PM
lol @ this post

my novas a 1.2 but i've gone a different route, i'm build a nova track car, you don't have to insure a track car, just trailor it to tracks and etc

iff you want a fast car go down that route, or you will have to wait and build up ncb up

my other car is a 1.1 but i don't give a s**t :lol:

U do reliese u have to be 21 to be able to pull a trailer big enough to fit a car on. I asked a similar question a while ago. The best way to get round it is to fully comp ur 1.1 and get ur dad insured 3rd party on ur nova.

Jack
25-08-05, 09:27 AM
U do reliese u have to be 21 to be able to pull a trailer big enough to fit a car on. I asked a similar question a while ago.
WTF? Whoever told you that was talking out their arse :lol:

Will
25-08-05, 10:56 AM

30 next year :lol: 18yrs ncd :o but i did have a gsi when i was 17 and had it insured fully comp for ?700 :P

that was in 1992 when most ppl on this site were 5 yrs old

Stuart
25-08-05, 11:26 AM
U do reliese u have to be 21 to be able to pull a trailer big enough to fit a car on. I asked a similar question a while ago.
WTF? Whoever told you that was talking out their a*** :lol:

its sort of true(ish) you'd need L plates and certain rules apply.

you can tow a trailer that weighs upto the unladen weight of the tow car, but the trailer+load+car cannot weigh more than 3 Tons.

this is the new rule that was introduced in Jan 1997 (fuckers)

Jack
25-08-05, 12:44 PM
Yeah, I looked on the DVLA site before posting but couldn't find any mention of trailer size, only weights....

It says that class B covers you with a trailer up to the unladen weight of the car - so you could probably get away with a stripped track car - and it says about the total weight limit. So say the towing car is 1400kgs (allowing for a big fat one to tow the trailer lol) + driver @ 80kgs (fat arse lol) + trailer say 100kgs + Nova at say 800kgs... thats still under 2500kgs, so well within the limit. If its over the limits though what class does it go into?

Mike.
25-08-05, 07:10 PM
lol @ this post

my other car is a 1.1 but i don't give a s**t :lol:

U do reliese u have to be 21 to be able to pull a trailer big enough to fit a car on. I asked a similar question a while ago. The best way to get round it is to fully comp ur 1.1 and get ur dad insured 3rd party on ur nova.

you do realise, that i can't afford to insure the 1.1 fully comp :roll:
and did i say that i would tow the car there.

my dad could tow it there :lol:

Jim
25-08-05, 08:14 PM

Care to tell us what insurance company you are with? I'd love to know which company (that deals with numbers all year round) can't figure out that 30 minus 18 = 12

Jim

lara_croft
25-08-05, 11:17 PM
ha ha, im lovin being a girl?!!!!! lol.

my insurance was ?600 on my 1.2 the day i passed and then was ?700 when i got the 1.4sr. now i have 3 yrs no claims at 20 and only pay ?350! it definitely better the keep the lower engine size to build up the no claims on your own policy. especially as blokes tend to get the raw deal.

even with a gte or gsi, if you are up against someone with more driving experience, they would still cain you just knowing how to use their power better. just my opinion but id wait a while!

Adam
25-08-05, 11:28 PM

Care to tell us what insurance company you are with? I'd love to know which company (that deals with numbers all year round) can't figure out that 30 minus 18 = 12

Jim
Lol, i thought there was something wrong when i read, aged 30, 18yrs NCB.

Ste_Nova
26-08-05, 08:16 AM

Jim

one policy with 10 years on.... the other with 8 :P

Jack
26-08-05, 11:18 AM
even with a gte or gsi, if you are up against someone with more driving experience, they would still cain you just knowing how to use their power better. just my opinion but id wait a while!
As they say, "A car is only as fast as its driver"...

Lee
26-08-05, 07:57 PM
also lol at this post.

Have to agree with the oldies, definately drive something slow to get used to driving for a few years. I had a 1.2 corsa and then a 1.8 GL cav (which was about as quick lol).

I have to drive approx 50 000 miles a year because of my job, and have been for the past five years, and some of the things ive seen i dont even want to describe.
I have come to the conclusion that its not YOUR driving ability you have to worry about so much, its THEM!! Therefore, you could spend 3 years getting some NCB and developing into a good driver, but then you could happily drive down the road and someone pulls out of a side road without looking (happend to me more times than I can remember, and put the front end of a transit through a 405 on one occasion) and the difference between doing 50 in a 1.0 or 80 - 90 in a GSi is life or death.

I may sound like an old bugger, but im only 23, The road really is NOT a place to be driving like a twat, and I mostly burble around in the blue one hardly ever coming onto the cam (unless Dan is enywhere nearby :lol: ), so its coming off the road and an old Carlton is being purchased to tow it to events. As mentioned, this eliminates the need for insurance and Tax, and gives me some nice piece of mind that if i blow her up on a track day i can still get myself and the car home, and i can also use the barge for work because ive employed someone who has to use my van (dont think a 3 tier ladder on the nova would look good at all)

Jack
26-08-05, 08:17 PM
I have come to the conclusion that its not YOUR driving ability you have to worry about so much, its THEM!!
Seconded!

Jim
26-08-05, 08:35 PM
I have come to the conclusion that its not YOUR driving ability you have to worry about so much, its THEM!!
Seconded!

Who's to say your not one of THEM though?

:P

Jim

Lee
26-08-05, 09:16 PM
fair comment. in that case, look out for ME :lol: although i have got into the habit of looking before i pull out, and getting into the correct lane, and not fiddling with the stereo when approaching a roundabout, and stopping at a red light, and going 30 in a 30, and not using the car in front to stop, and not letting my dog sit on my lap while driving, and not recieving fellatio from my girlfriend on the M25 in the outside lane. All of which i have seen on the road at some point in time and although sometimes it amuses me, most of the time it sickens me.
The police spend so much time waiting around for people doing 90 on a motorway, people who probably drive a long way everyday and have plenty of experience, and then turn a blind eye when Mrs Old Fart who can hardly see over her bifocals accidentally overshoots a T junction because shes almost completely blind!!

Rant over