PDA

View Full Version : New airbox

Dar
23-08-05, 07:08 PM
Another addition to the car ticked off of my list :twisted:

My car run's throttle boides as most of you already know. Because of this the car has a loud induction note! Mine seems louder than most for some reason. Anyway this limits what tracks I can go to because the car is right on the 100db driveby noise limit (Its fine on the static test).

So I hand this made up to limit the noise that the throttle boides make. Once I have connected it up to the filter and had it tested I will let you know how effective it has been.

So for all of you who are having problems running at Donnington because of the drive by noise. This may be of use to you.

It fits directly on to the same back plate as the normal air filter. So I can change from one to the other.

Dar

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v485/DPursey/DSC03820Small.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v485/DPursey/DSC03822Small.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v485/DPursey/DSC03823Small.jpg

BigRuss
23-08-05, 07:16 PM
If it does the job get it anodised mate :wink: would look sexy then 8)

Might it strangle the car a bit though??

Dar
23-08-05, 08:55 PM
Yeah - I hope it doesn't strangle the car but there is that possibility. I went for as big a diameter hole as I thought was nessecary but hey ho. If it does it will get modifyed again ;)

Jack
23-08-05, 09:38 PM
And when its not in use you can store a loaf of Hovis in it! :lol:

ANDYRACER
23-08-05, 11:16 PM
Looks like a good idea. Defo needs to be chromed

mad-driver
23-08-05, 11:24 PM
And when its not in use you can store a loaf of Hovis in it! :lol:

Do Hovis make air filters? 8)

scott.parker
24-08-05, 12:54 AM
Dam good idea mate,i think in the future
i might need one of these,oh and glad to see if i do i will already have the ITG fillter to put on :wink:

Let us know what it dose power perfomance wise,cheers.

Scott

Dpnova
24-08-05, 08:04 AM
nice one mate, hope it does all what its supposed to

Adam Moran
24-08-05, 09:45 AM
Very interesting idea this Darren, will be interested to see how much it resticts it ;)

Stuart
24-08-05, 12:03 PM
id be a little concerned with the intake hole location.... id have gone more for the middle.

but aslong as its got a volume of 2litres or more then you should be ok, just be wary of leaning Number 4 out.

how far into the box do the trumpets go? if they dont go in very far then you ar sorted.

Adam Moran
24-08-05, 12:11 PM
I would say half way looking at the pic Stu

Dar
24-08-05, 02:24 PM
Its all connected now but its too damn wet to take the car out. But from running it in the garage the difference is that I can hear the exhaust rather than the TB's when giving it some rev's. In fact I can't hear the TB's at all. I really need to get it under full load to test it fully. Then I can go get it sound tested as well.

I remember doing the calcs for the air flow and im sure its fine. The TB's are 45mm(Diameter) each so all four would represent an area of 6361.7mm square. The main inlet for the airbox is 95mm(Diameter) which has an area of 7088.2mm square. So it should breath fine.

As for the intake placement leaning off cylinder four. Im quite sure this won't happen. It might not look it in the piccys but the box is quite big and each trumpet has alot of space around and especially in front of it.

It was something I was more than aware of when I was getting the box made. As well as the size of the air intake. However as much as you plan for these things there is nothing like testing the final product to make sure that all is well. Therefore I will be checking the plugs to make sure its not running lean after the first run.

Thanks for the heads up though :D

-Bruce-
24-08-05, 06:17 PM
Looks good dar. Not spoken in ages mate hope things are good.

Speak later

Bruce