PDA

View Full Version : Strange electrical fault

lightweight racer
23-08-05, 06:55 PM
Hi guys, got a rather odd problem with me SR: elecrical that is!
Today when i changed the rad over (needed replacing) i unplugged the coil pack and moved it (undid the earth wire under the securing bolts for the coil) unplugged the fan and the rad temp sensor and changed the rad over. At the same time i fitted my new horn.
Then fitted the new fan plugged in all the correct plugs, tightened all the jubilee clips, secured the coil pack back (including ther earth wire in the same place and everything was the same as id had before the new rad.

Turn the engine on, perfect, starts fine. Replaced all cooloant and waited to get to temp (fan cut in). The engine stalled when the fan did come on, wierd. Oh well try again..same thing. Very weird.

So i goto try if its a fan proble, start engine after its cooled a little, turn lights onto main beam, engine stalls, BUT, the main beams do not come on, the dash (digidash) states that they are on (and full beam is stuck on, but no light thru headlights, but thru my indicators.... :? :? :?

Strange...yes, the end of the problems....no

If you've got this far may i apologise for the length of this post, there are loads of things wrong which i have tried to narrow down.

Before the indicators worked fine (not sure about headlights as the cars been sorn for a year now)

So back to the engine, when any load is put on it (interior fan, rad fan or lights the engine stalls, altho the battery gauge on digi-dash stays constant, not even a flicker, checked this with a multimeter and the same, so why is the engine dying? Its a brand new 50VA battery, the alternator is fine too.

Now back to the lights: when the sidelights are on there are no problems. When you 'flash' the full beam with the engine on the full beam light comes on (as you'd expect) but both the indicator lights on the dash (not on car itself) come on very dim.

With the engine off and keys out of ignition, the headlight switch is turned on to maij beam, however the dash goes thru its 'power-up' fault findimg stage as you would get when the ignition is turned on, albeit a little feinter. The indicator lights on the dash show up dull and the full beam is stuck on.

The alarm has decided that it wants to join in the fun too, and flashes all indicators as before, bar the fronts where now it flashes the mian beam lights.

using the indicators with the engine running also results in the car stalling on every flash (the full beam light on dash is also on with every flash)

Please help! I did not touch the light with the rad change and it has only started playing up since then.

If you think it would be easier to chat thru the problem my msn messenger is on_the_dex@hotmail.com.

Sorry again for the immense post,

Lee

BigRuss
23-08-05, 07:24 PM
It's the earth by/on the coil , take it back off , clean all areas possibly renew the end and resecure. Should be ok then :wink:

lightweight racer
23-08-05, 10:20 PM
Is that all it could be BigRuss? its just i checked the continuity of the earth for one idicator direct to the chassis and battery and both were fine :?

Is there anything else this could be?

Its just i don't want to have to strip the dash out to check all the wiring only to find that water has got trapped in somewhere (it was raining well heavy here yesterday.

Cheers

lightweight racer
24-08-05, 01:55 PM
Cheers BigRuss! It worked!!

Cleaned the terminal up on the earth and connected it thru the other bolt holding the coil on and all was cured. Its so strange that one earth can f*ck the whole of the car up!!

Cheers again

Lee

Adam
24-08-05, 03:24 PM
Cleaned the terminal up on the earth and connected it thru the other bolt holding the coil on and all was cured. Its so strange that one earth can f*ck the whole of the car up!!

It is yeah.
I remember when one of my amps had a dodgy earth connection in my astra boot, my alarm wouldn't stop going off, the mfd display was flashing :o, and the car wouldn't start. :lol:

I connected it to a better point, and all was fine.

BigRuss
24-08-05, 09:46 PM
No prob mate, glad to help out tbh :D