PDA

View Full Version : Engine conversions and insurance companies?

NOVA_JONO
23-08-05, 04:59 PM
Hi, i'm 18 and have been thinking about replacing my 1.2i engine with 1.4 16v one, thing is do any insurance companies insure engine conversions for people under 19?

Cheers Jono

Jack
23-08-05, 05:47 PM
Some do, some don't, but expect to pay top whack for it.

Companies used to insure it as if it was the donor car - so in this case for example a corsa sport, at group 6 - but thats pretty rare now these days. The few companies that will cover you just tend to smack a big premium on :(

doni_nova12
31-08-05, 04:32 PM
wat ya meaning here lads? i swapped a corsa engine into mine, does that mean i have to tell the insurance, aas i didnt think i woulda have as its still a 1.2?

did not, not tell them because i didnt want, jus didnt see any reason for, might aswell fone and find out?

Jack
31-08-05, 04:41 PM
You should tell the isunrance company of ANY aftermarket modification to your car - including engine swaps, even if its like for like.

In the case of engine swaps they will consider that the structural integrity of the car could have been compromised, and as a result the car is at a theoretical higher risk of mechanical failure.... i.e. the engine falling out lol

doni_nova12
31-08-05, 10:59 PM
so, the same still applies if you were to swap the engine before you got the insurance, and then you would have to tell them that, instead of the car being a 1.2 it was say a 1.6, instead of, jus saying it's a 1.6 car?
e.g.......

A-

driver:i had a 1.2 nova, but converted the engine to a 1.6?
or B-

driver:I would like insurance on a 1.6 nova please?

take yer pick

Jack
01-09-05, 08:51 AM
You'd still have to tell them its converted, even if it wasn't you that did it, or it was converted before the insurance cover began/will begin.

Nick
19-09-05, 08:37 PM
LMFAO, of course you have to tell the insurance when you swap an engine lol

Doesn't make any difference, they'l do a reg check and see it's a Nova Luxe 1.6 or something, it's obvious it's been changed and not a GSi/GTE

SRimon
21-09-05, 08:17 PM
HIC

Nick
21-09-05, 09:00 PM
throught HIC/Adrian flux i got referred to a company under their control and have been qouted ?928 on a 1.6 coversion, 40's cam e.t.c all insured. 0NCB and 19, 2 years of driving

to be honest it's an amazingly good qoute, but it's on a 5k a year policy