PDA

View Full Version : 1.4 SRi

Jos
23-08-05, 12:11 PM
Hey,

I currently own a standard nova without a exhaust cat.
I am planning on putting a 1.4l SRi engine in, but the SRi has a cat.

Will I find any problems if I don't fit a cat on an engine that is designed for one?
Will need a cat for it to go through an MOT?

Thanks for any comments.

dunova
23-08-05, 12:15 PM
The engine will run fine without a cat, but will not pass the MOT.

Jos
23-08-05, 12:21 PM
even though the nova I will be putting it in wasn't built with a cat?

(thanks for your reply :D )

dunova
23-08-05, 12:28 PM
I think so (not 100% though) because they'll note the engine number/model/CC etc and 'should' notice that it was built after certain emmision laws were bought in. It may be though that the tester doesn't pay much attention and just tests it as an older car.

Jos
23-08-05, 12:46 PM
that's fine then, as I have a good friend who MOT's my car, and will overlook things that aren't a danger

Aragorn
23-08-05, 10:08 PM
what a load of pish

how mny times have people been over this

basic rules are as follows

any car pre-august 1992 (k plate) doesnt need cat
any car after august 1992 needs a cat

there are lots of factors tho

a 1993 car with a 1991 engine doesnt need a cat for instance

there was also a change over period from aug 92 to aug 94 to allow MFR's to use up stocks of older non-cat equipped engines so if your cars built between aug 92 and aug 94 and the engines NOT on the list for that car it has to be tested as non-cat even if the engines newer

an example of this would be fitting a 1995 c20xe to a 1993 nova shell, it infact DOESNT need a cat as its not listed on the engine database for a 1993 nova

Jos
24-08-05, 08:50 AM
so, if I fit a 1992 SRi engine into my 1991 nova, I WON'T require a cat because my car was built before the emission laws increased again, even though the engine wasn't?

Adam
24-08-05, 11:28 AM
so, if I fit a 1992 SRi engine into my 1991 nova, I WON'T require a cat because my car was built before the emission laws increased again, even though the engine wasn't?
It depends if the SRI was registered before August 1992 or not.

Jos
24-08-05, 11:33 AM
I thought all SRi's were built after September 1992?

Aragorn
24-08-05, 11:58 AM
jackass your correct, no 1991 car needs a cat

long-live read what i posted above u plank

Adam
24-08-05, 12:01 PM
long-live read what i posted above u plank
My mistake.
Its too early in the morning for me :lol:

Jack
24-08-05, 12:12 PM
YOU CANNOT (or should not) FAIL AN MOT FOR NOT HAVING A CAT.

You *can* however fail on emissions. If your decat SRi engine's emissions are fine then you'll be ok BUT the tester should alert you to the fact that your car has no CAT and thus may fail a roadside emissions test.

Its not a case of needing or not needing a CAT, its a case of what emissions test the car is put through.

http://www.novaload.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=114605

Ste L
24-08-05, 11:12 PM
sri's aint the easiest of conversions either unless you use the corsa 1.4 sri engine and loom,

on the nova sri, the engine loom is apart of the car loom

jamie gsi16v
24-08-05, 11:36 PM
loom is easy to cut and join though, just cut what you need and join them in, nothings impossible.

Ste L
25-08-05, 12:10 AM
didn't say it was impossible, just said it was a pain in the arse, cos the looms are joint, and if your shit with wires, it makes it harder, than just joing 6 or so wires together

jamie gsi16v
25-08-05, 12:19 AM
but thats about all it it, remember its the same as any other engine, if you get a dizzy car one its extremely easy!

Ste_Nova
25-08-05, 08:55 AM
looks like this in the book...
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/Ste_Nova/c16se.jpg

like this in real life
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/Ste_Nova/Novaworkshop/c16seloom.jpg

Jos
25-08-05, 10:03 AM
:o

I think I will avoid pulling apart a loom if I can help it :?

What performance figures does the 1.4SRi from the Corsa have?

The Nova SRi has about 82bhp I believe, with a cat. (any ideas what bhp it will be running without a cat?)
Will the Corsa version be identical?

Aragorn
25-08-05, 10:11 AM
iirc the book on the c14se in an astra is 85bhp which seems weird as the nova is 82

cat might gain u a few ponys but nothing spectacular

the corsa engine is the same engine and would be much easier to wire in

if u were going to use a nova loom i'd suggest stripping the entire wiring loom out of the donor car and fitting it complete, it took me ages to strip all the insulation off a 1.2spi loom (same idea as the sri one) and remove all the spi wiring and add my 16v stuff, prolly 4-5 hours or summat all in, including rewrapping the loom afterwards and i had a pretty good idea of what i was doing,

if your not good with wiring just swap the whole loom over

Jos
25-08-05, 10:28 AM

Right.... ok I think I will be going with the Corsa SRi engine then.

So, if I were to use the Corsa loom & lump, I would still need to strip out my current loom, and re-fit the Corsa one, right?

Ste_Nova
25-08-05, 11:58 PM
iirc the book on the c14se in an astra is 85bhp which seems weird as the nova is 82

bigger airbox

Ste_Nova
25-08-05, 11:59 PM
So, if I were to use the Corsa loom & lump, I would still need to strip out my current loom, and re-fit the Corsa one, right?

no just patch a few wires in the drivers footwell

switched live
constant live
ground
rev
ecu light

Adam
26-08-05, 12:34 AM
Sorry to barge in.
So the corsa sri loom is self contained?

So all you need to do is wire the engine loom to a few wires on the nova car loom?
The wires that ste lists above?
As its already wires into the engine, it just needs joining to the car?

Where as using a nova sri loom you would have to connect every wire to the nova car loom?

Or am i confused, again? :lol:

leemh1234
26-08-05, 01:51 AM
who keeps the crappy cat anyway.use the sr head with webber 32/34 then it gets round the wiring problem 8)

Ste_Nova
26-08-05, 08:13 AM
Where as using a nova sri loom you would have to connect every wire to the nova car loom?

still the same wires.... but to get it out if the sri it comes out like in the pic above... you have to cut it to untangle it from the car loom, then you have to reassemble it and put it into the nova, even for me it was a days work to rebuild it and tape it into the car loom.....

the corsa sri loom is all in one bit with a connector for the ones listed above..... all you need is a hole behind the battery like the 2.0 16v conversion

Adam
26-08-05, 11:57 AM

even for me it was a days work to rebuild it and tape it into the car loom.....

I think people would be better using the corsa sri engine and loom then,lol.

Aragorn
26-08-05, 07:18 PM
who keeps the crappy cat anyway.use the sr head with webber 32/34 then it gets round the wiring problem 8)

yes you do that and watch as your overtaken by a standard sri while us normal people simply fit a decat pipe to the sri engine