PDA

View Full Version : A few Technical questions.

Dod
22-08-05, 07:20 PM
1. Can i fit a Cam myself, i'll be getting someone to screw the whole lot together at the end, ie the cam carrier, head and block, but as for fitting the cam, Should i get a mechanic to do it?

2. I've got a Brand new 1400 GM clutch for my Nova, but now i got a GTE Gear box, will it fit or will i need a 1600 clutch?

3. When having my head ported, do i need to get the inlet manifold ported, or can someone explain the porting process to me, is it just in creacing the hole that meets the inlet of is it the widening of the complete port, from the inside out?

3. Can any engineering firm shorten 1600 Valves to suit a 1300 head?

On a weeks holidays and wanna get things started on the car. Rebuilding the front end tomorrow, well body work anyway.

Aragorn
23-08-05, 12:38 AM
1. umm yes its 2 cap head bolts that hold it in, and why the hell cant u bolt up 10 headbolts yourself?

2. 1400 clutch is fine

3. proper porting should aim to make the port smoother and larger, then the manifold should also be ported out so that its an exact match

4. fitting 1600 valves is more than just shortening them, u need 1600 sized seats cut into the 1300 head which isnt cheap

Stuart
23-08-05, 08:04 AM
point 4 will cost a lot in all fairness (well that is if you get 1.6 head/1.3 stem valves too)

get a torque wrench and stop when it clicks ;) lol

Dod
23-08-05, 09:52 PM
get a torque wrench and stop when it clicks ;) lol

TBH, i wouldn't be confident enough to put it all together, would sooner see someone do it that knows what they're at. Thanks for the help though.

General Baxter
23-08-05, 09:57 PM
Lol

oh noooooooo! he playing with his engine again, :wink:

i await the post in a few weeks time, its not working/running right :wink:

Dod
25-08-05, 11:29 AM
Lol

oh noooooooo! he playing with his engine again, :wink:

i await the post in a few weeks time, its not working/running right :wink:

You should go and play with yourself, leave up alone!! :lol:

Anyway, i'm not using the same mechanic so it should be done right this time.

leemh1234
28-08-05, 10:53 PM
follow the haynes manaul sorted 8)