PDA

View Full Version : Bolt on filters

GSI19
22-08-05, 01:26 AM
does a bolt on air filter such as k&n or itg etc. really give a god amount of growl?
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y26/Lauri_123/66-1460-assembly.jpg
want one for my 1.2(carb) but worried it won't make an 'induction kit' roar.
cheers
p.s. which one is the loudest?? :D

Lee
22-08-05, 10:41 AM
unfortunately you wont get an induction 'roar' unless you have a multipoint injection engine.

Jack
22-08-05, 01:34 PM
if you want loud, an exhaust wil be the better option

on a 1.2 you're really not going to get anything near a "growl" lol, the closest you'll get is a slightly increased minimal rasping noise under heavy acceleration!

Adam
22-08-05, 03:19 PM
unfortunately you wont get an induction 'roar' unless you have a multipoint injection engine.
You will get an induction roar on any engine, the cone on my SPI engine is pretty loud.

I would go do as razorjack suggested, get a backbox, on a carb nova even a backbox can sound loud.
And that way you wont have problems with carb freeze during the winter, which would happen with a bolt on filter.

Aragorn
22-08-05, 05:40 PM
about the loudest noise possible from a carb motor is achieveable simply by removing the "handle" section sticking out the front of the fryingpan filter box

snapper
23-08-05, 12:07 AM
about the loudest noise possible from a carb motor is achieveable simply by removing the "handle" section sticking out the front of the fryingpan filter box

This I can confirm is true! Made a fair bit of noise by doing this to a 1.2 carb :)

Besides, I still think my old 1.4SR made more induction noise with a 32/34 Weber and a K&N than my GSi with K&N induction kit.

bump
23-08-05, 06:13 PM
or just drill the hell out of the airbox,

on the dirty side of the filter of course :wink:

Aragorn
23-08-05, 10:35 PM
removing the handle is easier and quicker

mad-driver
23-08-05, 11:35 PM
removing the handle is easier and quicker

lol it fooled me i couldnt get mine off, maybe coz i didnt wanna break it trying though.

On another note buy a weber with ramair they seem to give a healthy growl...unless its just me :D

burgo
23-08-05, 11:45 PM
i was suprised at how loud my mates 1L is since i drilled the air box. sounds like a little valver

Aragorn
24-08-05, 12:08 AM
well the handle is metal so its quite stiff

remove the airbox and use a large screwdriver to pop out the round clips holding it inplace

Cassie-Nova
24-08-05, 12:14 AM
any one got the OFFICIAL web site for Ram-Air filters.... I have looked through about 25 diff web sites on Ram-Air but cant find one with regards to Novas - would like a ram air filter for my weber 32/34! Unless K&N are better than Ramair?