PDA

View Full Version : Wobbling Car

Relskee
21-08-05, 06:39 PM
i have a g reg mark 1 nova star 1.2 i was driving yesterday and all of a suden i noticed that the car was really shaking,as if something under the car is moving about,it seems quite bad the gear stick moves all over the place and the steering wheel wobbles even when i have a firm grip on it.For the past few months i have bin driving around and there has been a hissing noise down in the passenger footwell but when i braked it would stop,since the shaking the hissing has stoped?Could this be linked?Any help would be appreciated.

ToRn
21-08-05, 11:21 PM
as far as im aware the wobbling is probably linked to the wheel balancing as mine is ok until i hit 50 then it wobbles but then when i hit 70 it clears up LOL!

Might want to get that checked out shouldnt cost you more than 10 quid at a decent tyre center! if you can find one near you i suggest visiting Mobile tyres!

If you live in sussex then there is one in brighton.

Jack
21-08-05, 11:36 PM
Have you kerbed any of your wheels lately? That could cause it... Loose gearbox or engine mount perhaps?

Lee
22-08-05, 10:43 AM
wobbles can also be caused by worn suspension or worn bushes.

Stuart
22-08-05, 11:39 AM
does it wobble under braking? if so, its warped discs. and if they are warped enought they can cause non braking wobble

Relskee
22-08-05, 03:15 PM
braking is fine,i have actually bin driving to work and the route has loadsssss of fuck off speed humps or "sleeping policemen" as sum ppl call em so i finking maybe that could have done it,are kwik fit expensive for them to look at it?cheers

ToRn
23-08-05, 11:28 AM
Have never been to a qwick fit as i think comercial garages are a rip off. better finding some place that isnt very big. like a 1 man band operation

sickrabbit
23-08-05, 01:42 PM
Go to a private mechanic mate . Ive used quickfit once and in my experience that was once too many . I,m not dissing them - I,m sure there are many a quickfit , who are ok , but as most people I,ve spoken to verify - they aint up to scratch . I had no sprigots on my alloys and the wheels needed balancing - so I had em done by the quick lot -?20 ....the wheels still didnt feel right , but the car seemed faster....a mate who fits tyres checked my motor over - the balancing was way out , but the psi was way high at 40psi !!

I suppose if you pay peanuts - you get monkeys.....

leemh1234
23-08-05, 08:49 PM
worn suspenion or buckeled front wheels?mine knocks on the gear tunnel but thats the zorst knocking as i got a custom cobra 8)

mikey14sr
23-08-05, 08:53 PM
might be worth checking both the inner and outer track rod joints aswell, I've replaced everything else myself only to find that one of the inner joints is worn, meaning a steering rack re-build.

Aragorn
23-08-05, 10:43 PM
i phoned around a load of garages to get some tyres fitted and kwikfit were the cheapest around - i had quotes upto ?15 per wheel from some of them, and the smaller places i tried didnt have stick on balancing weights

and when i was in kwikfit the bloke ordered me downpipe and cat gaskets for my mates clio and told me to come back in a few hours to collect them, all for free :D

i know that they rip folk off for servicing etc but if u know where its at then you'll get on ok with them