PDA

View Full Version : HELP on Ebay biiding advise

fearless
20-08-05, 06:50 PM
This ebay thing is all new to me

There is one item that i am really interested in buying - It has a buy now option at ?250 which I'm willing to pay

However - same as everyone else - I want a bargin !!!

It coming upto the end of the auction (ends Sunday night) and the reserve wasn't met - so I put a bid in for ?150 which puts me as the highest bidder and the reserve has been met !!!

Now I'm expecting someone to bid at the last minute and win !!

What would you recommend - I understand Ebay bids on your behalf upto your maximum bid - but how quickly does it do this for you ?

Do I bid way over my bid at the last minute (how close to the last minute can I get ??) - or just slightly over ???

Cheers

Dave

dunova
20-08-05, 06:56 PM
If you're willing to pay ?250 for it, i would put in a maximum bid of ?250 in the last dying seconds (when the counter hits about 40-45 seconds is when i put my max. bid in). That way, if you're the highest bidder other peeps don't have the chance to put a bid in and knock up the final price.

But, on the other hand, if someone else has put in a higher maximum bid than ?250, then you won't have any time to put another bid on, so you'll lose it :cry:

What are you bidding on??

fearless
20-08-05, 07:01 PM
Alloys for my project

Does ebay display a countdown counter ?

Dave

Riggy
20-08-05, 07:05 PM
just put you maximum in for it now mate

if you win you will still pay the price that the auction is on e.g ?200

as for ebay bidding up for you its instant so you dont have to worry bout that :lol:

James B
20-08-05, 07:10 PM
yeah as it gets closer to the end of the auction, the time gets more precise, rather than days and hours, goes down to minutes then seconds.

You cant "buy it now" - that option goes once a bid has been placed.

As said above, put your initial bid in, then watch it in My ebay. Then as the clock ticks down, get ready to enter your highest maximum bid. ebay will wid on your behalf instantaniously.

Good luck matey!

James

fearless
21-08-05, 09:45 PM
Thanks for the advise

The seller emailled me with 10 minutes to go - Advertised incorrectly - Turns out they were 15" not 16" as advertised - So didn't make any serious bids !!!!

Managed to find some somewhere else !!!

Cheers

Dave

boredbloke
21-08-05, 10:43 PM
yeah as it gets closer to the end of the auction, the time gets more precise, rather than days and hours, goes down to minutes then seconds.

You cant "buy it now" - that option goes once a bid has been placed.

As said above, put your initial bid in, then watch it in My ebay. Then as the clock ticks down, get ready to enter your highest maximum bid. ebay will wid on your behalf instantaniously.

Good luck matey!

James

thas not true mate...if someone chooses buy it now, regardless of bids they get it, i've done it before when i just can't be bothered to bid.

James B
22-08-05, 08:26 AM
It is true mate.

Taken from the mighty ebay site itself:

Online Auction Format

When you choose the Buy It Now option on auction-style listings, your item has two ways to sell. It starts when you, the seller, names a price at which you are willing to sell your item immediately and skip the auction process.

Buyers have the option to purchase your item instantly without waiting for the auction period to end.

There's no need to choose between the auction option and Buy It Now. You get both. If a buyer is willing to meet your Buy It Now price before the first bid comes in, your item sells instantly and your auction ends. But, if a bid comes in first, the Buy It Now option disappears. (In Reserve Price Auctions, Buy It Now disappears after the first bid that meets the reserve.) Then your auction proceeds normally.

James

dunova
22-08-05, 08:45 AM
It's true (in a way). If it's a no reserve auction then it will dissapear as soon as a bid is placed. However, if there's a reserve, it'll only dissapear once the reserve has been met.

It may say that above, but i couldn't be arsed to read it! Sorry its too early, ZZzzz

Jack
22-08-05, 10:08 AM
Minimum reserve on ebay now is ?50, that sucks major ass

-tucny-
22-08-05, 11:38 AM
i always put my bids in within the last minuite.

i decide how much i want to pay and then stick the maximum bid in at about 30 seconds before the auction finishes.

if you put a bid in well before that and someone else bids then your just pushing the price up for yourself. i win most auctions this way.

sh0rty
23-08-05, 10:02 PM
i dont bid on there often and not for major things, but i dont enter a bid at all until like last 5 mins, because as someone says, it bumps it up. plus if you put your maximum bid in, and also someone else does, the price instantly goes up to the persons highest.

then i watch it as the seconds go down. its good to bid in the last few secs, when someone else is the highest bidder. But be prepared for it not to be enough to win. if you have the highest bid on it, someone else will do the above to you lol and then you have no time to change yours higher because it's over.

uhm i think that makes sense after editing it twice