PDA

View Full Version : More problems :(

lightweight racer
16-08-05, 08:25 PM
Okay so sofar I cannot remove the wheel bolts on the back of the Nova, but it turns out the battery is dead too, or so i think :? . When jump started the car runs fine (its been unused for around 8 months, started first time). The car is then run for around 30mins, battery dial on digidash showing normal volts, the car is then stopped.
However, when the car is so be started again now voltage, digidash goes from very dull to off and the it does not start. Jump leads on again and it runs fine.

The alternator has been changes, and the car runs for about 2mins with it disconnected (with a jump start again) so i figured it can't be the alternator (as it was running for 1/2 hour plus with it on). Don't think its the earth straps as i jump straight onto the battery terminals with the jump start and it starts fine. Is it simply a dead battery? And if so, can it be charged or shall i just bit the bullet and get a new one?

Cheers in advance

Adam
16-08-05, 08:28 PM
Get a new battery.
The digidash shows good as the alternator is working fine, but the battery isnt storing power generated.

dunova
16-08-05, 08:31 PM
So there's so little power that the digi dash is barely lit?? If so then i'd say new battery. But if the dash is lit fine and it dims a lot when you turn the key i'd say bad earth-possibly g/box earth as it carrys the most load.

Adam
16-08-05, 08:34 PM
When my other car was standing for a year, you could jump start it fine, and the alternator was giving 14V.
But as soon as you switched the engine off, there wasn't enough power to light the handbrake light up :wink:

lightweight racer
16-08-05, 08:47 PM
When my other car was standing for a year, you could jump start it fine, and the alternator was giving 14V.
But as soon as you switched the engine off, there wasn't enough power to light the handbrake light up :wink:

That sounds about right! Was that a new battery job and everything was cured?

I just want her running again, miss the old blats in the countryside :D

Dod
16-08-05, 10:32 PM
Aye, that'll sort it.

Adam
17-08-05, 01:05 AM

That sounds about right! Was that a new battery job and everything was cured?

Well, new as in an old battery out my kitchen yeah :wink: :lol:

lightweight racer
22-10-05, 04:48 PM
Sorry to bring up an old post guys!

I bought a new battery (must have been about 2months ago) and everything was initaially running fine. The car then didn't run for a while, so i went to start it today and nothing, the alarm could dis-arm but not enough power to unlock the doors!

So i jump started it and let it run until it was hot (middle bars on digidash) and then went to start it again, the digidash just dimmed and nothing.

Is there something wrong with alternator/starter/starter circuit? And the reason for the slow discharging of my battery, any ideas? The car has a clifford alarm, so that shouldn't be the cause....should it??

Cheers in advance, i'd like to get this sorted!!

Lee

F188CHG
25-10-05, 11:00 AM
Something silly draining the battery earth,alarm my battery goes flat because of the alarm led if i leave it to long :?

Aragorn
25-10-05, 11:23 AM
assuming its a NEW battery then you might just find that alternator isnt producing enough current at idle to charge it

earlier novas had smaller bottom pulleys which meant the alternator didnt really spin fast enough at idle to do very much, changing to the larger pulley would sort this, but so would just taking it out for a drive

i'd recommend removing the battery from the car and giving it a good overnight charge and going from there

Austin_Nova16
25-10-05, 12:47 PM
The alarm has blatently rinsed the battery of its power.