PDA

View Full Version : Battery charging problem

BigRuss
16-08-05, 06:42 PM
Guys,

I need some advice!!

I have the Gsi 6 dial cluster in my car, the ameter gauge shows 1/4 when I turn the ignition on. But now when I start the engine it doesn't go up at all when the engine is revving!!

I've changed the battery and the alternator but still the same, I've checked all the earths and they seem ok as well...........

Any suggestions????

Russell

Riggy
16-08-05, 06:52 PM
have you put a multi meter across the battery when its runing and not runing russ , could just be a dodgy dial

Ste_Nova
16-08-05, 07:37 PM
is the battery bulb working?

BigRuss
16-08-05, 10:43 PM
Right,

I've metered the battery and it's 12.9 volts with ignition off and with engine running, so no charge going to it at all!!

Battery light on dash isn't working either even though I've changed the alternator :!:

Now at Abingdon when the fault first occured My servicw crew (You know who you are :wink: ) noticed that when they put a wire from the alternator to the engine the ammeter rose even though the earth strap along the belt tensioner bracket is there.

I did that again tonight and the ammeter rose, i metered the battery and had 13.8volts. I'll hard wire it in the morning as it looks as though the oe earth strap from alternator to engine is fcuked!!!

Still think there's something wrong though :?

Ste_Nova, do you think the bulb could be bust then? Would that cause this problem????

Dar
16-08-05, 10:58 PM
Russ the battery light bulb when blown will break the charging circuit but I don't know about in Novas. Defo worth checking though.

Aragorn
17-08-05, 12:35 AM
my bro's gsi dials dont seem to have a charging light?

the mk2 charging light went where the volt meter now is?

Will F
17-08-05, 09:14 AM
Drive it to Newport and get me old man to sort you out! :D

BigRuss
17-08-05, 09:17 AM
Will F Posted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 9:14 am Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Drive it to Newport and get me old man to sort you out!

:lol: But what about the car :lol:

Ste_Nova
17-08-05, 05:54 PM
Battery light on dash isn't working either even though I've changed the alternator :!:

no bulb working = no charging

Will F
18-08-05, 09:24 AM
Oh yeah, he may do that too, if you ask him nicely! lol

Aragorn
18-08-05, 01:32 PM
so can anyone confirm 6 dial GSI clocks should have a battery light?

i dont really wanna have to go out in the rain and pull the clocks off my bro's car to find out that its not his alternator thats gubbed :oops:

Adam
18-08-05, 04:01 PM

i dont really wanna have to go out in the rain and pull the clocks off my bro's car to find out that its not his alternator thats gubbed :oops:
Yes they do :wink:
Well, mine do anyway.
Its the first light to the left of the ECU light IIRC.
With ignition on i get oil pressure,handbrake, brake warning light, ecu, and batt light.
I have the black 6dial gsi clocks.

Ste_Nova
18-08-05, 06:30 PM

yeh they do... it's a sidelight style wedge bulb

Aragorn
18-08-05, 10:49 PM
i just checked my brothers and it doesnt

it has a large resistor soldered onto the board in the bottom left corner and thats all i can see that connects alternator and 12v ign like the original bulb would

Stuart
18-08-05, 10:52 PM
either measure the resistance or post the colour code on it please :D

i dont want a bulb in mysetup lol

Ste_Nova
18-08-05, 11:05 PM
i just checked my brothers and it doesnt

it has a large resistor soldered onto the board in the bottom left corner and thats all i can see that connects alternator and 12v ign like the original bulb would

pics of the back of the clocks please.... and pop off the glass and a photo of it being held up to light

Aragorn
19-08-05, 12:25 AM
ok its gets more interesting

his GSi dash has a "choke" light immediately to the left of the ecu lamp

this choke light comes on with ignition as you'd expect the battery light to, and its the last light to go off on turning the ignition off, ie becuase the alternaotrs still spinning

i checked the traces to this light and its got alternator on one side and 12v on the other just like it should

so it DOES have a "battery" light but for some reason someones put a picture of a yellow choke symbol instead of the red battery symbol

anyway turns out his alternator must be fucked - ive noticed that the turbocharger-like spoolling up noise the car makes seems to be the alternator bearings ;)

Ste_Nova
19-08-05, 08:37 AM
you have got an late sr/sri "glass" on gsi clocks then

Aragorn
19-08-05, 09:31 AM
quite possibly

i fitted SRi speedo and rev counter to it when i got them to get the nicer white ringed dials so perhaps ive accidentally swapped the fronts of the dials over (or maybe the SRi glass was in better nick so i picked that instead) i'll check that out and swap the filters over if thats what ive done

Ste_Nova
19-08-05, 05:45 PM
it is what u done