PDA

View Full Version : Tight as f*** wheel bolts :evil:

lightweight racer
16-08-05, 04:27 PM
Feeling a bit stoopid for asking this question, but does anyone know of a sure fire way of removing tight as feck rear wheel bolts. I have got the locking wheel-nut off, and another one came off with a 1.5ft breaker bar (3/8" drive) which subsequently broke attempting to remove the other two (breaker bar breaks-ironic?). I've sprayed them with WD and tried heating them with a blow torch, but not much good.

Also the car is SORN so i cannot take it to a garage.
Oh and i've bent 2 standard vaux wheel braces trying this, with a scaffold pole over one end. I have a 4 point wheelbrace too, but even with 2 peeps on it it will not budge.

Cheers guys

Aragorn
16-08-05, 05:03 PM
how about a nice strong 1/2" 2' breaker bar instead of the silly 3/8" one

and if thats not enough stick your 3foot scaffy bar on the end of that

Stuart
16-08-05, 05:21 PM
before adding mr scaffold bar to the equation get an impact socket of the approriate size then use silly force ;)

Snowface
16-08-05, 05:33 PM
give them each 1 sharp tap with a hammer. May help

General Baxter
16-08-05, 05:50 PM
this might sound stupid, but are you going the right way :wink: :lol:

lightweight racer
16-08-05, 08:17 PM
Lol @General Baxter
Yes defo going the right way! Will have to go and get a 1/2" drive tomorrow, more bloddy expense! I've soaked them overnight in dub-D 40 so hopefully this will help.

Any other suggestions??

Cheers sofar tho guys

Adam
16-08-05, 08:31 PM
Find a 6ft long pole.
And put that over the handle of a socket wrench.
Thats how i undid the driveshaft hut nut, and thats tighter than wheelnuts.

lightweight racer
16-08-05, 08:48 PM
Find a 6ft long pole.
And put that over the handle of a socket wrench.
Thats how i undid the driveshaft hut nut, and thats tighter than wheelnuts.

Lol, i'll try that then! Cheers!!

Ste_Nova
16-08-05, 09:00 PM
1" drive breaker bar... 1" to 1/2 adaptor... welded to a 17mm 6 sided impact socket....

or air gun

Dan
16-08-05, 09:19 PM
another odd method to have worked in the past is just to try and tighten them a smidge more, then undo them, if they are that tight then nowt to loose

lightweight racer
19-08-05, 12:39 PM
Cheers for all the advice guys, I bottled it in the end and got a mobie tyre fitter to come out who had a pematiic impact wrech (he struggled with that too, ended up using a 3ftbreaker bar with 1/2" drive and me sat on the brakes with the handbrake on! They were FT!)

Anway if anyone in the Kent area needs tyres changing Fleet Tyres come highly recomended :lol: . I will definatly be using them again.

Now all i gotta do is get the speedlines repainted so the tyres stop going down (turns out the slow puncture is from the corrosion and paint flaking off around the rim)

Once again cheers for all your help and advice

Lee

Lee
20-08-05, 05:44 PM
smidge a bit of copper grease on the thread when you put em back on.