PDA

View Full Version : Catalytic Converters

Jack
15-08-05, 07:37 PM
I've just picked up this from another forum, CCUK. It was posted by an MOT Tester, and proves interesting reading:

I've double checked today. Having no CAT on your car is not a reason for MOT failure. If the car passes the CAT test even without a CAT it cannot fail the MOT. The tester must carry out the relevant emissions test according to age of vehicle. So if you car was registered 1993 or after it will be given a CAT test. If it passes this test CAT or no CAT it passes. An MOT tester cannot fail a car purely because the CAT has been removed. He can fail the car if it doesn't meet the emmisions standard or if the exhaust system is insecure or has a major leak. Certain cars registered after 1993 are exempt from CAT tests but I'm pretty sure there are no Celica's amoung these exemptions. If a tester fails your car because the CAT is missing but it has passed the emmisions test and the exhaust system is OK he is breaking the test regs.

Now whether your Celica will pass the CAT test without a CAT is another matter entirely, I'd say in most cases it would fail. A tester can carry out the CAT test as many times as he feels necessary. Say for example the car fails the first CAT test. The tester is allowed to road test the vehicle and test again. He may think the CAT wasn't lit (not hot enough) or the engine needs a little clear out. However he is unlikely to do this if he has noticed the CAT is missing and fail the car on the first attempt. (original thread on the CCUK here (http://www.celica-club.co.uk/cgibin/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=31858&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0))

Basically, what he's saying is:

If your car is K-plate or later it will be tested for emissions as if it had a CAT. If its J-plate or earlier, then it will be tested on the non-CAT test. If it passes, it passes, if it fails, it fails. NOT having a CAT on a CAT-Tested car (K> plate) is no reason to fail the test. So, in the unlikely event that your K-plate de-catted Nova passes its emissions, there is no reason why it shouldn't pass the MOT (thats if everything else is in order of course). However, the MOT guy should alert you to the fact your car has no CAT, and as such may fail a roadside emissions test.

There are exceptions - having an older engine etc - but thats beyond the point I'm making here.

Just thought this would prove handy for anyone still confused onthe CAT issue (as it usually crops up in here every few months lol)... word from an official MOT tester, from the horses mouth and by the book so to speak.

Ste L
15-08-05, 07:55 PM
cheers for that bit of knowlege