PDA

View Full Version : gear lever

sickrabbit
12-08-05, 03:27 PM
help !! if anyone out there has the rubber washer that fits onto the gear lever thats located half way down the gearstick please give us a shout - mines gone baggy doesnt sit its housing right and therefore stops the gearlever poping back up when coming out of reverse...or any mod advise appreciated . I,ve removed it , cleaned and regreased it then re-fitted it but it still isnt happy....
cheers :oops:

Purplehayz_868
12-08-05, 03:45 PM
take a pic and post it to me and ill c if i have one for ya

sickrabbit
12-08-05, 04:47 PM
Mate , many thanks , I may well have to post you a pic , but I,m hoping ( after a few phonecalls ) that my vauxhall dealership will have one by the morning. I,ll let you know of the results.....This was a very costly predicament - 60p !!

Dod
12-08-05, 10:17 PM
Screw out the thing that holds the Gearlever in place and remove the lot. You'll see that you have to push the lever down and twist it to lock it in place to stop it popping back up. Note, it has to be done when its all assembled in the cra, a bit awkward though. There's a good possibility that you've broken it so get one out of a Nova as anything else wont work. Its tedious but relatively straight forward.

sickrabbit
13-08-05, 10:16 AM
no problems assembling ect , if you look where a ball type joint joins the major gear cradle( not at the base ) , that ball has a rubber damping washer - thats my problem . The washer has reacted badly to the grease I,d smeared it with ( reverse shifting wasnt easy - to push the gear stick down was hard - thus needed lubing ) and had gone all baggy. Shifting in all gears is,nt a problem , but reverse is - its now even harder to push the stick down and after the reverse is taken out of gear it doesnt pop up and relocate . I called the vauxhall dealership who I,ve ordered the part from and this morning they now have had to order them in from Europe and I,ll have to by a bag of 10 rather than the odd one !! Its bloody daft to think a rubber washer roughly the size of a ?2 coin could have such a mechanical affect and be so important to a vechiles performance. If I remove the thing all together , the shifter will work but be as wobbly as rab c nesbit and just as annoying ...looks like I,ve gotta wait for the post from europe .. :evil:

sickrabbit
13-08-05, 01:57 PM
I,ve now removed the gear shift and pulled the spring off , and carefully removed the washer from the gear stick ball location . After removing all traces of grease I let the rubber washer soak in cold water to hopefully retract into a more normal shape . After 10 mins I then slid the washer up the gearstick till it popped back into its housing , it still was a bit proud so I trimmed the excess off with a craft knife . After reassembling and pushing it home then re-connecting the ball ( fiddely beggar ) it works fine - the moral of this story - only use silicone grease in contact with the gubbins of the gearstick , ball and any rubber washers !!! All this trouble for a small damping washer .