PDA

View Full Version : anybody done bike carbs (yamaha r1) on an xe?

jamie gsi16v
11-08-05, 11:28 PM
there is a bloke in my area just done it but on a pug 106 ralley and it has given him massive increase on performance, it revs to nearly 10k (i no this is not a good thing) but it does sound awsome as it revs up and down extremely quick, just like a bike! after having them setup he has proven a 31bhp increase readout over standard which i found immense. unfortunatly the rest of his engine is standard (as far as i no) so i carnt see it lasting very long? he has used the yamaha r1 bike carbs with a custom alloy inlet manifold etc,

what my question is, is has anybody actually done this to an xe in a nova? i am in the process of building my engine up and would definatly be interested in doing this mod but first if anybody has any advise or info it would be much appreciated. :D

cheers jamie,

bump
12-08-05, 12:06 AM
alright mate my advice would be to speek to rhencullen up in hinckley. you can find them on 01455 890345, they do some serious bike tuning. they should be able to help shed some light.

Dpnova
12-08-05, 08:36 AM
it has been done, theres a guy on mig that has done it

Stuart
12-08-05, 08:51 AM
and unless its massively cheaper than about ?700 then its more worthwhile to fit T45's to the xe surely........ plus a lot less hassle

benji
12-08-05, 08:54 AM
stu, bike carbs can be had off ebay for less than ?100. and a manifold can be made for nothing if you know the right people, you'll probably need a bit of samco hose but ifyou can find it cheap from somwhere your laughing

Dpnova
12-08-05, 08:56 AM
what sort of managment would you need, could you run normal throttle boddie managment on them

Stuart
12-08-05, 08:57 AM
didnt realise they were that cheap.....

can you get them jetted enough to run an XE properly then? since an XE is generally double the capacity of a bike lol

might see about some for the 16V project ill plan for next year..

Dpnova
12-08-05, 09:00 AM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/YAMAHA-02-R1-THROTTLE-BODY-FUEL-INJECTION_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ35597QQitemZ4 567385930QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWD2V

an example

benji
12-08-05, 09:02 AM
they are throttle bodie, not carbs. if you use injection you will have to find a way of sorting out the fueling and thats what bumps the price up

Dpnova
12-08-05, 09:05 AM
soory, im not sure which big bike uses carbs

benji
12-08-05, 09:18 AM
usally the older ones

jamie gsi16v
12-08-05, 03:50 PM
sumbody told me that the lad from my area just unplugged his ecu when he did the conversion, and is there such thing as yamaha r1 carbs? because hes definatly using r1 tb's/carbs and no management?

Dpnova
12-08-05, 03:57 PM
i think r1s user tb's so surly you would need managment

S_Gault
12-08-05, 06:20 PM
ive done it on single seaters a few years ago when the only ones about where the slide throttles from Swindon and cost an arm and leg and had a problem with idle sticking.

I use th eones from the Kawasaki engien range as the have a nice flange thats easy to make a manifold for.

but in reality you can do it too from a crapy set of carbs, which i found a little more straigtforward

Steven

Philsutton
13-08-05, 02:38 PM
pop down jamie, we are thinking of doing the same and think we should be able to do it. Its mainly the manifold which will need to be made up from scratch.

Lee
13-08-05, 06:44 PM
surely theres no way youve got a standard engine to rev to 10K?????? Youd get valve bounce at around 8.5 wihout upgraded valve springs, and thats if you managed to stop the crank and pistons parting company via a big end detonation!!!

jamie gsi16v
14-08-05, 11:24 AM
surely theres no way youve got a standard engine to rev to 10K?????? Youd get valve bounce at around 8.5 wihout upgraded valve springs, and thats if you managed to stop the crank and pistons parting company via a big end detonation!!! this is frech shit remember that ive seen it done too?

pop down jamie, we are thinking of doing the same and think we should be able to do it. Its mainly the manifold which will need to be made up from scratch. when you next at work phil il come down.

Philsutton
14-08-05, 12:36 PM
pop down next week some time, plus i dont think the frog car was revving to 10k, ad if it was it wont be for long.

jamie gsi16v
14-08-05, 12:58 PM
my original post hes got one of them jap tachos on it and believe me it reached 10k, not healthy but it did, he does drive sensibly and has had a limiter fitted at 7,800 now but i still dont think it will last, and why a 1300, i bought his xe nova off him which needed reshelling, not exactly a hard job! il show him bike carbs!!!!! :lol:

Stuart
14-08-05, 09:17 PM
10K on a down shift while at 7200 more like

jamie gsi16v
14-08-05, 10:51 PM
:roll: :?

Chris
16-08-05, 12:05 AM
I have been in a S1 106 Rallye with a standard bottom end and minor top end work which was fitted with R1 carbs. The limiter was setup at 9,800rpm, it had been like this for 2 seasons as a rally car with no breakdowns. I have a mate who has R1 carbs fitted to his astra GTE 16v, very impressive gains for the money. I can get manifolds made up for the XE too.

The is a place near me who do the conversions. With respect to management, they only need management to control the ignition, unless your car has a conventional dizzy / coil. The carbs you want are from 2000 only bikes, after this they went onto TB's. Another one of my mates had a set on his GSi Astra for just over ?300 including setting up. Good gains for the money, but they are limited on how much gain you will get on an XE as they are running on their limit with mild mods, no chance of 200hp N/A I would imagine.

Chris

jamie gsi16v
16-08-05, 09:22 AM
cheers chris, who are the peeps who are near you that do em? iv heard that sum blokes called the bog bros do the whole thing and set them up cheap? what would you say there like compared to 45's? and can i run nitrous through bike carbs? what gains did your mate get in his astra 16v?

cheers jamie