PDA

View Full Version : Torque steer

5T1G
08-08-05, 03:48 PM
Is there away round it?

I took the ol GTE into Kwick fit to get it checked out. Never been welded it's really clean no photos sadly you'll just have to take my word. Just needs new fuel lines. The tracking was a tad out (28mm!!!) and this has since resolved the offset steering wheel prob LOL

But it still pulls from side to side when the power comes in (which is much smoother now new plugs leedsect) kwick fit chappy said that this was called torque steer and you can't do much about it.

His view on the car was that it's been uprated!!

Nearly had her off the clock this weekend

taxitucker1
08-08-05, 04:29 PM
it happens when you acclertate (spelling) take your hands off the wheel and floor it my dose it most cars do do it not much you can do even expensive cars do it

mad-driver
08-08-05, 07:55 PM
most cars do it and it depends on a few things: power, tyres, sus. My car does it because its running more power through the front wheels than standard, it has shit tyres and wobbly suspension

Snowface
09-08-05, 12:25 AM
a limited slip diff will sort out a lot of the torque steer. There are a few different types for different applications. I'm not cued up on them so best see what others have to say.

Stuart
09-08-05, 09:09 AM
torque steer ariuses from different lenght drive shafts (like most novas have), where the torque from the diff will twist the shaft before transmitting power to the wheels, and obv with a longer shaft the twist effect will be increased, therefore more torque loss over the lenght of it.
SO "MOST" novas TS to the left due to the short shaft being that side.

best way to combat is an equal length DS conversion, OR a Diff, personally id recomend a Plate type having driven both of the readily available ones the plate by far out performs the ATB type (which dosent really reduce TS much)

SKoob
11-08-05, 09:14 AM
Could always be worn bushes or top mounts, my first nova had that problem, got the top mounts changed and it was fine from then on.

Aragorn
11-08-05, 01:05 PM
also remember that most roads are cambered to the left naturally so letting go of the steering wheel and pressing the loud pedal will make the car goto the left because of that too

if its pulling to DIFFERENT sides its prolly top mounts or bushes or track rod ends or similar

Stuart
11-08-05, 01:08 PM
indeed, if it only tends to pull under accerleration then tis TS, otehrwise its just ghey sus geometry

Austin_Nova16
11-08-05, 02:41 PM
I would have to agree with SKoob. Cheack or replace all bushes and joints.