PDA

View Full Version : project quit

Gingersnaps
06-08-05, 03:58 PM
Well to day paople i finally lost the will to finish my project nova after yet another fire. a few month back i had a fire caused to faulty wiring running to my interior light and today i had a fire with faulty wiring to my cd player.
non of the wiring was done by me so i hold no responsibility to it.

so the new plan is to find another nova and swap all the parts ive added to my nova onto that one making a better car. this time i want use any really cheap bits to build it tho. i may change my mind and get my car rewired (any clue on a aprox price??) but i highly doubt it

steve

Riggy
06-08-05, 04:01 PM
if the shell is decent on yours just get a new loom for it you could have it done in a day

prob looking at about ?25 from a scrappers

what model nova is it as i have a spare 1.0 loom lol :lol:

Gingersnaps
06-08-05, 04:11 PM
its a 1.2spi and unless me and karl (novaco) can do some handy wiring i think the project is off the shell is a good shell with almost no rot

im not exactly a wiring genius so id have to pay to get it done and wires replace so im guessing it will be exspensive to get done properly

Riggy
06-08-05, 04:22 PM
lol no seriously just go to the scrapers and find a 1.2spi nova

start in the engine bay and unclip all the plugs and follow the loom back through the bulkhead into the car ,

now remove dashboard etc and unplug all wires from connections and unclip loom from it holders ,

next job it to pull wire down drivers a post for the interior light , then up with the carpet and follow loom back through car not forgeting the hand brake warning light switch and the fuel sender

the working in the back of the car unplug the tailgate accesorys eg - wiper motor washer jet and feed through back into car , if your car has a boot light and switch undo the tailgate lifter and remove wires and pull down through c post

then unplug rear lights and feed wire from numberplate light back through and you have a full loom

reffiting is the reverse of removal lol :lol:

Gingersnaps
06-08-05, 04:37 PM
sounds complicated lol its only the interior light and the cd player wires that are dodgy car runs great i could always just totally strip it ans make it a stripped out racer lol

Riggy
06-08-05, 04:41 PM
what is dogy with them then

lol it doesnt sound like a lot to make me want to quit my project lol

my sr has had 3 engines in less then 18 month lol but im still ploding on :lol:

Gingersnaps
06-08-05, 04:44 PM
wires have melted
lol im thinking of stripping the full car leaving dash and front seats in getting full thing painted and getting a set of harnesses (anyone make large harnesses as im of a rather rounded 'n' large profile) lol and maybe a nice redtop lol maybe i should fone my local auto sparky and get a quote lol

Riggy
06-08-05, 04:56 PM
lol do you know why the wires have melted at all - maybe wrong fuses in the fuse box , or a broken wire somewhere grounding out

i would just trace the wires back to where they are ok and cut the off and rejoin a new peice of my own wire to it - make sure to seal with shrink wrap aswell

mikey14sr
06-08-05, 07:32 PM
If it's only a couple of circuits then a good auto-sparky shouldn't charge too much for replacing the knackered wire, who did the wiring previously?

Stuart
06-08-05, 08:12 PM
its cost me about ?80 to get all the bits to make a new loom from scratch..... plus obviously the time needed etc......

id say about ?200 for the loom to be made by someone. ps im nto voulenteering lol

Alex
06-08-05, 08:53 PM
I just dont get the whole "loom" hype. Wire is wire. It costs ?6 from halfrauds for a reel of about 10 metres. Combine that with a soldering iron and some wire cutters and you can make "looms" until the cows come home (which is about 7.30pm)

Stuart
06-08-05, 08:55 PM
you shouldnt solder car looms :p lol

Lee
06-08-05, 10:56 PM
you also shouldnt use chokky blocks, and use speaker cable to power the fuel pump. This is what I found with mine when i bought it. Two under dash fires it caused!!

Seriously mate, get a loom from a scrappers as mentioned, its not as hard as it sounds.

nova---chris
06-08-05, 11:42 PM
lmao shouldnt use solder.
Watch out for mine burning then!

Bad news tho mate. but a new loom isnt to hard!

ANDYRACER
07-08-05, 01:55 AM
Dont give the project up. I gave up my sr project and have regretted it ever since u will be the same way.

Stuart
07-08-05, 09:13 AM
lol chris, your ecu loom will be fine, its not vibrated ;)