PDA

View Full Version : Engine Removal

Bryant
03-08-05, 07:59 PM
Hi, could anyone give me a site or a step by step guide on removing a 1.0 Nova Engine and Gearbox completly from the car as fitting another 1.0 Engine and Gearbox, i know it sounds stupid but was cheap with alot less miles on it.

If anyone can help then i'll be grateful
Thanks
Bryant

dooooney
03-08-05, 08:45 PM
ask ADE he just took his out and made a guide to it i think its in general chat so just go look a week or so back and you will find it

Adam
03-08-05, 08:45 PM
Haynes manual has a detailed step by step guide.

Bryant
03-08-05, 09:35 PM
ADE's engine is a 1.4 so its alot different than mine, i looked in the Haynes manual but its seems abit complicated on a few of the points

How to get the engine out without a crane
Use a new gasket when refitting the oil filter housing
Refit and adjust? accelerator and choke cables

and theres not enough pics to show you where these parts would be as the 1.0 Engine looks different than mine

Stuart
03-08-05, 09:40 PM
the haynes manual does look a tad vauge in places but once you look at the thing your doing, the text makes sense.

adjusting the clutch and throttle cable is easy and well documented in there.

the engine is held in with 3 bolts. simple

and your best bet, if youve not got a crane, is to hire one!! the cast iron engine of the 1.0 is fcking heavy.

Bryant
03-08-05, 09:44 PM
is there anyway of doing it like ADE and going under the car without damaging anything and just let it down slowly with a car jack

General Baxter
03-08-05, 09:57 PM
remove all pipes and wires, (and manifold)
jack up, remove drive'shats'
place chains from crane onto engine,
remove mounts
pull engine out, tilt engine 40 degress (gearbox down to the floor) lift the lot out in one,

done

1 hours work! :wink: (if bolts are free) yeah right.......

Riggy
03-08-05, 10:39 PM
lol drive over to me and ill do it lol :lol:

Bryant
03-08-05, 11:07 PM
i dont have a crane, thats the main problem i have, would a jack do as i have two

Riggy
03-08-05, 11:15 PM
i have done it with just a trolly jack and a spare tyre before :lol:

although that was the main reason for getting one of these :lol:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v13/riggy4/Image045.jpg

Bryant
03-08-05, 11:21 PM
cool, looks really expensive and nice car, looks good, so how would i go about it, it says i have to have it on the winch then undo the transmission, which is gonna be hard cause i dont have one, thats really the only problem i'll have doing it except i'll be on my own and on my grass drive

Bryant
03-08-05, 11:25 PM
i dont wanna damage anything getting it out, plus its probably gonna be harder getting the engine in, is there a jack point at the front of the car so i can slide the engine out underneath

Riggy
03-08-05, 11:33 PM
rough arse guide to when i did it without crane

jack car up quite high and suport on axel stands/ old spare tyres lol

remove wheels

remove driveshafts

undo tie bars

undo suspension from one side and remove hub and tie bar assembly

undo all coolent pipes and drain fluid

drain oil

undo all electrical conections - starter & alternator , coil,oil pressure sender,horn,

undo speedo cable

undo throttle cable

undo clutch cable

now get trolly jack with a wheel upsidedown on top of it so sump will sit inside wheel ish

jack up till in takes the weight and undo all engine mounts

lower jack down slowly and when engine is on floor drag it out from the end where you have removed hub/shock/tie bar

reffiting was then a bitch because we had to get engine under car then lift up onto jack to be able to jack up and then bolt back in

would strongly recomend to hire a crane , shouldnt be to dear - try hss or someone

Bryant
03-08-05, 11:42 PM
Yeah i looked on HSS the price for the one i'd need is ?130 for one day, do i have to remove my suspension from one side and remove hub and tie bar assembly, how about if i lifted my car high enough, plus i've heard that if you take your suspension off you need to replace something

Stuart
04-08-05, 08:03 AM
?130 feck me!!!!!!!!

look on egay and the local free ads.
im sure you can buy 1/2 ton cranes for about ?100...

Bryant
04-08-05, 11:08 AM
could get one but got nowhere to store it, anyway i'll give it a go when i get the engine, and improvise if i need to, thanks for all your help, and if you can help me more please do post

Thanks
Bryant

Aragorn
04-08-05, 12:09 PM
what exactly is wrong with your existing engine?

cos if the answer is "nothing" why are u even wasting money and time on it

at the very least fit a 1200 OHC motor as atleast then u have a chance of making it better relatively cheaply

Bryant
04-08-05, 12:20 PM
well its making some strange noises inside the engine itself, kinda like a hissing and a clunking, so i think its gonna go anytime and dont really wanna take it to a garage pay them loads of money to change pieces that need changing, could of done but there wasnt one available and i've heard the mounts are different and havent got any tools to do that

mmoorryy2002
06-08-05, 01:01 PM
best bet is to take a load of digital pictures from above and underneath,

its really easy, unclip/ unbolt/ lower engine to floor. then jack front of car upto waist hieght and slide engine out. then slide new one in.

i did this on 1.6 twin 40 in a day, engine out and engine back in......

its simple

General Baxter
06-08-05, 01:22 PM
although that was the main reason for getting one of these :lol:

you puff! :P

if i got it out with out one, im sure you can put it in with out one ;)

Riggy
06-08-05, 04:06 PM
lol baxter i did get it back in with just the trolly jack but its so much easyer with the crane :lol:

Bryant
07-08-05, 05:25 PM
Its done now, thanks for all your help, sounds good aswell, think its a newer engine than mine, looks different but same litre, just get the gearbox and selector lined up

Riggy
07-08-05, 10:54 PM
so how did you do it then , did you get a crane

Bryant
07-08-05, 11:09 PM
nah didnt get a crane, Jacked the car up quite high and then put it on bricks, took both wheels off, with the engine i had in there i disconnected everything and placed 2 jacks (one on the engine and the other on the gearbox), seperated the engine and gearbox, undid the mounts and lowered eachone to the ground, took awhile cause the driveshafts where a bitch to get out, one on the ground i slid them under the front of the car (obviously not by myself)

Right the tricky part was getting the new engine up, i forgot i had anti-roll bars, lol, they just got in the way and i couldnt budge the bolts so couldnt take them off. we slid the engine under the car, wasnt easy cause my driveway isnt level, when it was in position we jacked the gearbox up slightly, then wedged another jack under the engine, took awhile cause had to do it slowley awoiding the antiroll bars and not to damage the engine in anyway

We got the gearbox up enough to attach it to the mount, we then used both jacks to lift the engine to its mount, once there we needed to attach the third supposr which was under the car and hard to see so that took awhile to attach, altogether that took about 10 hours, putting everything back aswell, today we started to fit all the hoses, radiator, fan ETC, then only thing we gotta sort out now is to line up the gearbox with the gearstick.

Think i said everything havent gone into too much detail as would be too much to put on, i enjoyed it as its my first time doing it

Riggy
07-08-05, 11:14 PM
lol sounds very similer to my first one ,

if you do plan on doin any more it may be worth getting some liffting stuff

Philsutton
07-08-05, 11:16 PM
i hear the 1lt's bounce well when you throw them at the floor

Bryant
07-08-05, 11:21 PM
lol, didnt really wanna find out, bloody heavy things, was really demanding, the time flies while its being done.

Yeah probably will get a crane next time, lining the gearbox up is annoying at the moment i have 3 gears,lol, either 1/2/3/4 and reverse i think,lol, i looked at the way Hayned describes it, you have to take of the dash, any simple ways of doing it

Bryant
07-08-05, 11:28 PM
Not sure if you can tell how my drive goes,
http://www.novaload.net/features/viewfeature.php?ref=2540
it strarts to dip down quite abit, and the front will be lowered my neighbour has a spring compressor and will do that for me, he used to be a mechanic so he helped me with the engine, but i'm not gonna do anything like suspension yet, probably mess up my car,lol

Philsutton
07-08-05, 11:40 PM
simlpe way of doing the gear linkage is to get someone in the drivers seat an hold the gear stick in place then tighten the bolt up, takes about 2 mins

Bryant
08-08-05, 09:26 PM
ok thanks, completly done now, engine sounds great, feels quick aswell