PDA

View Full Version : gte bumper on, but want the kit bumper bak on, help needed

doni_nova12
02-08-05, 01:42 AM
hey, i have the magnum kit on, but wen the bilstien kit was on the nova an folk in the bak, it got torn off by a speed bump lol, not funny like.

so the gte bumper is on the bak, but i want the kit bumper bak on, have the bolts but they aint in the bumper

anywayz.... am lookin on a guid to fit it bak on an wat i need

(sorry guys, aint up to scratch with this kinda thing, also thinkin about smoothed boot, so should i do somethin to the bumper ot fit a plate ??

i know u need cataloy,resin an stuff...
cheers

dikharvey
02-08-05, 03:23 AM
I'm sure once someone translates that to English you'll get a reply :wink:

Jack
02-08-05, 08:44 AM
So the bumper fell off when you hit a speed bump? I'm assuming the mounts for the bumper broke, if so can you not just re-mould them with fibreglass resin? Won't be as strong though....

doni_nova12
03-08-05, 01:18 AM
didn't think it was too hard to understand like? post wen u get your green card lol

well with the gte bumper back on a didnt think that the mounts would be off? know wat a mean :lol:

i have the two bolts for the magnum bumper to fire on, but was wondering on how to do it? would i need to put on the resin, mould it to shape, put it on, then take it bak off an fiddle about with it or summit ?

as a said, was kinda looking for a guide on how to do it.(theres a bumper already on, jus need to take tht one off cos it looks daft, car's silver, the gte bumpers black lol)

ade
03-08-05, 10:45 PM
kind of understand what you mean but without pics its difficult to give accurate advice. Prob is theres loads of kits out there of differing qualities.

If its a blank fibreglass shett and youre basically looking at attaching it either on to the original bumper (like a skin) then use sikaflex and descreetly rivet it at the top under the boot hatch - you wont see it.

If you ewant to remove the original bumper and put the new one in its place then you'll need to remove the carriage bar and attach this to the new bumper. This will need more lining up because the carriage bar will already have the bolts in it attaching it to the car. I'd 1st measure for distances (ie from the inside of the bumper to the edge), then measure it with the carriage return laid in it to the edge. You want to be able to bond the carriage return to the inside of the bumper in the same position as the oroginal and then put it on the car. However if the distance fromthe bar to the edge of the bumper is too big, then the sides wont match up. If its too short you'll need to put washers to pad it out...

Once youve lined it up, you'll need to attach the carriage bar and the plastic side lugs to the bumper. The can be done with reson making a cocoon. Be aware that the side lugs need to move to allow you to adjust fitment.

Another option would be to cut the ecisting bumper right down leaving only the section attached to the carriage bar and the bracketsd on the side lugs, then attache the bumper directly to these parts. Depending on the kit, you;d need to support it - especially if its flimsey - you could add a frew more payers of fibreglass along the top and bottom edges to stiffen it, or use expanding foam that can be carved down.

Pics would help though.

Ade

:|