PDA

View Full Version : gte

5T1G
01-08-05, 08:59 AM
Just got my first nova a F reg gte. As i said i've never had one before and not driven one either and would like to know i few things.

Steering wheel is off set by like a 1/16. i.e when driving in a stright line the steering is a 1/16 of a turn to the right.

when the power comes in the car seems to pull to the left then to the right almost snaking, diff?????

And it's not a smooth power through the rev range. It comes on strong at about 2500-4000 then it seems to hold itself back. It's had a big valve head up rated oil pump, thats another thing if the cars just idling the oil gauge stays in the middle but as soon as you start driving the gauge goes right to the max when you change gear or depress the clutch it goes to the 3/4 mark.

I will be restoring this car so anyone with any know who wants to earn a few quid while making a nova nice let me know.

Thanks
Steve

Aragorn
01-08-05, 10:24 AM
oil pressure sounds normal

as for it holding back it could be any number of things, start by giving it a service with new plugs, leads, dissy cap, rotor, fuel filter, air filter, oil change etc and see if it improves

5T1G
01-08-05, 11:17 AM
Will do,

Anything on the steering as it really does feel strange a couple of people i have spoken to have said that early novas do have off-set steering. Is this easily changed.

Do i take of the horn(which don't work!!) covering and undo i a bolt if there is one and move the steering wheel round????

I am a novice at this car thingy but i do have lots of love for it and not worried about getting armed up with a spanner so any help would be good. I'll get some pics up of her later.

Aragorn
01-08-05, 11:23 AM
sounds to me like either bottom ball joints or the track rod ends are fucked

take it into kwikfit for an alignment check and see what the score is

when they sort the tracking they can streighten the steering up and they'll be able to tell u if anythings got play or needs replaced

5T1G
01-08-05, 02:07 PM
Could well be shame your in scotland as i want someone who knowes a thing or two about them to have a drive. Do you know of anyone round my way, Gatwick area, that will have a drive. I'm willing to travel but not that far!!!!

Thnaks for your help i'll be updating this as things get moving although i just had insurance quote ?1900 3rd party

Purplehayz_868
01-08-05, 06:30 PM
well id help you out mate but even im a little way from you, sounds to me like track rod ends aswel, it aint hard to find out, just jack the front of your car up and see if there is any play

nam
02-08-05, 11:35 AM
i might sound silly here but have you checked your tyre pressure? if its not right couldnt this cause the car to pull slightly?

Nam

mikey14sr
02-08-05, 12:16 PM
It would be wise to also check all the front bushes, as they are most likely worn out aswell. If they need replacing, get some poly bushes on there instead of just putting new standard ones on, there not that much more expensive.

5T1G
02-08-05, 01:58 PM
Pics to large to upload any ideas??????

nam
02-08-05, 02:04 PM
Add me to msn mate and i will upload size them down and upload them for you.

Nam_3k@hotmail.com

Nam

5T1G
02-08-05, 04:23 PM
http://www.villagephotos.com/pubbrowse.asp?folder_id=1414109

hope this works

We decided to call her the mule, hopefuly nam should get some better pics up, not bad for ?200 shells pretty good

5T1G
02-08-05, 04:24 PM
bugger thing

if you paste the address in it works

nam
03-08-05, 12:05 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v44/nam04/DSCF00032.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v44/nam04/DSCF00022.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v44/nam04/DSCF00042.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v44/nam04/DSCF00052.jpg

there you go ste :+:

looks good

5T1G
03-08-05, 01:30 PM
On having a closer inspection most of the gaps on the nova are really uneven. For example the left side of the tail gate i can get my finger in quite easily but on the other it's harder, it's visable too.

Not just the boot but the bonnet, where the front wing meets the windscreen on the sameside starts of big then gets really tight (joining together)

I'll try and get a pic up to show.

THANKS TO NAM FOR PUTTING THE PICS UP TOP MAN

any views so far, be nice :wink:

Adam
03-08-05, 03:58 PM
On having a closer inspection most of the gaps on the nova are really uneven. For example the left side of the tail gate i can get my finger in quite easily but on the other it's harder, it's visable too.

Not just the boot but the bonnet, where the front wing meets the windscreen on the sameside starts of big then gets really tight (joining together)

You sure it aint been in a smash and repaired?
If a control arm etc was bent due to a collision, that would cause the steering going to one side.
And all gaps around bonnet,wings etc should be the same, unless you have pattern wings etc, which may not fit perfect.

sUpEr_1200
03-08-05, 05:57 PM
thats what im thinking!

smash and fix, someone has crashed it only slight maybe!

mate of mine crashed his xr2i, all just panel damage, and he hit the kerb and after that when he got it fixed the car allways swayed under hard accelaration and then wud sway the other way after you let of the loud pedal!

something maybe loose aswell, check every part of the suspension/steering setup!!

looks allright otherwise!