PDA

View Full Version : miffed off!

alxlaw
31-07-05, 01:09 PM
spiffing!, :? any way i had my car mot'd in april and only just come to remove the wheels because the mot guys had put them on the wrong way round (ie tread pattern), so i removed the rear ones fine but the front ones really wont budge atall, iv broken 2 ratchets smoothed off 3 wheel brace's and bent 2 steel leaver pipes trying to remove the wheel bolts, my mate says its because they will have used an air gun to put the bolts on with is this true and in wich case what can i do to rectifi the problem????!?!?!? help!?!?!

Aragorn
31-07-05, 01:42 PM
erm buy proper tools?

if u use cheap shite they will break

a proper 2ft breaker bar with 1/2" drive and a deep reach 17mm socket will get them off just fine

i'd recommend investing in a good high quality socket set (prolly cost u 60-100quid) and u should get a good warranty for breakages etc

ive got a halfords pro set and even tho i give it some abuse (ie 3ft scaffolding bar on the end of a 3/8" ratchet) its only ever failed on me once and they swapped it over for a new one FOC as they have lifetime warranty

the only problem i find with the halfords set is that everything upto 20mm is only 3/8's drive so u end up having to use bodges like i mentioned above, ive since baught a 1/2" rail with the 10-19mm sockets on it so i can use my torque bar on them

Stuart
31-07-05, 01:52 PM
get a 17mm impact socket and the halford 24" breaker bar. that will deffo get you undone.

also why the feck did the mot place take the wheels off??

Adam
31-07-05, 03:20 PM
I found that i tightened them more with my arm and a socket, than the garage local to me did with an air gun.
As i undid the wheel after they had done it, and it wasn't very tight at all.
Yet i tighten them up, and struggle undo them again.

Just get a massive bar on the go, i used my mums washing line pole on the end of wrench socket to undo the driveshaft nut :lol: and thats tighter than the torque setting for wheels.

You sure the bolts haven;t rusted in? Has the car being sitting?

alxlaw
31-07-05, 06:30 PM
i used a draper socket set, (corection- dads expencive socket set.......) he dunt know yet.......but they took the wheels off to do the break pads, ill buy an expencive one, that'll do it :lol:

Dod
31-07-05, 08:36 PM
Bacho tools are what i use and i make shit out of them, that said, they are extremely relayable and Guarenteed for life. The Ratchet doubles as a hammer whenever i cant find one. Quality stuff too.

Nick
31-07-05, 09:04 PM
put some effort into it - they can't have done it THAT tight with an air gun

As said, your probably just using bad tools