PDA

View Full Version : * Performance Cam for 1.6 8v, different to 1.3/1.4?

Barn
30-07-05, 08:41 PM
have been told varying stories that piper 285 cam's and kent ast2 cam's will and will not fit a 1.6 8v gte engine.

can someone clear this up and tell me if they will fit and if not which cam do I need to get (of similiar spec)?

been offered a ported head and 'fast road' cam for ?80 but I believe the head and cam came off a 1.3/1.4.

the guy doesnt know what profile the cam is but defo says it aint standard...assuming a fast road cam is usally around 270 degree duration, will this provide enough fuel for twin 40 carbs?

help much appreciated

cheers

Stuart
30-07-05, 09:43 PM
the Kent AST2 sits rather nicely in Dans "non-existent" engine.

Barn
31-07-05, 10:46 AM
ok so it will fit...heard that the pulley has different fitment or something...is this true?

what about the fast road cam mate? will that be good enough to use with twin carbs?

Paul
31-07-05, 10:51 AM
1.2-1.6 all the same, only different pulley is the 1300. IF you are going for big power get the biggest spec cam you can.

Try a Piper 300 likes Jim's or alternatively, Piper 285/Kent AST2 are common for t40s. a 270 is slightly too mild, doesnt squeeze enough power for ther carbs.

Paul

Dan
31-07-05, 10:54 AM
In my quest building my engine years ago i used the kent nvo62 270 degree cam with carbs as i already had it, then i moved upto the piper 285 cam, i finally landed on the ast2 cam after it was recommended by velos and i thought sod it worth a try lol. the vernier i have always used is my original one i had fitted to the engine when it was still a 1.6 8v injection from the days when it was in my orange nova, even tho with the ast2 cam its set at standard position. I've personally never come across any issues at all. only thing i have changed during my time is the dizzy for a 1.4sr item which is part and parcel of forties.

Barn
31-07-05, 10:57 AM
ok cheers...I shall be after an AST2 cam then.

why should you change the dizzy to a 1.4SR one then?

Paul
31-07-05, 10:59 AM
Im pretty sure its becuase the gte/gsi dizzy runs off the injection loom, but as your running carbs you dont need it, and the 1400SR has the strongest ignition setup from carg'd novas...

I have one for sale :P

Snowface
31-07-05, 05:59 PM
1.2-1.6 all the same, only different pulley is the 1300. IF you are going for big power get the biggest spec cam you can.

Paul

yeah, square tooth are the pre-1985 engines i think. (may be a bit later).

Then they went to round tooth.

Though i offered up a 1.2 round tooth pulley to a GTE round tooth pulley and they had slightly different shape teeth, aswell as different part numbers.

Looked on EPC also.