PDA

View Full Version : Best suspension setup

mad-driver
30-07-05, 04:43 PM
Hi guys, need a bit of advice from those of you who have sport sus kits. I want to enhance my SR handling wise, so what is the best kit to go for at around ?200-250

Want to lower around 40mm

Cheers
Sam

one more thing just found these:

Spax VSX kit, sports shocks and 40mm lower (SPX-V7730-40-40)
?263 delievered to my door

What do you think?

Barn
30-07-05, 06:28 PM
i dont know anything about that kit but all I can say is if you want to spend a little extra (personally I would) go for the bilstein sprintline kit (the yellow one) which is around ?300 IIRC.

with that amount of money you are spending you must be sure that you want a decent bit of kit...if you had about ?150 to spend I'd say get a GMax kit or something but because you said ?200-?250 I'd say go that little extra again.

I had a set of bilstein cup shocks on my last nova (allbeit they are the next ones up from that kit) but my car handled like it was on rails and I was mega impressed. Ride quality wasn't the best but hey decent ride quality in a nova aint gunna happen anyway, especially when you got low profile tyres on too, lol

hope this helps

Aragorn
30-07-05, 08:26 PM
my bro has spax rsx and they are far too hard for normal road use

and ive heard similar things with the vsx kit

bilstien sprintline are good but perhaps a little outside your budget at around ?350

General Baxter
30-07-05, 08:44 PM
my bro has spax rsx and they are far too hard for normal road use

as he found out last night by jumping on my car :lol:

mad-driver
31-07-05, 11:34 AM
lol nice comments lads especially you baxter.

Right im still on a quest to find some sus, obviously ride quality doesnt bother me too much, however saying that i dont want my teeth to fall out everytime i go over a stone lol.

Im not after 'The Best', and i know that Bilstein are supposed to be very good but i simply dont have ?350 to throw around. Id like a good setup that handles well but not too expensive

Would you lot recommend getting a kit over just springs? Because i looked into Eibachs coz i know they are good from previous experience

Cheers guys
Sam

Jack
01-08-05, 12:21 PM
On a 40mm drop you could get away with just springs, but if they're the original dampers then they're probably already pretty worn and will affect handling.

Tuning.co.uk supply 40mm lowering springs with uprated bilstein shocks (not the yellow ones though unfortunately) for ?189. You could use the change to buy some poly bushes as well?

Matt2107
01-08-05, 01:02 PM
I've fitted KYB shocks and PI springs (came as a kit) for around ?220 with a 35mm drop.

Cant really comment on the quality as i havnt really driven it yet.

nam
01-08-05, 04:38 PM
sorry sam but i cant really help you here but, may car is lowered 60mm on std shockers and its shite, the ride is just bouce all the time and it bottoms out all the time, i bought some AVO ajustable rear shocks about 6 months ago but didnt fit them as i did have the fronts, now i have around ?100 to spend on a set of fron shocks, what ones do you lot think would be best? i dont really want a solid ride but am not too bothered really.

sorry to steel the post sam lol.

Nam

mad-driver
01-08-05, 08:08 PM
no worries mate, im not the only one who wants new sus thats for sure lol, but i would like to know the best options, i mean if someone has a second hand bilstein kit id buy that.

Also as Jack said i have looked at the kit on tuning.co.uk but im unsure as to whether i should buy it coz the shocks are OE

:?

NickWalliams
01-08-05, 08:51 PM
I bought my bilstein streetline kit from tuning.co.uk ?218 delivered it was the 60mm mega gas kit,

with the 1.6 engine in the car it handled like a rollercoaster it was amazing how well it handled BUT,

The ride quality will be shocking! could be improved with a new set of top mounts I think.

Also no good with a valve engine saving for some Avo coilovers now about ?500

8)

mad-driver
01-08-05, 09:19 PM
Well im sticking with the 1.4, but id like a set of Sprintlines but a bit steep brand new

mad-driver
01-08-05, 09:19 PM
Just come across some Koni red which are not adjustable, but sports shocks n lowered 35mm are these kits any good?

Adam
02-08-05, 12:29 AM
Also as Jack said i have looked at the kit on tuning.co.uk but im unsure as to whether i should buy it coz the shocks are OE

They are slightly uprated from standard.Around 10% IIRC.

nam
02-08-05, 11:27 AM

They are slightly uprated from standard.Around 10% IIRC.

yeah am pritty sure its around 10%. i thought they were very poor for the money though? i think i might just get the AVO adjustable front ones as well. have the same set up front and rear.

nam

EDIT: I've just got back from taking my car for its MOT and the inside of the front tyres are worn, so will putting good shocks on the front sort it or will i have to change the front tyres every month? they were only replaced about 1000 miles ago and the car hasnt been driven hard in that time.