PDA

View Full Version : car wont start (x16xe)

jamie gsi16v
30-07-05, 03:07 PM
right heres a run dow on whats happened.

1. got the bk from the bodyshop and washed it, washing the engine off and cleaning the dash near ecu?????
2. started fine, nuthing suspect, drove to the local town to meet up with sum mates, parked up n turned it off.
3. went to start it and it just kept turning over but wouldnt fire!!
4. checked for a spark, all 4 were there
5. checked for fuel, pump was working and fuel rail had pressure (checked bleed valve)
6. unplugged the ecu and blew it out then plugged back in.
7. checked crank sensor etc...
8. towed it home n left it in a mard! :evil:
9. came to it this morning and it fired straight up, took it for a drive and everything seemed fine?
10. turned it off and then went to re start it but just turned again, after about 10mins tryed again and it started.

now the damn thing just starts when it wants? iv checked the earths etc but nothing unusual to what i can see? i carnt read out the fault codes because i have not got the plug to do so? its annoying because i neva no if its gona start after i turn it off? help!!

Aragorn
30-07-05, 03:24 PM
does the management light flash when cranking?

fearless
30-07-05, 03:25 PM
When you crank it over to start - does it sound like there's no compression - turns over really easily (Sounding like cam belt snapped!)

Dave

Philsutton
30-07-05, 03:26 PM
well not sure what it is but weve had a good look for him, its strange one :D

Aragorn
30-07-05, 03:27 PM
well it seems to be an intermittant fault reading what hes said...

cam belt cant intermittnatly break can it :p

im thinking either crank sensor or immobilser circuit

management light will tell u both

Philsutton
30-07-05, 03:33 PM
im thinking either crank sensor or immobilser circuit

now that you meantion i think he did have problems starting up when it first went in the car due to immobilser.

Aragorn
30-07-05, 03:37 PM
if its the immobiliser the management light will flash while cranking

and if he doesnt have a management light then the first step is to get one

jamie gsi16v
30-07-05, 03:44 PM
i have a management light and it does not flash at all, dont think it has anything to do with the immobaliser i have checked it all over and all connections seem good. it has compression etc because it starts fine and runs fine (when it wants!)

Aragorn
30-07-05, 03:50 PM
does it come on with ignition and OFF when cranking when it doesnt want to start?

jamie gsi16v
30-07-05, 03:55 PM
engine management is on all the time anyway because there is no egr valve plugged in but the immobaliser is ok because it doesnt flash at me plus the fuel pump and injectors still work?

Aragorn
30-07-05, 03:59 PM
well the injectors obviously arent working because u said u had a spark

and if u had a spark and the injectors are injecting fuel it will at the very least pop and bang which its not doing

if the lights staying on then its logged a code, OR its not detecting any cranking - so read the codes out and see what they say

driving round with a fault condition like no EGR valve is plain stupid, plug a valve in and make the ecu happy, makes it much easier to diagnose these problems

if everything was fine and that light was staying on while cranking that would point to a duff crank sensor, as it stands your just plucking strings in the dark

read the codes and see if its logged anything, if your lucky and its a sensor it'll have recorded whats broken

jamie gsi16v
30-07-05, 04:03 PM
nd how am i going to read the codes?

Aragorn
30-07-05, 04:08 PM
well i dont have my corsa manual to hand but theres either a brown white or a brown yellow in the loom (which ever went to pin A on the diag plug) and this needs shorted to ground

once u turn the igntiion on with this shorted to ground the codes will flash out

it would pay to look in the back of a nova or corsa manual and find which wire color goes to pin A on the diag plug but im reasonably sure its brown/white

Aragorn
30-07-05, 04:12 PM
sorry on checking the manual its brown/yellow to ground

fearless
30-07-05, 04:18 PM
it has compression etc because it starts fine and runs fine (when it wants!)

Yeh - but when it doesn't start - does it sound like there no compression ??

We've had loads at work - with the same problem - cranks over but won't start - if you take the plugs out and replace with new - fires up straight away !!!

To cure it - put an extra earth from the throttle body to the battery !!!

Dave

Rob-16v
02-08-05, 10:16 PM
this mite sound stoopid but have u tryed injector relay, if its been stood it mits be playin games.

Will F
03-08-05, 09:25 AM
CTS?? I had trouble with mine and it would actually cut out when hot and not re-start very easily...