PDA

View Full Version : Water Pump Problems..

JamesUK
28-07-05, 09:38 AM
Hello lads, i'm doing a water pump on a 1.2 atm and i've un-done the three bolts but it still won't budge, i've been hitting it with a hammer but still nothing. I just want to know is there a bolt on the back or hidden somewhere before i continue smashing it one!

ttfn! :)

JamesUK
28-07-05, 09:50 AM
Shes off!

JamesUK
28-07-05, 09:59 AM
ok, now theres a new problem.. How do i know where the water pump should go? is there a mark or something it should be lined up with?

mikey14sr
28-07-05, 10:16 AM
the pump pulley is used as an eccentric cam to adjust the timing belt tension, put it in but dont tighten the bolts fully, put your new cam-belt on and turn the pump so that you get the correct tension on the belt. Now you can tighten the three bolts. dont forget to turn the engine over by hand a couple of times and re-check the belt tension, keep adjusting until it remains even, but don't get it too tight as the pressure on the pump bearings will cause a howling noise from the belt and rapidly increased wear on the pump.

JamesUK
28-07-05, 10:30 AM
Right, isn't that the job of the tensioner wheel ? :?:

do i get the tensioner in place with the belt on then adjust the pump?

mikey14sr
28-07-05, 10:41 AM
I didn't think the 1.2 came with the extra tensioning pulley?

Stuart
28-07-05, 10:42 AM
imo bin the tensioner and fit the shorter cam belt, much more reliable

JamesUK
28-07-05, 10:49 AM
ah right, i can't do that then cos i've bought a new kit and it was special order so i can't take it back!

Which bit first then do i tension? On the pump get the belt so it can twist half a turn then align the notches on the tensioner, orr set the tensioner then get final adjustment with the pump?

Someone i know has told me to align the pump to the mark on the cover/block but i can't see anything?!

If i get the belt adjusted on the pump to the twist half a turn method then when i set the automatic tensioner surely this will result in a over-tightened belt?

Snowface
28-07-05, 11:34 AM
haynes manual will tell you all u need to know. I havn't got a clue about auto tensioners i'm afraid.

JamesUK
28-07-05, 11:38 AM
i don't have one - it's not my car! :o :lol:

mikey14sr
28-07-05, 12:44 PM
ther's two holes on the auto-tensioner that you put a pin through to lock it off, do this then set the belt slightly slack with the water pump. remove the pin from the auto-tensioner and it should take up the remaining slack in the belt. There'll be a pointer on the auto-tensioner, it should be either in the middle of the "V" underneath, or just to the left of it.

JamesUK
28-07-05, 05:15 PM
It's running just to the right of it?

But theres still plenty of tension left on the tensioner, i.e. even though it's to the right of it it's not near it's full extent. - If that makes sense.

It's all running now though, i've readjusted the position of the pump and let the tensioner take out the remaining slack & wahay we're up and running.. 8)

Bleeding the system is being a bit of a bitch though, when i squeezed the pipe it kept on stalling, i guess air blockage is interferring with a senser/auto choke or something [1.2 SPI]. But after a while it stopped doing that. However i can't get any heat out the heater, but that may have been like that before, if not it's probably still got air in the system. - What is the correct way to bleed the nova system? - I couldn't see any bleed screws?

Still it's only taken all day, quite frustrating when i had the old belt off within 15 minutes and thought hey, this is gonna be piss easy! :lol:

Aragorn
28-07-05, 05:50 PM
remove the temp sender on the inlet manifold (nipple with spade with blue wire on it) and keep adding water until it starts to come out the hole

Adam
28-07-05, 05:55 PM
I didn't think 1.2SPI engine had a tensioner, i thought just the water pump tensioned the belt :?

Aragorn
28-07-05, 06:38 PM
all 8v engines built after a certain date with square top belt covers have auto tensioners

it was around 91-92 they switched iirc

if its got a square top belt cover u can be about 95% sure its got an auto tensioner (there was a small number of 1400's build afaik with square top covers and no autotensioners as ive got one, its a 1990 engine tho)

Adam
28-07-05, 07:29 PM
all 8v engines built after a certain date with square top belt covers have auto tensioners

it was around 91-92 they switched iirc

if its got a square top belt cover u can be about 95% sure its got an auto tensioner (there was a small number of 1400's build afaik with square top covers and no autotensioners as ive got one, its a 1990 engine tho)
So my 1200 will have one then with it being 1993.
I need do my cambelt and waterpump as well :|
Does it make the job any harder having a tensioner?

mikey14sr
28-07-05, 07:49 PM
easier really, the tension gained from the pump adjustment isnt as critical

Adam
29-07-05, 12:22 AM
I am guessing that the tensioner also needs replacing with the cambelt/waterpump.

mikey14sr
29-07-05, 11:44 AM
it would be a good idea to, I've seen the mess when one lets go on an XE and it ain't pretty!!