PDA

View Full Version : Removing Spare Wheel Well

Paul
27-07-05, 10:23 PM
I am going to be removing my spare wheel well.

Is it literally just a case of angle grind it out, Cut a plate out, weld it underneath and smooth the edges with filler, or is there more too it than that?

Is it a structual part of the car, what mm steel should i use?

Cheers

Paul

ade
27-07-05, 10:36 PM
basically do what youve said - remove wheel well (cut hole), weld plate (decent grade steel the same thickness as the wheel well) over hole and smooth with filler. Weld it fully so its totally sealed.

dunno about thickness of steel - havent dont it meself but seel plenty of pics.

and remamber - once the well's gone if you have a puncture...

Paul
27-07-05, 10:38 PM
well i dont carry a spare wheel anyway, i carry tyre weld, that'll get me home hopefully.

Should i weld it over the hole, or under the hole. If you get what i mean....

From inside the car or underneath.?

Paul

Dod
27-07-05, 11:01 PM
Weld under the car, it'll look better from inside. you'll wast 1mm steel and if possible, try and reinforce it underneith, just for good measure.

Paul
27-07-05, 11:03 PM
not really too fusses about looks, just for a bit of weight loss really, will it be ok to weld in the boot?

Stuart
27-07-05, 11:05 PM
http://photobucket.com/albums/y132/slindborg/?action=view&current=IMG_1376.jpg

you can see that there is no wheel well and its been replaced with an X (with a part forward to the harness mount), it will be coverd with a sheet of clear polycarb since its braced and stronger than it was before.......

your call. id weld from both sides and then jsut grind down the topside filler then paint