PDA

View Full Version : Spray bumpers black??????

Adam
27-07-05, 04:22 PM
As standard they are a grey colour, but mine are a dodgy light grey, where the sun has bleached them.
But i can't decide whether to spray them matt black as i dont want them gloss black, or just polish them with autoglym bumper care stuff.

Any opinions, the car is white btw.
So i was thinking matt black bumpers would look nice against a white car.

:+: :)

Mike.
27-07-05, 06:37 PM
for the 9th million time, paint the bumpers black :lol: :lol:

Adam
27-07-05, 06:43 PM
LOL :lol:
I will, but not sure on colour, black or grey/anthracite.
I dont think i want gloss black, dont like glossy black bumpers.

I think i may go with the volvo dark grey you suggested :wink:

ade
27-07-05, 07:14 PM
if yer gonna paint them pay to get it done properly for the following reasons

1 it'll take you ages to smooth and prep the bumper
2 it'll cost you a bomb in paint cans to spray it (unless you can use/hire a spray gun)
3 you wont be able to do it in matt black because stone ships will ruin it within weeks
4 you need to lacquer paint to protect it from stone chips (unless 2 pak) and if you lacquer matt black it turns to gloss
5 by the time youve spent prob about ?60-?100 in paint, sand paper, filler, degreaser (due no doubt to the amount of "bumper cleaner/shine" that contains silicone in it and has to be removed) per bumper to do the job the fecker will probably crack because of the amount of paint on it!

:lol:

Seriously though - a body shop will charge you about ?100 - ?200 tops and will go a much better job in a fraction of the time.

And I'm speaking from experience.

Ade

ade
27-07-05, 07:15 PM
and go for anthracite

mmmmm anthracite

8)

Mike.
27-07-05, 07:18 PM
LOL :lol:
I will, but not sure on colour, black or grey/anthracite.
I dont think i want gloss black, dont like glossy black bumpers.

I think i may go with the volvo dark grey you suggested :wink:

you can go for volvo dark grey iff you want, but then your car will look even more like mine :wink: :lol:

Jack
27-07-05, 07:50 PM
and go for anthracite

mmmmm anthracite

8)
I think you're loving the anthracite a little tooo much there... :lol:

ade
27-07-05, 10:42 PM
me to anthracite is Homer Simpson to donuts...

8)

Gingersnaps
27-07-05, 10:56 PM
me to anthracite is Homer Simpson to donuts...

8)
a glance into the mind of ade

a scary sounding place if ever there was

Dod
27-07-05, 11:04 PM
Dont spray them, they'll look cheap and taccky. Just get some Siomenzs bumper polish and get to it. They dont really look rigght black anyway mate. Keep them grey.

Adam
28-07-05, 12:42 AM
and go for anthracite

mmmmm anthracite

8)
LOL, you have a thing for anthracite :lol:

Sod that then, i will leave them gray :wink: :lol:
Although i sprayed both front and rear astra bumpers with 2 cans in total, and that lasted months without any stone chips :lol:

Trouble is now i have had to fill a 5mm hole in the fin of one of my skirts where they were removed, so i have 5mm of filler coloured filler :lol: in the skirt
so how am i going to make that grey? :|
I might just buy a can or two of bumper grey to do the skirts in, and then just polish the bumpers.

If i was to pay a bodyshop to do the bumpers, tbh i would probably have them smoothed to get rid of the bobbles, and get them done in white, as that looks good when done professionally.

Adam
28-07-05, 01:09 AM
I have found a colour i think would look good for my bumpers and skirts if i spray them:-

http://www.topbuzz.co.uk/mods/side_skirts/pic3.htm

But what colour is that in Halfords terms? Grey,dark grey, blacky grey, light black :? :lol:

sickrabbit
28-07-05, 08:15 AM
Mate , I agree with the mindful Ade on this one - if theyve gotta be black get someone with the correct gear to do em , OR try this ( worked for me ) scrub your bumpers a couple of times and let em dry right out ...then slap on car plans bumper black ( not a spray tin - mates have been confused ) smear the stuff in generous amounts on the bumper and let it dry , then buff it . After a few days repeat the process. You can use the bumper black on window rubbers , door handles , the lot , and the result is well worth the effort .Obviously you,ll have to slap it on once in a while , but I,ve been doing it for about 3 months or so ( about 5 times ) and found it cheap n cheerful - cost ?5 and took half an hour........BUT be warned if you do not like the result - to get he stuff off prior to painting ( if you do it yourself ) it takes gallons of meths / white spirit or degreaser to clean the bumper off enough to accept any primer / paint , and I would imagine a paint shop would push up his price for any preparation.....

Adam
28-07-05, 04:03 PM
Sod it. :lol:
I have bought 6 cans of 400ML Matt black to do bumpers, gsi skirts, and grabhandle. 8) :P

The bumpers shouldn't have any back to black left on them, as i used half a bottle of meths last night and left it on over night.
Got up this morning, and they are a lovely shade of white grey :) :lol:

So i will just use some white spirit finish the cleaning, and then sand them down. I am only going to key them, not smooth out the bobbles in the bumper.

Like i said i did the bumpers on my astra white, and they came out pretty good tbh.

If the paint looks c**p i will just go the scrappy and get two new bumpers :wink:

Dod
28-07-05, 08:26 PM
As Sick said mate, scrub and polish them like there's no tomorrow. They'll look loads better mate.

r0b
29-07-05, 10:18 AM
paint them black definately :)

ade
30-07-05, 12:54 AM
ooh black (satans wee wee)

I agree with sick rabbit - that black stain stuff is excellent - and it wont stone chip.

I guarantee you that matt back will chip like f00k. I recall seeing a matt blacked Golf in red line a coupl of yrs back and the guy used to spend most of his time touching it up.

Also - consider this. Have you ever rubber matt black paint? Its got a slight rough finish to it - if you rub it it goes shiney (its to do with the particles in the paint and the angle they fall). You try removing bugs and road kill from yer car - then try polish up the buympers - bet they turn satin at least...

:?

As for side skirts - if youve a hole in the skirt - stick some tough plastic from behind using araldite (epoxy resin) and then fill and smooth hole. Then spray whole skirt (and other one) with as close a grey (or black) as you can. Remembering that road debris (especially along the lower part of the skirt) will spash up and if you dont protect it chip the paint...

Its a biatch mate but for the money youve spent on paint + possible cash for new bumpers "when" it goes manky - a body shop would be the better option. And like you say - you can get em smoothed too at the same time.

And as for my Anthracite fettish - 8) if it were beer I'd be in heaven 8)

:lol:

Adam
30-07-05, 01:32 AM
LOL.
Sprayed them today, front and rear bumpers.
Yeah, the matt finish is rough as f**k.
At the minute they look good.
I will report back this time next week to see what they are like. :wink:

Not bad, did them with ?9 worth of spray paint :lol:

If they start going wrong, i think i will look for gsi front/rear bumpers and then get them sprayed and smoothed by a bodyshop in glacier white to match the car.

But they will do for the time being.
Also started the skirts, filled the hole, and primed, sprayed the fins matt black. Moving on to the main part of them tomorrow.
But i dont know whether i will fit them tbh :? Dont think they suit the car, plus i like showing off rust free doors :P :lol: :wink:

I will put some pics up tomorrow of the bumpers.:) :wink:

Adam
30-07-05, 06:00 PM
Heres a few pics, but the cam doesn't show the bumpers up very well, as it was a bit dark when i took them.
Also sprayed the grab handle and boot lock :)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v86/Nova-crew/frontbumpermatt.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v86/Nova-crew/rearbumpermatt.jpg

I have been out in the car today, and no stone chips so far :P :wink: :lol:

Mike.
30-07-05, 07:07 PM
you finally sprayed them then, looks good mate :wink:

Adam
31-07-05, 03:54 PM
Been out with the cam again :lol:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v86/Nova-crew/novaside2.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v86/Nova-crew/sidenova1.jpg

Cav cesaro wheels will arrive next week :)

Dod
31-07-05, 05:24 PM
I love those steels, wish i'd never sold mine!!!

Looks good mate, but how does it work when power washing or cleaning the car? What paint did you use on them? I need to do me door handles and grab handle and you've inspired me now.

Adam
31-07-05, 05:32 PM
I will never use a power washer on any car i own.

I have washed it today, and the paint is still on :wink: :lol:
The finish is a bit scratchy/rough on the bumpers, so sometime in the future i may get some 800 wet and dry, sand the roughness off, and then spray them again.

You can see in the pics that the ground is gravel/sand, i heard quite a few stones hit the bumper, and all the paint is still on, no marks at all.

I used Hycote Matt black, it says its specially formulated for rigid plastics.
I just removed them, sanded them(but i used 400grit paper, so that give me the scratches/roughness in the bumper surface, so should have used 800+ grit), i then cleaned the dust/back to black stuff off with meths.
And then sprayed plastic primer, few coats, then a few coats of black, all done in my backgarden :wink: :lol:

If i do get any stone chips, i will just keep a can of matt black handy, so i can just "top up" the paint on the bumper to get rid of any chips.
But so far, so good, i am pleased with how they came out.

Finally, i hate those steelies tbh,lol.
3 of them need tyres, so for the price of 3 new tyres plus a bit of spare cash i got hold of a mint set of 15" cavalier cesaro wheels.
The wheels will be fitted on Tuesday, more pics then :wink: :lol:

Dod
31-07-05, 08:24 PM
Good job then so. Like i said, it looks well and hopefully stays that way. Still want mine grey. And the steels, if they came wider that what they are, i'd sell me Speedlines for a set!!!-

ade
31-07-05, 11:25 PM
must admin it looks good - not as good as anthracite...mmmmm

anyway - hope it lasts - but check back in a couple of months (especially after its rained - spray will contain salt and sh1te from cars).

Adam
01-08-05, 12:30 AM
must admin it looks good
You know it :wink: :lol:

I was thinking about anthracite, but it would be a bit harder spray than matt black to get the shine right etc.

Only time will tell how long they will last :wink: :lol: