PDA

View Full Version : Oil pressure guage

Adam
27-07-05, 12:14 PM
Right, i have GSI clocks fitted.
And the oil pressure guage just goes all the way off the scale, and stops there, even with the engine turned off.

I know i need a 2pin sender IIRC to get the guage working.
Any one know where i can get one from? What engine?
Well, as they are gsi clocks i would guess nova gsi/gte have the 2pin sender.

Aragorn
27-07-05, 12:25 PM
early 1.3sr's gte/gsi's and 20xe's in astra gte 16v's and possibly later cally/cav turbos with the extra two guages on dash

Snowface
27-07-05, 12:35 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v642/Snowface-85/oilpressure.jpg

?80+vat new from Vaux lol.

Got mine from Ben on here ages ago, only just put it on.

Adam
27-07-05, 03:46 PM
Ok, lol ?80 :lol:

Are they hard to fit? I guess they are screwed into somewhere thats oilly :lol:
so may loose some oil when i unscrew the old one.

Spudly
27-07-05, 04:23 PM
U get to the oil sender behind the drivers front wheel so u need it off and on stands, u can see it jus behind the fan belt, a lil cylinder srewed into the back of the block right nr the side, u simply unscrew this and swap (u need to do this pretty quick so as not to lose too much oil) then simply screw in the 2 pin sender in its place, and you should find the second wire is already there in the loom , it (should) be tied or taped further bk up the wire that was originally plugged into the first sender, plug this into the new sender, find the other end at the clock end an plug that on too and (hopefully) your guage should work!!!

Snowface
28-07-05, 01:11 AM
i had to run a new wire through to the back of the clocks. Thats why put it off for so long.

Adam
28-07-05, 01:22 AM
i had to run a new wire through to the back of the clocks. Thats why put it off for so long.
There is a spare wire behind my clocks, its blue/yellow IIRC with a spade connector on.
I didn't know what it was when i fitted the clocks, so i plugged it onto a space connector on the back of the clocks :lol:
Dont seem to do anything with it connected or disconnected.

Spudly
28-07-05, 05:21 PM
Thats your sender wire mate,if u got the 2pin sender swap em over an find the other end, ie sender end plug it in an youre away!!!!

johnnynova
29-07-05, 12:00 PM
what shoud the guage be reading if all is well in the engine?

when i start its almost all the way at the top, then wen warm will settle at half, just below half. then when you put your foot down it goes up high, not quite the top, but does flick to the top sometimes.

after a longish motorway drive, at idle its around the 1/4 mark then goes up to 3/4, bit further when my foots down and revs are up.

just wandering...

cheers

john

mikey14sr
29-07-05, 12:13 PM
the guage will read high when cold, as the oil is thicker. As the oil warms up it gets thinner(more liquid), so the pressure reading will drop a bit. the pressure will increase with revs, as the pump starts working harder(spinning faster). As long as pressure is showing and the warning light is off then you should be ok, provided the sensor's working properly and the warning bulb isn't blown.

j1400
31-07-05, 03:12 PM
I've found I get a cold idle of 60psi (ish) warm of around 18-20psi and 55-60 revved up on my SPA gauge.

hope that helps

johnnynova
31-07-05, 05:27 PM
i know the theory behind it! thicker oil when cold etc, just wanted to know what readings other nova owners got on the dials, just as a reference.

Adam
31-07-05, 05:39 PM
Yeah, it should go up to near the top of the scale when engine is cold, but about half way when the oil is warm.

Snowface
31-07-05, 06:01 PM
the guage will read high when cold, as the oil is thicker. As the oil warms up it gets thinner(more liquid), so the pressure reading will drop a bit. the pressure will increase with revs, as the pump starts working harder(spinning faster). As long as pressure is showing and the warning light is off then you should be ok, provided the sensor's working properly and the warning bulb isn't blown.

thats what mine does.