PDA

View Full Version : What year did they bring out cat

notenuffhoursintheday
27-07-05, 01:24 AM
hey guys im just wondering if i can decat my K 92 nova as apparently anything b4 93 doesnt need a cat to pass MOT is this true? thnks

chris

Spudly
27-07-05, 02:07 AM
Nah, anything fitted with a cat as standard, which is anything from the last of the J-reg onwards, (early `92) has to have it for the emissions test as part of the MOT, easy answer is get someone to make u a bolt in bolt out section to put yer cat bk in for mot thentake bk out to unleash the restricted ponies!!!! Job done avvit lol!!!!

mikey14sr
27-07-05, 10:25 AM
iirc no nova needs a cat for mot, but it's best to check with your chosen mot station, as if it is on their list as cat-equipped then you will need it.

dunova
27-07-05, 11:19 AM
Nah, anything fitted with a cat as standard, which is anything from the last of the J-reg onwards, (early `92) has to have it for the emissions test as part of the MOT
Correct :wink:

Adam
27-07-05, 11:45 AM
Nah, anything fitted with a cat as standard, which is anything from the last of the J-reg onwards, (early `92) has to have it for the emissions test as part of the MOT
J-reg dont need one, you can remove it and it SHOULD be tested under non cat rules as its before the August 92 deadline when all cars needed a CAT.
K-reg need one to pass the stricter emissions test, you can remove it and it will pass MOT if it passes emissions, but thats highly unlikely without the CAT.

As Mikey said, a lot of MOT testers have said that no nova is listed for the CAT test, so all are done under non cat rules.
Just depends which test station you go to, some will test under cat rules, some probably wont.

Aragorn
27-07-05, 12:09 PM
the new computerised system wont let them get away with wrong testing

after august 1992 the car should be tested for cat if its fitted with an engine that is capable of running a cat, and its the testers job to check this, his computer provides a list of engines and he has to select the one fitted, if the engine fitted isnt listed then the vehicle is tested on a NON-CAT test for vehicles prior to august 1995 and cat test with default limits after aug 1995

so a C20XE nova on a K plate needs no cat for an MOT

http://www.vosa.gov.uk/vosa/publications/mot%20-%20issue%2008%20-%20jul%202000.pdf

have a read, its all in there

dunova
27-07-05, 02:48 PM
J-reg dont need one, you can remove it and it SHOULD be tested under non cat rules as its before the August 92 deadline when all cars needed a CAT.
K-reg need one to pass the stricter emissions test, you can remove it and it will pass MOT if it passes emissions, but thats highly unlikely without the CAT.

As Mikey said, a lot of MOT testers have said that no nova is listed for the CAT test, so all are done under non cat rules.
Just depends which test station you go to, some will test under cat rules, some probably wont.
J reg's were still being issued after August 92 so they should be tested. And if an MOT'er knows that the car left the factory with a cat then 90% will test them accordingly (allowing 10% for cowboy garages).

Aragorn
27-07-05, 03:40 PM
it bears obsolutely no relevence to wether it came with a cat, only date of registration and engine number

if u have a H plate volvo 440 with cat and the cat is fucked it would still happily pass the MOT on a normal test as thats all its required to be tested on

similarly u could have a K plate GSi with a E16SE motor and no cat and it would be tested on a non-cat test as the engines incapable of working with a cat

notenuffhoursintheday
27-07-05, 06:11 PM
well im gonna tkae it off and open it up n pull the shit out and weld it back up coz if u use a pipe u get a rasp which i dont want :D if it fails on mot re retest :D do i have to do anything to engine its a 1.2 carb/injection

mad-driver
27-07-05, 11:11 PM
I heard that it's dependant on when the engine was made, coz mine is a K plate and doesnt have one; never has done, but it always sailed through MOTs.

Maybe my engine was made before Aug 92 but put in the car afterwards?

Aragorn
27-07-05, 11:42 PM
exactly, yours is a late registered 1.4SR, which cant run a cat, so its not tested as having one

Adam
28-07-05, 12:28 AM
I heard that it's dependant on when the engine was made, coz mine is a K plate and doesnt have one; never has done, but it always sailed through MOTs.

Maybe my engine was made before Aug 92 but put in the car afterwards?
IIRC no carb cars have a CAT fitted.
My astra was j-plate and didn't need a cat by law, but it could run one so it was fitted with one.

Ste_Nova
28-07-05, 08:55 AM
93/k reg very late 1.2i fitted with a c16se engine :roll:

doni_nova12
28-07-05, 11:06 AM
does that mean that i would have to get a cat for my nova, i fitted it with a 1.2 corsa engine n plate???

have a powerflow exhuast, make any difference?

mad-driver
28-07-05, 08:23 PM
IIRC no carb cars have a CAT fitted.

That's good to know...dont want it starving my performance :D

snapper
28-07-05, 08:58 PM
This is interesting. What would the regulations and rules be regarding a K plate C14SE engine converted to run twin 40 DCOE's?

mad-driver
29-07-05, 07:02 AM
This is interesting. What would the regulations and rules be regarding a K plate C14SE engine converted to run twin 40 DCOE's?

Surely if it started life as an sri it would have a CAT as standard so i would think it would have to keep it what ever you do to the engine

snapper
29-07-05, 07:52 AM
Carbs tend to kill CATs though, especially DCOEs.

mad-driver
29-07-05, 07:28 PM
Carbs tend to kill CATs though, especially DCOEs.

ahh... not very good in that department then lol

Aragorn
30-07-05, 12:56 PM
a K plated C14se engined car with DCOE's would need a cat and would prolly never pass the cat emissions test

a J plated C14SE would be fine

and a K plated 14NV with dcoe's would also be fine

snapper
30-07-05, 06:26 PM
Right. Thanks for clearing that up. Seems quite silly though.

Aragorn
30-07-05, 08:24 PM
yer but its basically like that so if a manufacturer had any left over non-cat ready motors they could still legally sell them without having to change the engine etc