PDA

View Full Version : need help with my c20-let

M_U_T_A_N_T21
26-07-05, 10:39 PM
well as some of you know my nova is now turboed but i have a big problem with it overheating an when it gets hot it splutters an you have no power it is fine when cold it was doing this in the calibra ive rebuilt the top end skimmed new valves,stem seals an head gasket ive even removed the stat an this has made no difference i have also noticed that my boost presure is almost going into the red (if that helps) the head is a cosscast and was checked over for cracks etc.. even with the fan on constant it still gets hot not so much when iderling but when you drive using the turbo it get very hot but im pretty stumped now my only clues are water pump or a blockage but all the pipes are red hot does anyone know what could be wrong :( :( :( :(

M_U_T_A_N_T21
26-07-05, 10:40 PM
the car is here with some not very good pictures of the engine
http://www.novaload.net/features/viewfeature.php?ref=2568

M_U_T_A_N_T21
26-07-05, 10:46 PM
another thing to ad is that could the spluttering be down to the heat in the engine bay from the over heating sucking hot air into the engine or could the map sensor be faulty but the managment light was not on in the calibra

Stuart
27-07-05, 08:30 AM
im guessing shes running lean/something is fooked

www.max-boost.co.uk should help.

skimming the head on a LEt is naughty lol

Aragorn
27-07-05, 12:00 PM
whats "in the red" on boost pressure?

if your running standard management and intercooler u shouldnt be holding anymore than 6psi

what radiator are you using and is there plenty of flow through it (ie u havent stuck some stupid bodykit on an blocked all the airflow) similar with the intercooler, what type and is it getting plenty airflow

it sounds like either your cooling system is unsatisfactory due to an old knackered radiator or not enough flow, or that the inlet charge temps are waay too high due to either too much boost or insufficient intercooling, or too much boost for the map meaning its leaning out

M_U_T_A_N_T21
27-07-05, 10:42 PM
i have a boost gauge fitted and its going into the red when booting it if you let off the throtle a little bit it stops i think it may be running to much boost all my cooling system is fine spent all day on it today no blockages the rad is fine even took the water pump off to check it and all is ok how do i turn my boost down i dont wanna turn it the wrong way an blow it up

Rick Draper
27-07-05, 10:56 PM
i have a boost gauge fitted and its going into the red when booting it if you let off the throtle a little bit it stops i think it may be running to much boost all my cooling system is fine spent all day on it today no blockages the rad is fine even took the water pump off to check it and all is ok how do i turn my boost down i dont wanna turn it the wrong way an blow it up

Unlkess its got a bleed valve fitted or the ecu is chipped you cannot run to much boost as the ecu will sense this and cut back the boost pressure causing your face to smack the windscreen.

Stuart
27-07-05, 11:02 PM
fooked amal valve causing too muhc boost? lol

Aragorn
27-07-05, 11:36 PM
i cant envisage a boost guage having a "red" zone?

seems stupid to me

10psi is dangerous on a standard LET but 20psi is fine on one running phase 3.5 with the correct intercooling etc?

a guage should have a scale on it not just colors

what pressure is it reaching, exactly

M_U_T_A_N_T21
28-07-05, 12:16 PM
the boost gauge does have numbers its hitting 0.5 (i think) an it idles at 1.0 is the amal valve the one with one pipe going to the turbo an another pipe going to the actuator (im stumped) :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

M_U_T_A_N_T21
28-07-05, 10:08 PM
the boost gauge does have numbers its hitting 0.5 (i think) an it idles at 1.0 is the amal valve the one with one pipe going to the turbo an another pipe going to the actuator (im stumped) :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

sorry im talking shit its reading -1.0 bar when idlerling and its reching 1.0 bar when booting it

Chris
28-07-05, 10:51 PM
does it hold boost at 1bar under acceleration?

M_U_T_A_N_T21
29-07-05, 08:53 PM
does it hold boost at 1bar under acceleration?

yes but with the spluttering its hard to keep it going

Ste_Nova
29-07-05, 09:01 PM
start by checking all the pipes are in the right places and non are split/cracked

you deffo need a new valeo rad fitted

M_U_T_A_N_T21
29-07-05, 09:31 PM
ran the car today drove it a good 4-5 mile when i started it from cold i drove it straight away an i notice a small amount of white smoke (which seams like water) this is with no blocks on my temp gauge when it reached 1 block the spluttering doesnt happen when 2 blocks are on the spluttering starts an its quite bad but it stops smoking at this point surly the spluttering isnt down to heat being drawn into the engine as its not even reached running temp hence this is with the fan on constant also. when running temp is reached it will stay at 3 blocks when driving even with the fan off at this point the spluttering has not changed its still quite bad an you carnt get power also when driving there isnt any smoke at all but when you leave it iderling after about 10 seconds it will smoke only slightly (white) also what happened today when the engine was spluttering it back fired. do you still think it could be down to my rad as i just carnt see how unless the calibra rad was fucked as well i replaced all the head gasket which was gone on number 4 do you think a conpression test is in order

Ste_Nova
30-07-05, 12:21 AM
sounds like a cracked head??