PDA

View Full Version : CV Joints and Bearings??

jock23
25-07-05, 10:10 PM
How much are we looking at for getting them replaced, and how easy is it to do????

My 1.2 Nova Mk2 seems to be very noisy from the front axle, especially over 40mph in a straight line. I dont think the noise is coming from the engine and our fitters at work took a quick look and seemed to think it might be the CV joints.

I know nothing about these things (or much about cars in general) so any advice if this is the problem???

Ta

mikey14sr
25-07-05, 10:36 PM
CV joints are fairly easy once you work out the circlip inside, the bearings are best left to a garage, although you caould remove the whole hub and take that in for them to help with the cost.

doni_nova12
25-07-05, 11:16 PM
my cv joints have also gone in my 1.2 nova, am gettin a homer from 2 mechanics from a toyota garage so should be fine for them but, solid for someone who doesnt know, wouldnt try it maself like.

cost roughly 30/40 for a pair of cv joints, so am jus gettin the full driveshaft kit as the gearbox linkage needs a bit of altering aswell.

garage would be wqquite pricey, so would prob think treble figures, but low.

jock23
28-07-05, 08:01 AM
Thanks for the help, but is there any tell tale signs that I can look at myself to tell whether my problem is the joints or something else.

Considering getting it taken into a garage and maybe getting it lowered at the same time as getting the joints done??

mikey14sr
28-07-05, 10:10 AM
Cv joints usally give a knocking sound at low speed on close to full steering lock when they're about to go. A wheel bearing will be a humming sound at just about any speed, possibly worsening when that side of the car is loaded up, such as going round a corner.

doni_nova12
28-07-05, 11:02 AM
what side is it? turn the full lock on tht side then turn an listen for a clicking or 'popping' noise coming from it, dont drive about in your car tho, cause you could lose your axel altogether(dont want tht like), also, driving in a straight line should give you the same kinda result.

hammer the accelrator down when moving and if it clicks, most probably is it.

cv jints dont really hav anythin to do wi your springs, jus get them in if you want, might be cheaper to get it done at the same time thats all

Stuart
28-07-05, 11:50 AM
what ever happened to getting the manual, some tools and some parts and doing it yourself?

doni_nova12
28-07-05, 12:04 PM
get your claws out stu :P

you can do it yourself, but sounds like he doesnt know what he's up to(no offence), but a wouldnt say it was the easiet job in the world.

jus jack it up, wheels off, take your driveshaft out-pop the new one back in.

game over

mikey14sr
28-07-05, 12:46 PM
I think we'll have to organise a group buy from Haynes!!