PDA

View Full Version : Brand new bearing and hub still wobbles????

Cathy
25-07-05, 05:34 PM
just put a new bearing in(took hub part to vauxhall dealer and they did it) and put it back on my car, with brake disc, calliper and the hub is still exactly wobbley like it was before, even before i dropped it to the ground?

Whats going on?

Spudly
25-07-05, 05:58 PM
Hmmm, id suggest checkin ball-joints bushes an track rod ends for play, but thats just a rough guess!!!!

Cathy
25-07-05, 06:04 PM
its ok, i tightened the hub nut and its ok now.

Aragorn
25-07-05, 06:23 PM
you do realise that nut needs done up to around 100nm, loosened off then tightened to 20nm + 90degrees???

and if its loose yes there will be loads of play and you'll kill the new bearing in no time

Cathy
25-07-05, 06:38 PM
cheers kev, ive done it up tight now and its not going anywhere, so i take it its to be done up bloody tight then?

Spudly
25-07-05, 06:46 PM
I think so if i remember right someone told me before that u gotta tighten em up rather tight then slacken em of bout a quarter turn or so to make sure they aint over tight i think but dont quote me on that lol!!!!

Cathy
25-07-05, 06:51 PM
yeah SRspudly i heard exactly the same, but im not sure if this was just for the rears?

mikey14sr
25-07-05, 06:53 PM
thats right, you have to whack em up then back off a little to pre-load the bearing, then tighten again as kev described to make sure they dont come loose, just like you do with a rear bearing.

Spudly
25-07-05, 06:56 PM
Woohoo i was right ooh i feel special now lol, ey mikey u from hull mate, me too, u ever go in town on a night (drivin i mean)

CP
25-07-05, 08:35 PM
The rear bearings don't need to be anywhere near as tight as the front's - they are fairly small taper bearings which just need to be nipped up enough to take the wobble out of them. Not alot more than finger tight really

Always re-check after driving them for a little bit. Jack up feel for play and also feel the hub around the bearing - if its too tight it will get hot

Philsutton
25-07-05, 09:18 PM
on nother note i took the drive shaft out of an astra today an the whole hub fell off lol.
But like said before the fronts need to be tight whereas the rears dont want to be that tight at all.

Snowface
25-07-05, 10:28 PM
its ok, i tightened the hub nut and its ok now.

always helps.

Lee
26-07-05, 10:25 PM
i find trying to move the washer with a screw driver on the rears is a good incication. If you can just move the washer its about right :lol: