PDA

View Full Version : 2.0 brakes?

Nath
25-07-05, 02:08 AM
quick question.... would i be able to run standered gte brakes with a red top engine? wouldnt need them on there for long just for a santa pod day out, because i want to run smallest wheels possible e.g my gte wheels

Spudly
25-07-05, 02:18 AM
Top of my head id say yes, but id put the best pads in that you could an make sure the discs r good, otherwise u wont be stoppin very quickly, an that aint a good thing at all, u dont wanna risk bendin yer nova as this could be a very costly mistake to make, personally id go for 15`s an stick a set of astra gte/ cav gsi discs pads an calipers, u wouldnt lose anything really on the rollin radius of the wheels if u get some 45 profiles an yer brakin will be miles better too!!!!

Hope that helps mate!!!

peester
25-07-05, 08:42 AM
ide have to disagree; if u drive a gte/gsi ull see that its brakes are too weak for the 100bhp small block lump. Theres no way ide leave the std brakes on for an xe, no way.

srs1
25-07-05, 09:33 AM
i also agree.

you'll only kill yourself getting to the pod to take it down the 1/4.
no point having that kind of power and not being able to stop.
go for 15" wheels. sure you can get them off an early vectra (4 stud steels) and that way it'd stay a sleeper.

Aragorn
25-07-05, 09:38 AM
15" wheels with the correct tyres will have the same rolling radius as the 14" wheels anyway, so it wont affect anything as the car travels the same distance on one revolution of the wheel

Nath
25-07-05, 09:52 AM
cheers guys, i think i will give it a miss then with the brakes and go full out and get a decent set. see ive never driven a gte spo i dont know what the brakes are like,but seeming as every other nova ive driven the brakes are shite i dont see why they would be better lol

Aragorn
25-07-05, 12:10 PM
yer the gte calipers are idenitcal, they are only ventilated so they dont overheat as quick, still not better at actually stopping the car

Stuart
25-07-05, 12:24 PM
you can get teh 256mm calipers under 14" wheels. ive got them under the 14*5.5j tims that i have :)

Philsutton
25-07-05, 01:26 PM
i put on some 1.3sr brakes to go down to pod in last year for my super small wheels. I nearly died on the motorway as forgot i had shit brakes an cooked them trying to stop lol

Aragorn
25-07-05, 05:20 PM
yer cav 2.0's had 14x5.5j steels and astra gte 16v's had 14x5.5j alloys

its getting them behind 14x4.5 or 14x5j nova gte wheels thats the problem

they will fit with worn disks n pads, but not new ones