PDA

View Full Version : Spark Missing Cyl 2&3

byd1380
23-07-05, 07:49 PM
I hava just fitted a c14se engine into my nova. I can get it to sort of run, but I am missing a spark on cyl 2&3. As far as I can see they get there signal from the ECU, I have checked power and grounds etc. Any Ideas??

Cheers

Ivan

Adam
23-07-05, 08:38 PM
Do you get a strong spark on the other two cylinders?

Could just be that the two spark plugs are no good. Try plugging a spark you know that works into the HT lead on one of the cylinders that isn't receiving a spark.

That would show you if the plug is at fault.
You could also try swapping the HT leads around to make sure its not the leads, but remembering to keep them in the right order(to the right cylinder)

It could also be a distributor problem, or the contact points inside the dizzy cap.

Lol, i have just thought, is this a distributor engine, or does it have a dispak(no distributor)??

Aragorn
23-07-05, 09:08 PM
if its dispak then one coil runs 1 and 4 and another coil runs 2 and 3 in wasted spark mode (2 and 3 fire together, with one at top of compression stroke and other at top of exhaust stroke)

so either the coil pack is half dead or the wiring to the dispak is broken

Phil_G
23-07-05, 09:28 PM
2nded

My friend had a coil pack jack in on his 405 SRi and these were the exact symptoms.

Phil

byd1380
24-07-05, 03:01 PM
I have tried new leads, plugs etc, it is the engine with the coilpack. I have also changed the coilpack, symptoms the same. As far the wiring goes, the car had no loom, i made my own, but as far as I can see everything is good, I have traced the wires from the coilpack to the ECU and the coilpack is also getting its +12 and ground, I think the ECU might be Dodgy.

I am going to have another play with it.

What is wasted spark?

Cheers
Ivan

Ste_Nova
24-07-05, 03:21 PM
What is wasted spark?

it sparks on the compression and exhaust strokes

Aragorn
25-07-05, 12:39 AM
coil pack doesnt just get 12v and ground?

it gets 12v, ground, fire1 and fire2

fire1 is banks 1 and 4
fire2 is banks 2 and 3

i'd guess the fire2 connection isnt right

byd1380
25-07-05, 12:39 PM
I think the ECU is the problem, all connections are fine, the two signal wires from the ecu are physically connected, the one for cylinders two and three isn't working.

What code should be on the ECU, mine is a UZ

I have got another loom today but it is for a distributer and has a YY code, will this work??

Any help greatly appreciated, starting to loose the plot!!

Anyone got a brian to suit?

Cheers

Ivan