PDA

View Full Version : steering wheel puller ASAP

Mike.
22-07-05, 10:44 PM
as the title says, sodding wheel won't come off so i'll have to buy the proper tool, were can i get one from

i've only had the new steering wheel since christmas :lol:

thanks mike

doug_sri
23-07-05, 01:01 AM
up in aberdeen most car accessory shops sell them like autosave an autoparts. halfords probably sell them to.

Mike.
23-07-05, 07:35 AM
i'll try my local, auto shops then mate

mike

ade
23-07-05, 11:24 AM
lol - a steering wheel puller aint gonna have much effect if you cannae get it off.

It still needs a fair amount of brute force!

:lol:

Just make sure the nut is still on (one or two threads) before removing because it will ping off at speed!

I found tapping it in the centre helped - dont hammer it though coz you may damage column.

You could also try using an extendable tyre iron and lever it through the wheel, pulling as you go - you may bend wheel but it will come off.

Other way it to tie rope around the top and bottom of wheel and thread out back hatch then give it a real good yank!

Nick
23-07-05, 11:50 AM
if you hammer it toooo hard the column will collapse slightly.

it'l then make a nasty clicking sound when you turn, just have to reset the U.J right down underneatht he dash and it'l go away .

Aragorn
23-07-05, 12:05 PM
ive done 4 or 5 with the proper puller and theyve come off almost instantly

it is definately much easier

however both the laser and draper pullers i tried didnt fit properly and need fettled with a grinder

mikey14sr
24-07-05, 10:18 AM
Have you managed to get one Mike?
If not, I can pop down with mine today.

Mike.
24-07-05, 11:12 AM
no i haven't found one yet mikey, thankyou pm me and i'll give you my phone number and other relevant details lol :lol:

Ben
24-07-05, 09:07 PM
You need a proper hydrulic puller if going that way.

I just undo the nut and then put the nut back on but only just so the column thread isnt exposed, push my knees under the bottom of the wheel and pull the top while someone else beats fuck into the nut with a hammer.

They pop off in seconds. Have done around 75+this way.

Purplehayz_868
25-07-05, 03:40 PM
Just give it a good hard whack a few times from behind and it will come off, thats how ive always got mine off

nova_nutta
25-07-05, 03:50 PM
i had this problem in my old nova i was pulling it for hours even got a jack behind it and got some of this lads to help with no luck but instead of pulling it i tryed puting a bit of wood on it and hitting it with a lump hammer and it came of straight away so before you go and buy a puller give that a go chap

Jay