PDA

View Full Version : Fitting gsi spoiler to standard mk2 boot

Adam
19-07-05, 08:44 PM
The original plan was to bond it on with tigerseal.
But having got the spoiler today and felt the weight of it, i think i need a new plan :lol:

Has anyone tigersealed theres on, and has the spoiler stayed attached? :lol:

Or is it best to drill the holes for the bolts in the spoiler?

I don' really want to drill holes in my rust free boot, unless i have to.

notenuffhoursintheday
19-07-05, 08:56 PM
if i was u mate id bolt it on coz if u tigerseal then theres a chance of sum c*** ripping it off and u dont want that ive got gte one and on mine i just marked up the holes and drilled away then bolted it on with tigerseal for sealant :D

Nick
19-07-05, 09:25 PM
right, on the bottom of the spoiler, there should be 4 "prongs/studs" with threads on the end of them.

If your's have been molested, i do have a completet SRi white tailgate and spoiler in my shed - even has a number plate lol

You need to drill holes in the tailgate, and then use some m3 tape to stick it on as backup.

If you really ask me nicely, i could go and measure all the holes on the tailgate , as you'd have to be pretty flukey to drill the holes in exactly the right places !

Jack
19-07-05, 10:25 PM
Has anyone tigersealed theres on
Yes :D

and has the spoiler stayed attached? :lol:

.....no :lol:

Adam
20-07-05, 12:17 AM
right, on the bottom of the spoiler, there should be 4 "prongs/studs" with threads on the end of them.

If your's have been molested, i do have a completet SRi white tailgate and spoiler in my shed - even has a number plate lol

You need to drill holes in the tailgate, and then use some m3 tape to stick it on as backup.

If you really ask me nicely, i could go and measure all the holes on the tailgate , as you'd have to be pretty flukey to drill the holes in exactly the right places !
Yeah, it has the 4 prongs, but the threads look a bit poor, i guess the prongs go through both skins on the boot, the outer and the inner?

If you could go and measure me the holes, that would be a MAHOOSIVE help for me, thanks :+:
Or even better, you could swap your sri tailgate with the spoiler on, for my tailgate and the spoiler i have :lol: :)

Jack-Thanks for vote of confidence in the tigerseal method :roll: :lol: LMAO

sickrabbit
20-07-05, 08:11 AM
Mate , I couldnt believe the wieght of these things either - now I,m not afraid to have a go at most things , but budge this up and the repair bill wont be funny . You,ve also gotta remember to get the thing on in the correct place so as on opening the boot nothing catches . My avise is to get either someone who has done this before ( its worth a few beer tokens ) or get a bodyshop to fit it . It is only a few holes , but its better to be safe than sorry. Mine was put in place by a body shop for ?30 and I was scorned for it by my brothers next doors . But , you should see the hell of a mess he made of his come fitting time.........

Adam
20-07-05, 03:18 PM
Yeah could get a bodyshop do it mate, but i don't do bodyshops :lol:

Nick-Could you take a pic of the bootlid without the spoiler on, so i can get a rough idea of the position the holes should be in?
:+:

Nick
20-07-05, 05:59 PM
yep i'l try get it out my shed and take a pic, basically the lips of the spoiler fit perfectly round the edge of the tailgate.

However, the prongs go through at an angle, so your never going to beable to drill the inner skin right.

I'l take some measurments (diagonals) from corners on the tailgate, this will mark out exactly each point of where to drill a hole, inside and out. bear with me as i'm quite busy but it's the safeest way.

P.s i am 1/2 a surveyor so measuring things is what i do half the time at work lol

Jack
20-07-05, 06:19 PM
P.s i am 1/2 a surveyor so measuring things is what i do half the time at work lol
Expect lots of over complex measurements and geometrics then :lol:

Nick
20-07-05, 07:03 PM
triangulations my good friend

60/60/60 is the key !

I'l go do it now mate.. pretty bored lol

Jack
20-07-05, 07:05 PM
http://www.kuce.org/programs/kapc/images/surveyor.jpg

Adam
20-07-05, 07:08 PM
http://www.kuce.org/programs/kapc/images/surveyor.jpg
google tastic :roll: :lol:
I don't think nick will be using one of them for the measurements :lol:

or will he :o :lol:

Nice one nick :+:

inel
20-07-05, 07:24 PM
I thought it would be easy but you've scared me about putting it on myself now :P Measurements would be useful.

Nick
20-07-05, 08:59 PM
lol i wont be using a level - That spanner is a ponce, the level doesn't even look level - thus meaning he's leveling unlevelly

First, was to rip it off and add it to the pile lol

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v626/j829nick/5d6e6cc0.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v626/j829nick/IMG_0890.jpg

anyway, here is is = note my little shit CAD drawing - yes it really did take me 5 seconds lol

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v626/j829nick/0e3d34b8.jpg

Along the top are some additional dimensions - use these to check the position of your holes once you have done the step below !

EXTERNAL DIMENSIONS

W - point A 700mm
W - point B 1240mm

X - point A 895mm
X - point B 970mm

Y - point A 965mm
Y - point B 895mm

Z - point A 1245mm
Z - point B 695mm

INTERNAL DIMENSIONS

W - point A 700mm
W - point B 1230mm

X - point A 890mm
X - point B 960mm

Y - point A 960mm
Y - point B 890mm

Z - point A 1230mm
Z - point B 700mm

ADDITIONAL DIMENSIONS

top of tailgate - W = 60mm
top of tailgate - X = 61mm
top of tailgate - Y = 60mm
top of tailgate - Z = 57mm

As you can see, the CENTER of each hole is measured diagonally back to corner B and corner A. Use a soft material tape measure, and push it flat onto the shape of the tailgate and measure.

The idea is that, the ends of the lines will only meet at one certain point.

Get a mate to help you, and when you've got the soft tape to the right length, use a pen to draw an arc as you move the tape in a circular motion ! Or you could use some string cutt to the right length with a pen tied on the end.

This way you'l construct an ARC from point A and point B, these arcs will only cross in one point, This is the point where the hole should be drilled. It's basically like using a pair of compasses - but obviously this is a substitute lol

To cross reference this, i have included some additional dimensions,from the side and above. use these to check the position of the diagonals. You may have to "split the difference" but they should all line up in a straight line. I have provided the measurements from the same corners but on the inside of the tailgate. As you can see the measurments are what you'd expect, the far left hole mirrors the far right hole e.t.c

here are some pics giving the points where i measured from.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v626/j829nick/IMG_0894.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v626/j829nick/IMG_0895.jpg

On the corners, i measured from the very tip of the curved edge. Obviously i held it tight and flush to the tailgate, but this is just a demo pic.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v626/j829nick/IMG_0892.jpg

I layed the tape down paralell near the hole, and measured from the edge of the tailgate . Then i measured between the centres of the holes.

REMEMBER THE MEASURMENTS ARE TO THE CENTRE OF EACH HOLE. the DIAMETER of each holes is roughly 8mm.

Don't be hesitant to ask, it's very very simple the hardest bit to understand is about the two arcs really - it's all called triangulation. Don't follow this if you don't like, but i'm confident it should work nicely !

Adam
20-07-05, 09:12 PM
:o right, wheres my printer :lol:

Thanks a lot nick.
Mods-I think that much effort deserves to be made into a guide on How to fit a GSI/SRI spoiler :wink:

Nick-You have got a glacier white spoiler :evil: and i have just spent today spraying mine, badly with cans. :roll:

Nick
20-07-05, 09:15 PM
ooh i have two if you look at the pile lol !

i've thought of an easier way to do the arcs.

get two peices of string, cutt them both to the length of the dimensions to point A and point B then holding one end at point B and the end of the other one at point A. They should meet in one place only - It's another way of doing it without drawing the arc. (you'l need a mate to do this with you)

just bear with it, as it may not come to you as easily as me, as i have to do this for my job you see - The measurments should be a really helpful guide tho .

Jack
20-07-05, 09:17 PM
...and that's why Nick is Nerd Of The Week :lol:

Very good guide tho.... possible sticky or link in tech guides stick in the Tech forum? (yes I know its styling but the amount of maths Nick's put in there you need a technical degree to follow it :lol:)

Nick
20-07-05, 09:21 PM
lol it's hardly complicated, you do this kinda thing at secondary school

8) 8) 8) 8) i think it should be on the homepage lol

Riggy
20-07-05, 09:23 PM
^^^ pmsl a link on the homepage "HOW TO FIT A GSI SPOILER" (WARNING MATHS DEGREE NEEDED LOL)

nice one nick i might actually fit mine soon then :lol:

Nick
20-07-05, 09:25 PM
lol - you never know, i may actually get round to doing mine as well lol

Adam
20-07-05, 09:25 PM

Lol, not in mine :o

I think your guide is more precise than the method vauxhall must of used originally. :lol:

I second the link on the homepage :wink: lol

Mike.
20-07-05, 11:07 PM

8) 8) 8) 8) i think it should be on the homepage lol

not at my secondary school :lol:

Adam
21-07-05, 12:45 AM
Told you its worthy of a Sticky in the forum :)

My name has gone down in history,as the person that started the thread :lol:
it will be there forever now :) :lol:

steviegsi
23-07-05, 03:18 AM
:o right, wheres my printer :lol:

Thanks a lot nick.
Mods-I think that much effort deserves to be made into a guide on How to fit a GSI/SRI spoiler :wink:

Nick-You have got a glacier white spoiler :evil: and i have just spent today spraying mine, badly with cans. :roll:

FUCKIN SNAP!!!!!!!!!!! didnt do to bad a job if i do say so myself. blindly drilling into my shiny bootlid was a head scratcher too.....ur diagram wood have came in very handy indeed

Adam
24-07-05, 12:28 AM
I have yet to fit drill my boot.
As halfords have got to order me in some glacier white spray paint so i can finish spraying the spoiler. :roll:

I will let everyone know how it goes :wink: fingers crossed :lol:

Gistra-Nova
29-08-05, 01:46 PM
great guide, spot on 1st time, cheers.

I now have a silver bog standard merit with a gsi spoiler in that sky blue sort of colour, anyone know the name of this?

Adam
07-09-05, 07:50 PM

I now have a silver bog standard merit with a gsi spoiler in that sky blue sort of colour, anyone know the name of this?
Cool.
So the spoiler fitted correctly using the guide?
I aint fitted mine :lol:
i think i am sticking to the spoiler-less look.

Mike.
07-09-05, 09:01 PM

Cool.
So the spoiler fitted correctly using the guide?
I aint fitted mine :lol:
i think i am sticking to the spoiler-less look.

lol, thats just being lazy :lol:

Gistra-Nova
08-09-05, 06:41 PM
yeah the guide is spot on.

Nick
27-09-05, 05:06 PM
christ - i wrote it and i wasn't even brave enough to attempt it lol

Adam
05-02-06, 06:12 PM
Guess what, i got round to having a go at fitting mine today,lol.
It went pretty smoothly, apart from the inside of the boot being about 7mm thick,Lol.
After breaking two drill bits and having plenty of burning paint smoke, its on.

Im pretty happy with the result, the holes are about correct, one side on mine should have been a bit higher up, but it'll do.

Few pics:-
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v86/Nova-crew/gsi-2.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v86/Nova-crew/gsi-3.jpg

Good guide Nick, it does help a lot :thumb:

Mike.
06-02-06, 09:40 PM
lmao, how many layers of dust did that spoiler have on it then ad lol , glad you got round to fitting it, job well done mate :thumb:

Adam
07-02-06, 01:01 AM
I had to find it, and dig it out of the loft,lol

Riggy
07-02-06, 05:49 PM
looking top fella , as you said before i opted for the easy way out and fitted a full sri tailgate lol :thumb:

Iain
08-02-06, 06:10 PM
Forgot to post my success story. Yeah the inner metal was a bit of a bitch lol The right seems slightly high on mine but it's good enough for me :thumb:

http://www.iainel.co.uk/images/forums/spoiler.JPG

Adam
08-02-06, 06:25 PM
Lol.
Good to see two success stories.
Nice one mate :thumb:

novamadcars
08-02-06, 09:06 PM
ive got a gsi spoiler in my shed want 2 ft it 2 my smooth boot before i actully put it on the only problem is it dosent have any bolts looks like thay have been cutten off is thair any other way i can fit this ?
cheers

Adam
09-02-06, 05:52 PM
You could try bonding it on with tigerseal.
But its quite a weight to hold with just adhesive.

Iain
09-02-06, 06:32 PM
You could try bonding it on with tigerseal.
But its quite a weight to hold with just adhesive.
Yeah they're frigging heavy aren't they :eek: Buy a new one, they're not too expensive :p Other than that try screwing it in from the inside in to the spoiler?

novamadcars
10-02-06, 11:07 AM
looks like ill be buying a new 1 then

buster12345
20-02-06, 04:59 PM
sod it i just got a bodyshope to fit my ?400 kingdome spoiler lot easer lol

novamadcars
30-03-06, 05:47 PM
its alot easer doing it that way but illed rather save that money and try fitting it my self

Adam
30-03-06, 05:55 PM
Yep, its more fun doing it yourself too lol

Nath
10-09-06, 06:18 PM
well ive sprayed mine up today and shall be attempting fitting it tommorow using nicks guide so wish me luck! and adam im not going to be using a wood bit like you ;)

Adam
10-09-06, 06:27 PM
lol
Aye, try a metal drill bit. Lol

NASTYNOVA
16-09-07, 09:33 PM
like your car boss, but i would use bolts, have less chance of losing it then!!

8v screamer
11-03-08, 05:11 PM
noticed a few people mentioned the word heavy in this thread , anyone know roughly how heavy cos if there that wieghty i wont be fitting one to mine lol

Lloyd

mk2maniac
14-02-09, 05:08 PM

is your tailgate still knocking around and is it in good nick?
if so i would be interested in buying it
luke

Jay
14-02-09, 05:12 PM
Look at the date you fool!

Chrishowes
10-05-10, 10:00 PM
hi i just bought my gsi spoiler and look forward to fitting it but unfortunatly it came with no nuts for the ends of the pin things anyone know what kind id need? cheers chris

Iain
10-05-10, 10:07 PM
Might be able to get 'em from Vauxhall. Think they're the same nuts that are used on the exhaust heatshield under the car too!

Adam
10-05-10, 10:09 PM
They do look the same /\

Chrishowes
10-05-10, 10:20 PM
do the threads look more like screw thread (more spaced) rather then bolt thread? cheers

Chrishowes
25-05-10, 10:56 AM
anyone know? cheers sorry to repost really want to fit it, if i cant find the nuts my old mans a welder (handy when owning a nova :D) and said he could weld some m6 bolts to the end of the fat part of the pins, what do people think? cheers chris

Yung Deano
16-07-10, 09:10 PM
dont drill no holes please lol, i stuck mine down wiv windowscreen glue and you anit ripping that off mate ....

Balley
17-03-11, 11:32 AM
Mine is stuck on with double sided tape, has been on for 2 years now :)