PDA

View Full Version : Oil Leak - Plz Help

lauriedatlen
19-07-05, 05:19 PM
i have a diesel engine that has an oil leak. The leak is not comming from the sump but is dripping from directly below the cam belt area. The meachanic says most diesels leak oil at some point but looking at it, it could be the cam seals or crankshaft seal. He only charges 150 quid to replace the head gasket and timing belt but he says its least likely to be that.

What i wanted to know was what is the most liekly cause of the leak (i know it could be loads i.e - head gasket, cam seals, crankshaft ect) listed in order of most to least liekly. I also wanted to know is 150 quid is cheap for the head gasket and timing belt inc labour and if so would this be the most expensive problem that it could be???? ( ie meaning that any toher problem ie cam seals etc would be cheaper)

your help would be gladly appreciated.

Riggy
19-07-05, 06:29 PM
have you made sure its not comming from the rocker cover as the gasket leaks and oil will drip down the engine

lauriedatlen
19-07-05, 06:55 PM
Yeah i removed rocker cover and resealed it with new gasket. so not that :( .

Is the head gasket usually the most expensive option to have replaced. Surely an oil seal, either crankshaft or camshaft would not require removing the head, just the belts so the labour charge would be less.

My mechanic charges only 20 quid per hour labour plus parts, so is fairly cheap and any oil leak cause cant take more than 5 hours surely, so that would only be 100 quid plus parts???