PDA

View Full Version : problems problems!!!!

novaco
18-07-05, 07:04 PM
hey guys i recently took the head off my car inoreder to clean her up a little! 8)

however.....yesturday when i went to put it back together everything was going well until i went to start her. it makes a noise as if t is going to start but just will not fire :( :( im reeli gutted

i have been told that it is due to the timing not being set right?? is this true???

everything as working fine before i took it apart so i dont think it can be anything else!

cheers for any help!

Karl!

slammed saloon
18-07-05, 07:17 PM
could very well be the timing mate that can definitely stop it firing if its out, check it n see!

novaco
18-07-05, 07:21 PM
whats the easiest way to get it right though is there an easy way??

i have a groove on the cog and a groove on the plastic surround ive tried matching these up bit still no luck?

are there any signs in particular i should look for??

slammed saloon
18-07-05, 07:25 PM
think from memory when i did the head gasket on my old 1.4 there is a mark on the crank pulley which you need to line up with the one on the cam puklley. have you got spark at the plugs? get an old spark plug pull a lead off and sit the plug in it then sit the plug on the head and turn the car over to see if it sparks. any good?

Riggy
18-07-05, 07:29 PM
sounds daft but is usally the probleam :lol:

are all your ht leads in the right order :lol:

novaco
18-07-05, 07:29 PM
i have reeli good sparks on all four plugs!! and i know that petrol is getting through if that will narrow it down :cry:

Riggy
18-07-05, 07:30 PM
p.s and on a 1.4 the dizzy and coil wires have to be plugged in just incase you have forgot as i have in the past :lol:

slammed saloon
18-07-05, 07:31 PM
check the timing is spot on mate if spark and fuel aint meetin then it wnt start. fix?

novaco
18-07-05, 07:33 PM
coil wires?? lol :oops:

when i took it off the onli things i disconnected were the distributor, the petrol pipes going to and from the pump the breather pipe, the timing belt and a wire with a black clip on the end wich plugs into the distributor

slammed saloon
18-07-05, 07:34 PM
check that the pulley mark n the crank pulley mark are ligned up if u got spark it wnt be the coil

Riggy
18-07-05, 07:34 PM
lol its the wire which plugs into the coil and the dizzy with the black plugs on it :lol: i know i have done it atleast 2 or 3 times

slammed saloon
18-07-05, 07:36 PM
wat timed it up wrng?

novaco
18-07-05, 07:40 PM
i have tried matching the two lines up but it still wont fire!
(this would be 12 oclock) lol

i then tried it at 3,6 and nine oclock and still no luck

i dont know wether to keep going or just give up and leave it to the experts?

slammed saloon
18-07-05, 07:47 PM
you sure youve got fuel and good clean spark? itll be crank mark at bout 12 n cam pulley mark at bout 6 if i member right. dnt turn it over unless ti ings right cuz youll send the valves into the pistons n thats expensive

Adam
18-07-05, 07:48 PM
Line up the cam mark with the cam cover mark
then the crank marker with the marker near the oil pump IIRC.

Don't turn the sprockets seperately else you will lose where you were and could throw the timing way out and break valves etc.

The crank does 2 revolutions for 1 of the cam.

slammed saloon
18-07-05, 07:57 PM
thats right cuz crank lign is just under oil pump. fixed it?

Adam
18-07-05, 08:11 PM
Novaco-The moral of the story, don't mess with what ain't broke :wink: :lol:

Once its timed right, or almost right, it SHOULD start :wink:

novaco
18-07-05, 08:50 PM
i guess its true you do learn by your mistakes ay!!

i guess it doesnt help when you dont have a clue on what your doing i should stick to bodywork!!

so if i line the top one up whats the other one i have to line up and where is it???

sorry for being so glum lol :oops: :oops: :oops:

Adam
18-07-05, 08:55 PM
i guess its true you do learn by your mistakes ay!!

i guess it doesnt help when you dont have a clue on what your doing i should stick to bodywork!!

so if i line the top one up whats the other one i have to line up and where is it???

sorry for being so glum lol :oops: :oops: :oops:
Lol, i can't believe you took it apart without knowing how it goes back together.

You have the cam pulley
and the crank pulley.
Both have a mark on them.
Both marks need to be aligned with their corresponding marks(cam to the cam cover mark) (crank to the mark on the engine block)
So they are then in time with each other.

Do you have anyone that could help you?

novaco
18-07-05, 09:19 PM
nope lol theres novasteve but he aint got a clue either lol and as for my dad i wouldnt let him near my nova again as he is responsible for this:
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a50/novaco/Picture008.jpg
and he can no longer be trusted with her.

i could try the mechanic @ work but hes an alcoholic lol and has a tendensy of taking things off and forgetting to put them back on.

i guess i just got to keep trying and hope for the best!!

ps anyother geordie members feel free to pm me if you fel the need to help and not see me struggle!